Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-16-2003, 11:07 AM   #1
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Catcher in the Rye

I've just read J.D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye for the second time (this time in English).
This controversial book is one of the best things I have ever read. I think the book was even banned in America shortly after its publication.
The story about Holden Caulfield, who is having a nervous breakdown and is in the verge of going insane, really appealed to me. I really love books and films where the main character is like Holden. The main characters shouldn't be heroes, not a care in the world. I find them much more interesting if they are having psychological problems, are depressed etc.

I'm going to read more books of Salinger, and I hope they are equally good as Catcher in the Rye.
More authors should write like Salinger!

EDIT: The thread has been moved to the right forum. Good.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 04-16-2003 at 05:27 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:57 AM   #2
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

I luved the book myself. Amazing! His charachter is so honest!
Old 04-16-2003, 01:22 PM   #3
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Happy to oblige,
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 02:40 PM   #4
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

I loved this book. And I agree, people with spychological problems are more interesting.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 11:31 PM   #5
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I finally read Catcher not too long ago. I think it was an achievement in the sense that it broke a lot of unwritten rules and conventions of storytelling technique and style. It amazes me that something like Salinger's work was considered controversial back then; that, to me, says a lot about the mentality of 1940s society.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 01:36 AM   #6
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I can't believe they actually banned this book. It is actually required reading at school here; the reason I read it was my sister had to buy it for her course. I can see why it's controversial, at least back in the 1940's.
Once I started to read it, I couldn's stop. I didn't get the impression Holden was going insane. I thought he was just a messed up kid who needed to apply himself.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:43 PM   #7
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
I didn't get the impression Holden was going insane. I thought he was just a messed up kid who needed to apply himself.
Maybe Holden wasn't going insane, but I found it more interesting to look at it that way. Anyway, he was completely messed up.

Boy, Salinger's Catcher in the Rye has had a great impact on my book taste. Almost every time I read a book where the main character is messed up in one way or another, I automatically tend to think that it's a really good book. I can't help it. Does someone else think like this, or am I mad?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:50 AM   #8
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I loved this book! I didn't think he was mad - seems like an accurate portrayal of what it's like to be a teenager to me
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:39 AM   #9
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
Boy, Salinger's Catcher in the Rye has had a great impact on my book taste. Almost every time I read a book where the main character is messed up in one way or another, I automatically tend to think that it's a really good book. I can't help it. Does someone else think like this, or am I mad?
I think, then, that you probably have a great deal of affection for Salinger's work and thus, also related to the milliards of Holden Caulfield ripoffs out there.

I found, at several points in the novel, that Holden was far more intelligent than any sort of average teenager (having been acquainted with many teenagers who are superficially depressed and not very good at it, either) - but it was all part of a potential that he did not develop.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:19 PM   #10
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
I found, at several points in the novel, that Holden was far more intelligent than any sort of average teenager (having been acquainted with many teenagers who are superficially depressed and not very good at it, either) - but it was all part of a potential that he did not develop.
Holden said that everyone in his family was intelligent, he was the only exception. It's likely that he was a bit self-critizising and I agree with you that he seemed quite clever, even though he was poor in school.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:39 PM   #11
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I adore this book....

But anyway, I think Holden needed to be an intelligent character. Otherwise, he wouldn't really understand how screwed up the world around him is, and this screwed-up-ness wouldn't bother him as much.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 11:21 PM   #12
Anglorfin
Alasailon

One of my favorite books of all time. I am glad that it is required reading in high school. This year I also had to read Salinger's"Nine Stories". That book is very odd. I don't like it barely at all because I'm not really a short story person. It's a very odd and confusing book overall too.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 07:13 AM   #13
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
One of my favorite books of all time. I am glad that it is required reading in high school. This year I also had to read Salinger's"Nine Stories". That book is very odd. I don't like it barely at all because I'm not really a short story person. It's a very odd and confusing book overall too.
I bought that nine-story-book but I havent started reading it yet. I'm quite fond of short stories (much thanks to E.A. Poe) so I hope I get a different view of the book that you did.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:55 AM   #14
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Hiya, can somebody tell me if this book is very difficult to read in English?
Old 05-12-2003, 01:48 PM   #15
galadriel
Elven Warrior

English... as opposed to another language?

It's pretty easy since it's insanely casual... although there is some outdated slang. But you can usually guess what he means.

dreamflower
Old 05-12-2003, 02:00 PM   #16
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel
English... as opposed to another language?

It's pretty easy since it's insanely casual... although there is some outdated slang. But you can usually guess what he means.
Thanks. I have to decide wether to read the original book in english or the german translation, but usually I prefer to original book.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:26 PM   #17
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Thanks. I have to decide wether to read the original book in english or the german translation, but usually I prefer to original book.
Read it in English. I read it both in Swedish and English, and as much of the 'feeling' was left out in the Swedish version, I found the English version better.
I guess the 'feeling' is altered in the German version too, so read it in English.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:28 PM   #18
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Read it in English. I read it both in Swedish and English, and as much of the 'feeling' was left out in the Swedish version, I found the English version better.
I guess the 'feeling' is altered in the German version too, so read it in English.
I'll do that. I'll buy it when I make the next huge amazon order. (which means when I have money again)
Thanks.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:31 PM   #19
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I have to read this for school over the summer (along with To Kill A Mocking Bird). That will probably kill the experience for me.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 06:29 PM   #20
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
I have to read this for school over the summer (along with To Kill A Mocking Bird). That will probably kill the experience for me.
Nah. They're both great books that are easy to get lost in, so just pretend you're reading for them for yourself. Of course, if your English class is anything like mine, the experience *will* be killed next fall when you're forced to over-analyze them ad naseaum.

dreamflower