Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #1001
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I liked the first part of the book well enough, but till this day I find the second part rather depressing.

I'm currently re-reading my Sherlock Holmes books. Great fun. They're so old-fashioned that it's, well, sort of of endearing and cute. A window on a long-gone time when everyone had a housekeeper or a butler, telegrams was high-tech, brave, manly men could faint without looking silly and nervous brain-fevers were rampant. Really interesting.
Cool .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 06-24-2009, 10:11 PM   #1002
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I've been reading Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse novels.

So far Dead Until Dark and Living Dead in Dallas are really good. I get paid tomorrow so I'll be picking up Club Dead next

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 06-25-2009, 01:16 AM   #1003
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Interesting, I just finished reading Dead Until Dark. Some bits I liked, others not so much. Would you say the series gets stronger?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #1004
katya
Elven Maiden

The Idiot, Dostoevsky. I think he's my all-time favorite writer and I think I'll read all of his books now. So far I don't like The Idiot better than either Crime and Punishment or Brothers Karamazov, but I'm only a quarter of the way into it and I like it quite a bit.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #1005
Acalewia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
Interesting, I just finished reading Dead Until Dark. Some bits I liked, others not so much. Would you say the series gets stronger?
I think it is. Sookie ends up in the middle of two mystries in LDID. Harris knows how to keep the humor in the story and how to keep you on the edge of your seat.

I'll let you know about Club Dead within the next week

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #1006
inked
Elf Lord

Harry Potter's Bookshelf by John Granger. See my reviews at amazon.com and barnesand noble.com.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 07-12-2009, 01:57 AM   #1007
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
The Idiot, Dostoevsky. I think he's my all-time favorite writer and I think I'll read all of his books now. So far I don't like The Idiot better than either Crime and Punishment or Brothers Karamazov, but I'm only a quarter of the way into it and I like it quite a bit.
Absolutely

While "The Idiot" doesn't quite reach the heights of the Big Two, it's still very good, especially the set-pieces- just in the beginning, the scene on the train, the scene where Prince Myshkin meets The Yepanchin family, and of course at Nastasya Fillipovna's house.

"The Devils/The Possessed" is also great.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 07-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #1008
Acalewia

Club Dead was really good. Made me really dislike one of the characters that I had formerly liked.

So far Dead to the World is a hoot with a lot of mystery interlaced in it

Old 07-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #1009
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Absolutely

While "The Idiot" doesn't quite reach the heights of the Big Two, it's still very good, especially the set-pieces- just in the beginning, the scene on the train, the scene where Prince Myshkin meets The Yepanchin family, and of course at Nastasya Fillipovna's house.

"The Devils/The Possessed" is also great.
I replied to you once already, I don't know if it got lost or what. But yes, I'm almost done with "The Idiot" now, and though I don't think it's as good as the other two, it's very good and I'm anxious to read more Dostoevsky. My favorite scenes so far have been anything involving Nastasya Fillipovna, and then the scene where Ippolit
supposedly tries to shoot himself, and his whole way of dealing with his approaching death in general

I've been studying Russian too. That's the 5th language now that I'm studying seriously, and 2nd priority, after Japanese. I wanted to finish learning the ones I'm already working on (Japanese is the only one I've reached fluency with) but I really really want to learn Russian well enough to be able to read the Russian copy of Brothers Karamazov I have (I got it from a library book sale for $1.50!).

EDIT: Add the last regular chapter (not the epilogue part) to my list of favorite scenes! I actually had read something accidentally about what, roughly, happened, but not the details. That was my favorite chapter. It really took me by surprise.

Last edited by katya : 07-17-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:21 AM   #1010
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Finally getting around to reading it since I bought it for the plane ride home.

Makes me laugh, or at least smile every page.

"Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see."

"But remember... clowns make two things around here: balloon animals... and enemies."

"If I loved you then I would love you in any way I could, and if we could not touch, then I would draw strength from your beauty... And if I went blind, I would fill my soul with the sound of your voice and the contents of your thoughts until the last spark of my love for you lit the shabby darkness of my dying mind."

Old 07-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #1011
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Ive just finished off Manda Smith's Boudica-quartet - it was a bit wordy and longwinded towards the end. But it does show the culture of the Celts quite vividly - with their dream interpretation and the importance they put on their relationship with nature and their gods. It also tells the story from the Roman point of view. So if your a fan of celts and their culture and ancient history this is the books for you.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #1012
nasuada
Enting

I just finished Dragonsdale part two Riding the storm, I liked it a lot.
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face
and the rain fall soft upon your fields, and until we meet again may God hold you in the palm of his hands.

An Irish Blessing~

“If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large.”
~ William Wilberforce
Old 09-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #1013
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Golding's Lord of the Flies - I was assigned this in high school many years ago and only just started it and put it aside back then.

My 6th grade son was assigned it for school this year, so I wanted to check it out. I was surprised it was assigned for his grade level. So I read through it in a few days. Anyway, very interesting...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 09-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #1014
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I too re-read Lord of the Flies only last month. The symbolism was much more clear and obvious the second time around.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #1015
TurinTurambar
Sapling

Just Read "Common Sense" by Glenn Beck it was a pretty good read and almost as funny as watchin himon TV. Very insightful. Now i am reading Joel C. Rosenburg's series. I am up to the Copper scrolls. Its like a Tom Clancy book or a Hardy boy's with a little religion thrown in. sometimes it gets a little preachy but minus that its a real thriller and have had trouble putting it down. Regardless of your religious views its pretty interesting. Mine dont line up with his but it still interesting.

Last edited by TurinTurambar : 09-27-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #1016
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I read the political thriller "The Ghost" by Robert Harris. It's the story about an ex-Prime minister of Britain (with many similarities with Tony Blair), told in the words of the ghost-writer of the politician's autobiography. There's a shocking revelation about the former minister and even though the book is entirely fictive, one can't help but fantasising whether the same astonishing discovery could be true about Tony Blair as well.

A screen adaption with Pierce Brosnan and Ewan McGregor, directed by Roman Polanski was to premiere next year. I hope his arrest won't delay things, as I'm really looking forward to seeing the film.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #1017
TurinTurambar
Sapling

Do to your guys input i went to the store and decided to get some new some books you suggested. Starting with Hitchikers guide to the galaxy followed by mossflower and The long dark tea time of the soul. Also dug out my C.S Lewis books witch having been sitting on my bookshelf since kindergarden (untouched). I know it is terible i have done such a thing but it is time to right the wrong and catch up with you guys. By the way i went to 2 used bookstores and neither had the wheel of time series. One lady said "People that read these books just dont give them up." SO GIVE THEM UP BOYS AND GIRLS I NEED TO GET MY GRUBBY HANDS ON THEM!

Last edited by TurinTurambar : 10-10-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #1018
Nautipus
Kraken King

Just got done reading Stephen King's IT, and am starting on The Stand. Got into him after finishing the Dark Tower series.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Old 11-12-2009, 12:03 AM   #1019
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Three words:

Love Good Omens.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 11-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #1020
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Just read a little dutch book on symbolism in LoTR, which wasn't very good, but oh my, so hilariously hippie. I knew I was in for something special as soon as she started drawing Frodo's astrology chart. And oh, the almost desperate attempts to find some hook, however far-fetched, to be able to throw in the words 'sexual energy' and 'sexuality' somewhere.

EDIT: Darn, this thread has gone over the 1000 replies already a while. Closing.

The new thread can be found here