Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-15-2003, 07:30 PM   #21
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

I have read The Tommyknockers, the uncut version of The Stand, 'Salems Lot, and Insomnia. Does anyone else here think that King is a Tolkien fan? Like on page 91 of The Stand, he makes a large reference to FOTR. Later....
Old 03-15-2003, 11:47 PM   #22
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I think you answered your own question.

Is that the part where the girl (the prengant one) is thinking about how she always hopes that when she opens the door to her father's workshop that she'll be entering Bag End and meet up with Bilbo getting ready for his eleventy first birthday party?

There's also another reference when a woman says "the path goes ever on and on", and when asked where she got it from she comments on Tolkien. Even though it's "the ROAD goes ever on and on".
Old 03-19-2003, 04:48 PM   #23
glasses
Enting

Has anyone read DreamCatcher? I read it a few weeks ago, and it was really good. The movie is supposed to be really bad, though.
Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up! See this? *This* is my BOOMSTICK! It's a 12-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. YOU GOT THAT?

Our early attempts for a tractor beam went through several preparations. Preparations A through G were a complete failure. But now, ladies and gentlemen, we finally have a working tractor beam, which we shall call...Preparation H.
glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 05:49 PM   #24
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
I think you answered your own question.

Is that the part where the girl (the prengant one) is thinking about how she always hopes that when she opens the door to her father's workshop that she'll be entering Bag End and meet up with Bilbo getting ready for his eleventy first birthday party?

There's also another reference when a woman says "the path goes ever on and on", and when asked where she got it from she comments on Tolkien. Even though it's "the ROAD goes ever on and on".
Yeah, it is. And I noticed that too, about the path/road mix-up. "The road goes ever, ever on, down from the door where it began.....
Ok, I'll stop quoting now.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:59 PM   #25
claudia silver
Enting

Originally posted by Estel13
Quote:
Does anyone else here think that King is a Tolkien fan?

You are right, King is a massive Tolkein fan. This site has info on all the references to LOTR in King's books.

http://castlerocknet.com/insideview/14/focus.htm
Old 04-21-2003, 11:28 PM   #26
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

That is a great link. I never really drew so many parallels between LotR and The Stand, but now that I think about them, they're there. How very cool.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 04:52 PM   #27
gandalfstormcrow
Enting

Not to mention all the parallels between Dark Tower and LOTR.
gandalfstormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:15 PM   #28
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

I haven't read any of his books, but I've seen his house. It's kinda creepy, with bats and stuff on the gates....
Old 07-29-2003, 01:07 AM   #29
Squirrel Bit
Sapling

I would read his books, but my parents are so "god" involved to let me do alot of the things that I want to.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:59 PM   #30
Nimrodel_White_Lady
Hobbit

Squirrel Bit, I know how you feel! My mum had the whole collection of Stephen King, including The Stand First Edition, my dad came back from TDY in Saudi Arabia, and he had "changed" So what he did was made my mum sell all her Stephen King books for a quarter of the price of what they were worth, because they werent "Godly". Well, now theyre divorced and Im recollecting the Stephen King Books, and Movies

"A red sun rises, blood has been spilt on this night"

Arrr to the Elven Pirate... savvy?

Arrr ye be a muppet -------> =0
Nimrodel_White_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 02:59 PM   #31
Lady Arwen56
Elven Warrior

Location: In the land of Happy, where Rainbows are called SHINY COLORFUL RAYS OF DEATH!!!!
I love Stephen King, I've been reading him since I was ten, and I don't know which book is my favorite...It's either Carrie, Cujo, The Black House, The Eyes of The Dragon, or Christine.
Lady Arwen56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 06:25 PM   #32
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

I was just at a Type O Negative concert on Saturday and one of the dudes standing next to me looked just like Stephen King!
Of course, after about a minute of staring at him I assured myself it wasn't really him as he didn't look exactly the same (what would he be doing in Milwaukee at a goth-metal concert anyway?).
I never got up the courage to ask the guy, though. I think that could have been hilarious.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 11:25 PM   #33
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Well, you know Stephen King is a huge classic rock fan and even played in a band with some other writers. Maybe he was passing through Milwaukee and decided to expand his rock horizons. Or maybe not.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 03:39 PM   #34
azalea
Long lost mooter

Yes, that's why AC/DC did the soundtrack for Maximum Overdrive. He is a heavy metal fan, so you never know!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 05:21 PM   #35
nessa
Enting

Re: Re: Stephen King

Quote:
Originally posted by Grey_Wolf
I'm waiting for the fifth part in the Dark Tower-series (actually for the sixth and seventh parts as well, since I'm not going to begin reading them before I got the entire septology)
Hi Grey Wolf. How will you resist temptation? I can't wait 'til November (I'd already convinced myself it was October). I've just re-read the four others so it's all fresh and ready in the brain waiting for number 5.
nessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 03:04 PM   #36
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Re: Re: Re: Stephen King

Quote:
Originally posted by nessa
Hi Grey Wolf. How will you resist temptation? I can't wait 'til November (I'd already convinced myself it was October). I've just re-read the four others so it's all fresh and ready in the brain waiting for number 5.
Hi Nessa!

I'm reading a lot of other books at the moment so beginning on an unifinished series doesn't apeal to me. The same thing applies to Wheel of time which is finally finished now with the tenth part (will begin on that one when I have time).

Kindest Regards,

Grey_Wolf

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 10-19-2003 at 03:06 PM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:39 PM   #37
BelegS
Enting

I have read only a few books by King.

It, Misery, Salem's Lot, Pet Sematary, Hearts in Atlantis, Dead Zone and currently reading Needful Things.

Of these Dead Zone and Pet Sematary were good satisfying reads, Hearts in Atlantis as a whole was an excellent excellent book, [The Queen Scenes, The scenes with Carol and Bobby are among my all-time favorite passages] while Misery was sort of oakish, not as bad as Salem's Lot, but nowhere near any of the others I have read.

It, of all his works, is my favorite. Great, great, great book.

Stephen King is often overcomercialized which tends to reduce his literary value; he is an excellent writer and he knows how to captivate his audience and more importantly to hold their attention throughtout the story. And he creates some of the best children characters I have ever read. [It and HIA case in point]

After I finish Needful Things, [Which at page six doesn't seem anything special] or give it up, I am goin to either start 'Four Past Mid-night' or 'The Long Walk', written as Bachman.

Hmm, is the Dark Tower series any good? [I think I probably came across a couple of references in HIA, where someone mentioned beams and towers......
Old 06-02-2004, 06:09 PM   #38
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I read the first Dark (Dork ) Tower book - gunslinger - and I found it to be terrible read, personally. Main character wasn't engaging at all.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:19 AM   #39
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Stephen King

So anyone here into Stephen King?
I'm currently reading his The Tommyknockers and I find it interesting.
Discuss Stephen King here...
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:59 AM   #40
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

wow. is he, or isn't he one of the best horror writers around. what's the scariest book you've read so far? mines 'Misery' because when Annie sticks that cross into the policemans back repeatidly, and then runs him over on a lawnmower *shudders*.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote