Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-22-2003, 11:29 PM   #21
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I checked out The Canterbury Tales from the library just because I wanted to read it. I've read the Miller's Tale so far. It was hilarious.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 01:54 AM   #22
Huan
Elven Warrior

Well Khamul, that was certainly the tale to start with, if you ask me .
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 12:08 AM   #23
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Are there any other especially good tales that I should read before I return it to the library?

Old 05-24-2003, 01:12 PM   #24
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I enjoyed chaucer this year too! The Miller's Tale was very funny, but then again, most of the Tale had the biting satiric tone I love so much.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:25 PM   #25
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Chaucer is great. One that I love, is his tale of Chanticleer and Pertelote.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 02:01 PM   #26
Huan
Elven Warrior

You should definitely check out the Wife of Bath's prologue and tale, and the Knight's Tale. The Merchant's Tale is bawdy and funny like the Miller's Tale, but kind of more sophisticated. Also read the General Prologue at the very beginning ("Whan that April with his shoores soote", etc.), just because it's one of the cornerstones of English literature and everyone should know it, though sadly, these days not everyone does.
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 02:28 PM   #27
azalea
Long lost mooter

I've always liked The Pardoner's Tale, you should read that one.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 11:31 PM   #28
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Ok... must read Wife of Bath's tale... My teacher told us about Chanticleer and Pertelote... must read the Knight's tale and the Merchant's tale...

We read the entire prologue in Lit class, then took an extensive test where we had to match characteristics to each of the pilgrims. That was a rough test, but I made the highest grade in the class. So, prologue -- check...

The Pardoner's Tale? Is that the one where the guys are drunk in the bar and decide to go after Death? Then the guy tells them that they will find him under a tree. If that's the one, we read it in class too.

Old 05-25-2003, 09:24 AM   #29
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
The Pardoner's Tale? Is that the one where the guys are drunk in the bar and decide to go after Death? Then the guy tells them that they will find him under a tree. If that's the one, we read it in class too.
Yes, that was a great one too.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:06 PM   #30
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Anyone read Troilus and Criseyde? I read it this summer, along with the Canterbury Tales, and preferred it to the tales in some ways. Some passages are beautiful, and as a longer work there's more time for the story to develop. The frame of the tales can sometimes seem awkward, and this poem lacks that obvious artificiality.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:08 PM   #31
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

One of these days, I intend to tackle Chaucer. My English cousin loves Chaucer - she's such an intellectual!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:30 AM   #32
Jabberwock
Enting

I took an entire class on Chaucer in university and I really enjoyed it. It helped that the professor was very enthusiastic about it. I can see where something like Canterbury Tales would be daunting to a first year student. I've always loved language so I think what I got out if it aside from some entertaining little stories, is a good example of a linguistic treasure. Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight had the same sort of effect on me, though it wasn't quite so entertaining as it was interesting. I enjoyed Chaucer a whole lot more than Le Morte D'Arthur.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #33
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huan View Post
Middle English is so beautiful. Sometimes I just walk around reciting the first fourteen lines of CT. "Whan that April with his shoores soote," etc.
I agree about Middle English, with my whole heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star View Post
Anyone read Troilus and Criseyde? I read it this summer, along with the Canterbury Tales, and preferred it to the tales in some ways. Some passages are beautiful, and as a longer work there's more time for the story to develop.
I absolutely LOVED Troilus and Criseyde!

(Yes... hopeless romantic, here! )
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote