Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-21-2003, 01:59 PM   #1
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Jane Austen

I was surprised to see there isn't a thread dedicated to Jane Austen, because normally wherever you find well-read, intelligent people, you find Austen fans

So, what's your favourite novel and why (first person to say something other than Pride and Prejudice gets a prize... I mean, is very clever indeed)? Has anyone read her juvenalia? It's very funny
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 05:31 PM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I've only read Pride and Prejudice, but I enjoyed it immensely.

There's just something about Austen's writing that's so warm and cozy.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 07:32 PM   #3
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

I love Jane Austen, though it's been years since I read any of her books. The only one I own, by the way, is Northanger Abbey -- definitely my favorite. It's a glorious spoof of late 18th c. Gothic, complete with fainting heroines and a haunted medieval abbey!

does this mean I'm very clever? always wanted to be clever....

Last edited by Hasty Ent : 05-21-2003 at 08:00 PM.
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 07:44 PM   #4
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Yes, I read Pride and Prejudice. Didn't Jane Austen also write Sense and Sensiblity? I didn't read that though.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 10:33 PM   #5
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Yes, Jane Austen also wrote Sense and Sensibility.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 02:46 PM   #6
Laurus Nobilis
Enting

I love Jane Austen! So far I've read Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility, and Masfield Park.

I liked Pride & Prejudice especially- I loved the irony in it. (And I also loved Darcy, of course!)
"...So the essential Quest started at once. But I met a lot of things on the way that astonished me. Tom Bombadil I knew already; but I had never been to Bree. Strider sitting in the corner at the inn was a shock, and I had no more idea who he was than had Frodo. The Mines of Moria had been a mere name; and of Lothlórien no word had reached my mortal ears till I came there. Far away I knew there were the Horse-lords on the confines of an ancient Kingdom of Men, but Fangorn Forest was an unforeseen adventure." ~ J. R. R. Tolkien
Laurus Nobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 09:50 PM   #7
Silpion
Elven Warrior

I have read "Pride and Prejudice", "Sense and Sensibility", "Emma", and "Persuasion". I have yet to read "Mansfield Park" or "Northanger Abbey". My favorite is "Persuasion". The characters are mature but flawed people. Sometimes when I read it there was just sadness at the situation, but the pay-off at the end was worth it.
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 02:53 PM   #8
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I read Emma for my English lit class. Quite good actually. A feel good book.
Old 05-24-2003, 02:25 PM   #9
azalea
Long lost mooter

I'm a Jane Austen fan as well. I've read Pride and Prejudice at least twice, Emma, and Northanger Abbey. I own a nice hardcover of Sense and Sensibility, but I don't think I've read it yet (I've been reading a long time, so I sometimes forget if I've read something or not! Sometimes I'll start reading something I don't think I've read before, and I realize that I have). Emma is a work of genius, but sorry, I can't honestly say that I like it better than P&P, one of the best books ever written, IMO.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 09:56 PM   #10
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors. A few years back I bought "The Complete Works" in paperback and I have several of the novels in hardback. I have a lovely little pocket-size hardback edition of Persuasion. Pride and Prejudice would be on my list of books to take to a desert island. I reread it at least once a year as well as Persuasion.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 01:45 PM   #11
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
I've only ever read Pride and Prejudice but I really liked it and kept meaning to read other books by the author. It says something about the quality of her books that they are still read by people of all ages and from all over the world nearly 200 years after she wrote them (P&P was writen in 1813!)

Because she got to the heart of the characters (and human nature hasn't changed all that much for thousands of years), despite society being totally different, we can still recognise the power of her work.

So, which of her books should I read next? Any suggestions of which one and why from those who have read them all?
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 03:09 PM   #12
Annabelle
Sapling

My favorite Jane Austen novel is "Sense and Sensibility". The story and characters are delightful. The story contains drama, but a lot of laughs as well. I think it is her best work!

So, there is my recommendation
Old 07-23-2003, 12:55 PM   #13
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

emma. that was my first austen book. i will read P&P very soon, if i can help it and if fortune's my way...i will read all the books by austen. all
Old 07-27-2003, 12:20 PM   #14
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

I love most of Jane Austen, but I HATE "Mansfield Park".

Fanny... totally insipid and a snob.

Mary Crawford ...Yeah! Glad she didn't end up with that dolt Edmund- he and Fanny deserve each other.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 02:56 PM   #15
Laurus Nobilis
Enting

Quote:
Glad she didn't end up with that dolt Edmund- he and Fanny deserve each other.
Couldn't agree more! I liked Masfield Park as a book because the plot was interesting, but the main characters were just- yawn. Which surprised me a lot, actually, since I loved Sense and Sensibility and [/i]Pride and Prejudice[/i].
"...So the essential Quest started at once. But I met a lot of things on the way that astonished me. Tom Bombadil I knew already; but I had never been to Bree. Strider sitting in the corner at the inn was a shock, and I had no more idea who he was than had Frodo. The Mines of Moria had been a mere name; and of Lothlórien no word had reached my mortal ears till I came there. Far away I knew there were the Horse-lords on the confines of an ancient Kingdom of Men, but Fangorn Forest was an unforeseen adventure." ~ J. R. R. Tolkien
Laurus Nobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:45 PM   #16
Percy Weasley
Enting

Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors. Very few are able to create such biting commentary on social norms in such an innocuous manner, but she does it with such ease and brilliance that it certainly sets her apart from authors such as the Brontes.

I have read all of Austen's works, and I must say that my favorites are Pride and Prejudice and Mansfield Park. I have read several comments in this thread against Mansfield Park, but I appreciate it as it is likely one of the darker and least romantic books that Austen wrote.

Crawford, instead of being a quintessential Austen hero is a human being who could have lived, and who represents the flaws in each of us. Fanny is the same way - weak, naive, silly...

I think in Mansfield Park Austen delves further into the human psyche than she does in all of her other books combined.

Peace to all,
~Percy

~~~~~~~~

Howard Dean in 2004!

Last edited by Percy Weasley : 10-17-2003 at 10:46 PM.
Percy Weasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 02:21 PM   #17
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Percy Weasley
Crawford, instead of being a quintessential Austen hero is a human being who could have lived, and who represents the flaws in each of us. Fanny is the same way - weak, naive, silly...
It's interesting that you say that, because I've always thought of Fanny as one of Austen's stronger heroines. She is undoubtedly naive (through enforced lack of experience in the world), but though her principles may seem odd and out-dated to us today, she does hold to them very firmly. Compared to Emma or Catherine in Northanger Abbey, or even Marianne Dashwood, Fanny is perceptive, mature and wise. Yet naive

Great name, btw
Old 11-19-2003, 07:13 PM   #18
Mercutio

Can we revive the Jane Austen thread? I especially liked P & P and Emma; I have read them both numerous times (as with all her other books which are very good) and watched the A&E P&P with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth at least twice. I've heard that "Jane Austen's Emma" is the best Emma movie but I have yet to watch it. Anybody care to discuss any of her books? Do a "everybody read this much of this book" and talk about it?

Mercutio

"In vain have I stuggled..."

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:17 PM   #19
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercutio
Can we revive the Jane Austen thread? I especially liked P & P and Emma; I have read them both numerous times (as with all her other books which are very good) and watched the A&E P&P with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth at least twice. I've heard that "Jane Austen's Emma" is the best Emma movie but I have yet to watch it.
I love that adaptation of P&P and watch it regularly. I've seen two versions of Emma - one with Gwyneth Paltrow and one with Kate Beckinsale, and IMO the second was better.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:30 PM   #20
Mercutio

Emma

I'm pretty sure the one I thought was better was with Kate Beckinsale. Knightley was a lot better in that one then in Paltrow's. Her's (I forgot who the actor was) was way to young.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote