Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-24-2004, 07:55 PM   #1
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

William Shakespeare

Do any of your guys like Shakespeare? It's kind of hard not to. What plays have you read? Which is your favorite and why?

I've read (so far, but many more to come)
Julius Caesar
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Twelfth Night
Taming of the Shrew
As You Like It
Romeo and Juliet

My favorites are definately Twelfth Night and A Midsummer Night's Dream. I love the comedies, and I adore Sir Andrew and Sir Toby. I had two fish named Andrew and Toby, but I had to give them away because we moved. I'm actually not quite finished with Romeo and Juliet, which I have liked but not as much as the others. It's really rather frustrating.

Anywho, I love Shakespeare, how about you?

If I can stop one heart from aching, I shall not live in vain. -Emily Dickinson

But the Master comes, and the foolish crowd
Never can quite understand
The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought
By the touch of the Master's hand.

Though she be but little, she is fierce! -MSND
PippinTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 09:36 PM   #2
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Will is definitely the best - read over 20 of the plays so far, which would make a long list now. But I do believe the Bard of Avon thread is still extant for discussing that, although I don't think it's been posted in since August.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:20 AM   #3
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

I haven't read any of his "popular" plays, but I love the ones I've read so far:

Henry VI (all three parts)
Richard III
Titus Andronicus
The Comedy of Errors (currently reading it)

My favorite has to be Richard III, there's this monologue that Richard says near the end of the play that is just BEAUTIFUL!
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:21 AM   #4
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i've taken a few courses and read all of his plays... i have many favorites... but my top few are probably macbeth, othello, the tempest, measure for measure, twelfth night and as you like it
Old 10-25-2004, 09:30 AM   #5
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

I ran a messagge board about Shakespeare some years ago with another mooter, Elanor. Well, it was not a great success (I think we never had more than five active users ) but it was a lot of fun! The board was on the ezboard platform and now it's completely lost because we didn't want to pay for it

Okay, my favourite plays are Richard II, The Merchant of Venice, King Lear... well, I could add a lot more
Old 10-25-2004, 09:36 AM   #6
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat middle
I ran a messagge board about Shakespeare some years ago with another mooter, Elanor. Well, it was not a great success (I think we never had more than five active users ) but it was a lot of fun! The board was on the ezboard platform and now it's completely lost because we didn't want to pay for it

Okay, my favourite plays are Richard II, The Merchant of Venice, King Lear... well, I could add a lot more
cool... wish i knew... i would have been #6

*thinks we should start a shakespeare section*
Old 10-25-2004, 09:37 AM   #7
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I have not read 'Much Ado About Nothing' - but the movie version from several years back was HILARIOUS! How faithful was it to his script?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:43 AM   #8
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
I have not read 'Much Ado About Nothing' - but the movie version from several years back was HILARIOUS! How faithful was it to his script?
very faithful... most productions that kenneth branagh has been a part of usually are... henry v, much ado about nothing, hamlet, othello <--- all required viewing
Old 10-25-2004, 11:48 AM   #9
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

alright, I need to get my lazy buns over to a bookstore and buy a set of his works! In the meantime, I'll get some of those movies

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 12:22 PM   #10
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

A set of his works shouldn't be too hard to find... he is the most famous playwright ever

Branagh's versions are always very true to the text, although I personally thought his Hamlet dragged a bit. Actually, more than a bit. But I'll watch his Much Ado or Henry V anyday.

Best Shakespeare movie I've seen though is Looking for Richard: it's Richard III (also coincidentally probably my favorite play) with Al Pacino as Richard, and a lot of other big actors in the other roles, interspersed with them discussing how they want to do the play. Sort of a making-of-Richard III documentary that includes a performance of the play.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:19 AM   #11
dawningoftime
Enting

I like
Much Ado About Nothing
Taming of the Shrew
Measure for Measure
Midsummer's Night Dream

Ok I like the comedies mostly. I just got a copy of Taming of the Shrew w/ John Cleese as Patrucio (sp?)....he was born for that role. The only Kenneth Brannagnah interpretation I have not liked was "Loves Labor Lost" I couldn't make it through the first half hour of that movie before turning it off.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:34 AM   #12
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningoftime
I like
Much Ado About Nothing
Taming of the Shrew
Measure for Measure
Midsummer's Night Dream

Ok I like the comedies mostly. I just got a copy of Taming of the Shrew w/ John Cleese as Patrucio (sp?)....he was born for that role. The only Kenneth Brannagnah interpretation I have not liked was "Loves Labor Lost" I couldn't make it through the first half hour of that movie before turning it off.
Ah, Shakespeare fans!! Whoo Hoo!! But how to choose favorites? Very hard....at the moment, Henry V, Macbeth, The Tempest, Hamlet, Measure for Measure.......although that could change as others name other plays!
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:13 AM   #13
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Woah, deja vu, I just answered this on another board.

My favourite is A Midsummer Night's Dream.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:17 PM   #14
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

I love Shakespeare, although it's been years since I read a play from start to finish. I tend to dip into his sonnets, or read a couple of scenes from his plays when I have an urge. I appreciate his work most when it's performed, I think. Last August I was lucky enough to see three plays at the Stratford Shakespeare Festival in Ontario, Canada: Macbeth, Cymbeline and Henry VIII.

The movies are wonderful, too.... they recently aired Branagh's Henry V on PBS and I had a chance to see it again.... we few, we happy few, we band of brothers........ what an outstanding performance!

Also liked Ian McKellen in Richard III, and strangely enough, Ethan Hawke in Hamlet, though I did prefer Branagh's version.... :blush:

guess I just like any adaptation of the Bard's work....
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:42 PM   #15
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasty Ent
guess I just like any adaptation of the Bard's work....
Me too. I've never yet found a Shakespeare play or adaptation that I couldn't like in some way...

My current favourites are Measure for Measure, Hamlet and Richard III. I saw the latter along with As You Like It in Stratford last year, and loved them both. I also went to see All's Well That Ends Well in London in April - a rather odd play, but it was a great production.

And let me speak up for the sonnets, which I adore and re-read often. I think we discussed this in the Bard of Avon thread, but does anyone have a favourite sonnet?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:03 PM   #16
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

There was a big listing of favorite sonnets in Bard of Avon, but no reason they can't be mentioned here
My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun...

Ah.

We get to read King Lear for my Drama class on Fools next week. It's going to be amazingsuperfantasticmaravilloso.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:14 PM   #17
Millane
The Dude

Measure for Measure and Hamlet, ive never been a great fan of Shakespeares works, i didnt mind Macbeth but i just cant get into them. Measure for Measure and Hamlet are big exceptions though, loved them both. I chose to write on Measure for Measure for my exam next thursday, it wont be good though
Old 10-26-2004, 10:07 PM   #18
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

woo hoo! Just got back from the bookstore with "The complete works of WS" in my hot little hands!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:39 PM   #19
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

excellent! What edition?
Old 10-27-2004, 12:01 AM   #20
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Just on the Shakespeare "movies", as we seem to be calling them, I would like to know what people thought of Baz Lurhmanns Romeo and Juliet, with Di Caprio and Danes in the title role.
I thought it was great, and I'm not even that much a fan of that particular play. I felt it helped to make shakespeare modern, and it went to prove that his work is indeed timeless, as the underlying themes within the play, love and hate, loyalty and betrayal, are just as constant now as they were in 1600.

Plus I thought the little adaptions to modern from old were cool.
Romeo walks past the scene of the initial brawl of Capulet and Montague, of act1 sc1, and asks Benvolio what happened here, as he see's the blood. In the movie, they are watching TV, and a news story shows the fight.
And the use of guns as swords is also very cool. I think it's Old Montague who says to his wife: "give me my Long Sword", so he can go off and fight Old Capulet, but in the movie, he is reaching for an Assault rifle.

I just think it was quite cleverly done.

Anyway, I am more a fan of the histories, than the tradgedies or comedies. Henry the Fifth and Richard the Third being the best of these.