Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2000, 01:17 AM   #1
Dukefan

If you read The Hobbit, I need your help

School project: We're essentially supposed to pick a book, read it, and write a page-long summary including info on the author and his inspiration, list of characters, summary of plot, and (the hardest part), a bunch of insights, analytical thoughts, profound statements, relevations, etc. Now before you accuse me of cheating I HAVE READ THE ENTIRE BOOK. Granted, it was kinda hard for me to follow, but I got through it. I only need help with two parts:

1) Info on the author. If anyone knows any sites that SHORT biographies of Tolkien, or can supply me with info, I'd appreicate it.

2) Relevations, realizations, etc, that kind of thing. Like the kind of stuff you would read about in Cliffs Notes and Monarch Notes (why don't they put one out for fantasy books, huh?) The sheet says it's ok to use any sort of reference we can get. And in all honesty, I couldn't really come up with anything PROFOUND (that's the word it says on the instruction sheet), so I need help.

I can do the plot myself, since I read the book.

A few more things: It's due this Wednesday (17th) so please hurry.
And I also need to do some kind of presentation about it to the class,where I might use props or whatever. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-2000, 01:24 AM   #2
bmilder

Re: If you read The Hobbit, I need your help

I've seen a combined Cliffs note book for both The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings (not that I ever needed to use it, mind you.)

Let's see, I can list some basic info on Tolkien off the top of my head...

Born in 1892 in Bloemfontein, South Africa. Moved to England as a child. Wrote The Hobbit in 1937. Worked on its sequel, Lord of the Rings for years and it was finally published in the '50s. He died in 1973.

I'm sure other people can provide some more substantial information.
Old 05-16-2000, 11:59 AM   #3
Eruve

There was a thread last fall on this site that gave some quick biographical info. Try searching for it.

As for analytical insights, you might think about how Bilbo's character develops in the course of the story.

Presentation: you might dress as Bilbo or Gandalf...
Old 05-16-2000, 03:42 PM   #4
Yazad

A few more things,

Supposedly "The Hobbit" was written by Tolkien as a bed time story to tell his children. Eventually it was shown to some of his friends who urged him to try to have it published. As I recall it took quite a while before it was actually picked up. After it became popular (which took a while) he was urged by many people to write a sequel, and had to puzzle out exactly what to do. Eventually he decided on "The Lord of the Rings". He had already had a very detailed history of Middle Earth worked out and much of it written.

One of the most simple, profound and one of my favorite bits from the Hobbit, comes from Chapter 4, A Short Rest. In it Tolkien speaks to the reader about Rivendell, and how things that are good and comfortable are quickly told and not much to listen to, while things that are uncomfortable, frightening and even gruesome make good stories and at any rate take some telling. This might be something to mention. Think about how many movies you've seen and books you've read about just nice stuff. There's not a lot, but there are thousands written and filmed about hostage situations, serial murderers, long quests, dark times in history, etc.

Also the story of the unwilling hero is very ancient and retold over and over. Luke in Star Wars is a good, more modern example.

Another thing you could mention is about self confidence and how one's horizons can widen when he or she experiences new things. Bilbo, originally was very unconfident of himself. With the trolls, he didn't know what to do and messed up, but after killing the spider and putting a few successes under his belt, he really became the leader in the quest and began to come up with plans of his own. Consider that at the beginning he had trouble properly addressing a strange dwarf, and by the end he was able to survive a battle of wits with a dragon.

Also remember how many times in the book Tolkien says that "Bilbo wished to be home in his nice comfortable hole with the kettle just beginning to sing" -- "NOT FOR THE LAST TIME." Bilbo, although he changed much in his journey was still Bilbo, he still loved his home, and wanted always to return (except maybe when he was in the Last Homely House), but from his unpleasant journey, he learned so many things about the world, its inhabitants and made many friends. I believe the Wold Elf King even named him "Elf Friend" which is an extreme honor.

Well those are just some ideas. I hope they help.
Old 05-16-2000, 07:43 PM   #5
The One Ring

Cliff Notes cost money.... but Spark Notes are free! Go here!
Old 05-16-2000, 07:52 PM   #6
bmilder

Heh, too late, I think he already ordered the cliffs notes
Old 05-17-2000, 04:29 AM   #7
Dukefan

Thanks everybody for you help. Report is finished.

BTW, I did get the Cliff Notes .