Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-22-2004, 09:58 PM   #61
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Okay, so I've started reading P & P, and I'm loving it! It took me a while to get into it, but I'm glad I stuck with it. I just got up to the bit where Lizzy turns down Darcy's marriage proposal. Classic stuff! Mrs. Bennet, my god, how can that idiot have managed to birth someone so ... sensible... like Lizzy. I hate her!
Yes. In the BBC mini-series you just think she's a stupid fool! And aren't you so annoyed that Lizzy turned down the proposal!

Austenites (as you all should be called ); another good period movie (its actually more around the turn of the century, 1900), is "A Room with a View," based on the short story by...Forester.

And don't forget to visit the Entmoot of Austen on the web-- www.pemberley.com
Its a great messageboard, info on everything possible, etc.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:09 AM   #62
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercutio
Yes. In the BBC mini-series you just think she's a stupid fool! And aren't you so annoyed that Lizzy turned down the proposal!
No, because I didn't particularly like his character (don't hurt me! ), but now that I've progressed well into vol III, I can see the various attractions to Mr. Darcy, and so I want to kick Lizzy for turning him down!
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:21 AM   #63
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Okay, so I've started reading P & P, and I'm loving it! It took me a while to get into it, but I'm glad I stuck with it. I just got up to the bit where Lizzy turns down Darcy's marriage proposal. Classic stuff!

Great scene!

I'm glad you're liking it - it just gets better, IMO, as it goes on.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:18 AM   #64
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I finished it last night. I really enjoyed it, but the ending was a bit of a let down for me. It felt a bit hurried and weak. Of course, I WAS reading it whilst waiting for take-aways, so that might've jinxed it somewhat. Darcy though, what a babe!
Old 06-24-2004, 12:59 PM   #65
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yeah! *sighs*

I love the part where it says (roughly) Elizabeth gloried in every sensible sentence of her aunt and uncle - poor thing! she was so embarassed by her family, and so glad to have at least 2 relatives she could be proud of!

I love the proposal part, too - so humble yet honest and straightforward and passionate by Darcy - "You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged, but one word from you will silence me on this subject forever." And how Austen doesn't give Lizzy's actual answer. And how Darcy's "heart-felt delight" was shown on his face, but Lizzy wasn't able to look at him (but WE, the readers, got that glimpse!)

Was it in this book where it said something about someone not speaking much, but something like "the 5 parts of speech shone out from his eyes, and she could combine them at her ease"? I like that idea.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 07-15-2004, 08:51 PM   #66
Mercutio

Another P&P is coming out. With Keira Knightley as Lizzy and some Scottish actor nobody heard of as Darcy. Imagine Darcy saying "She's tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me" about Keira! Inconceivable! And plus, the '95 or whatever version with Firth and Ehle was amazing. It was, is, and will always be the definitive P&P.

Old 07-16-2004, 11:29 AM   #67
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Yes, I don't know why anyone should think another adaptation is necessary, for the moment at least. I do see the advantage of casting a slighter younger Lizzy (she is meant to be only 21) but I thought Jennifer Ehle was excellent, and Keira Knightley's really not of the same standard. I'm interested by the idea of Matthew MacFayden as Darcy - he's a talented actor, but I don't think he'll have the same... er... impact as Colin Firth did on the female audience

However, there was talk at one point of casting Orlando Bloom as Darcy so maybe we should be grateful for small mercies...
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:03 PM   #68
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star

However, there was talk at one point of casting Orlando Bloom as Darcy so maybe we should be grateful for small mercies...
*phew*

Old 07-27-2004, 02:36 AM   #69
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm now reading Northanger Abbey, and I have to say that I'm enjoying it *more* than P & P. I'm just loving it so much, and some of Catherine's comments are just hysterically funny. I'm up to just past vol I, and already, Isabella is driving me nuts, and as for her stupid brother.... Wow, I guess it really is a testament to Austen, that I find some of her characters so despicable! (to echo what a previous poster said).
Old 08-01-2004, 01:26 AM   #70
Rían

Be sure to read Sense & Sensibility, too

Old 08-01-2004, 01:41 AM   #71
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
If you like Austen and the BBC Pride and Prejudice (with Colin Firth), you'll love the book "The Making of Pride and Prejudice." It talks about filming, sites, actors, interviews, costuming, writin the script, etc.
Part I of that is on tonight, yay. Colin Firth is fine as Darcy, but I couldn't stand Alan Rickman as Col. Christopher Brandon in Sense & Sensibility. I just wasn't able to get the image of Snape out of my head...
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 01:47 AM   #72
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Be sure to read Sense & Sensibility, too
I do plan on reading it at a later stage, but it will have to wait a bit until I've caught up on my reading. (too little time!)
Old 08-02-2004, 12:32 PM   #73
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
Part I of that is on tonight, yay. Colin Firth is fine as Darcy, but I couldn't stand Alan Rickman as Col. Christopher Brandon in Sense & Sensibility. I just wasn't able to get the image of Snape out of my head...
Funny. It had the opposite effect on me. Whenever I see Snape I can't get Colonel Brandon out of my head!

Old 08-12-2004, 07:14 AM   #74
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Funny. It had the opposite effect on me. Whenever I see Snape I can't get Colonel Brandon out of my head!
I suppose it depends on what you saw first - Harry Potter or Sense and Sensibility.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:04 PM   #75
Mercutio

I'm not actually sure... I think Harry Potter I, however then I watched S&S a few times so it was stuck in my head more.

Old 08-31-2004, 08:23 AM   #76
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I have one more chapter left of 'Emma' to read. You were right BoP and RÃ*an, it does get better. The majority of it was slow-moving though, IMO. I just wished that Miss Bates or Mrs Elton or Frank Churchill would shut up sometimes- pages and pages of their rambling! But it's still great.

A question. In both P&P and Emma, main characters are called Jane. Does Austen give any other characters her name, and why does she use it? I just find it interesting that she'd name characters Jane, because I know if I wrote something, I wouldn't use my name. Or was Jane just a particularly popular name then, and she wanted to reflect that?

Last edited by Linaewen : 08-31-2004 at 08:25 AM.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 11:48 AM   #77
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
I'm now reading Northanger Abbey, and I have to say that I'm enjoying it *more* than P & P. I'm just loving it so much, and some of Catherine's comments are just hysterically funny. I'm up to just past vol I, and already, Isabella is driving me nuts, and as for her stupid brother.... Wow, I guess it really is a testament to Austen, that I find some of her characters so despicable! (to echo what a previous poster said).
I've seen the movies to many of Jane Austen's books. Northanger Abbey happens to be the only one I've actually read, but it was excellent! I vastly enjoyed some of those parts with Catherine in the Abbey. Blundering around in the dark for ages to open that cabinet, for example . Or have you gotten that far? Sorry, won't give any more spoilers, but that book was really hilarious .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 05:45 PM   #78
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Oh, I finished it ages ago. I've since read Emma, and Persuasion is on my reading list shortly, once I finish Beowulf. (Maybe, it's a toss-up between P and Seven Pillars of Wisdom by TE Lawrence.)
Old 08-31-2004, 05:48 PM   #79
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
I have one more chapter left of 'Emma' to read. You were right BoP and RÃ*an, it does get better. The majority of it was slow-moving though, IMO. I just wished that Miss Bates or Mrs Elton or Frank Churchill would shut up sometimes- pages and pages of their rambling! But it's still great.
I actually enjoyed Miss Bates ramblings... they were funny. As for Mrs Elton.... man, I know she kinda got her comeuppance with Emma marrying so much better than HER, but it was a little too subtle for me - I wanted her to be beaten with sharp pointy sticks! Oh well.... Again, Jane Austen writes remarkably horrid characters... all part of the charm, I guess.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 08-31-2004 at 05:50 PM. Reason: whoopsie, wrong name
Old 08-31-2004, 05:57 PM   #80
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Another P&P is coming out. With Keira Knightley as Lizzy and some Scottish actor nobody heard of as Darcy. Imagine Darcy saying "She's tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me" about Keira! Inconceivable! And plus, the '95 or whatever version with Firth and Ehle was amazing. It was, is, and will always be the definitive P&P.
Bach! No! Keira Knightly? thats like asking John Goodman to play Don Quixote!

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote