Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-15-2000, 01:14 AM   #21
bmilder

Re: How did any of you read this book?

Yay, Jae (dmaul96) is actually reading it again! So is Greg!
Old 07-13-2000, 07:47 PM   #22
Dfsg

J.K. Rowling? *sigh* Okay, it gets children to read, but I must say that Tolkien is a bit better.

And NEVER insult the Hobbit. It was a great book by the end, although the Later books in the LOTR were more adventurous!
Old 07-14-2000, 12:08 AM   #23
jhaddon

Heh, I first read the Hobbit during 3rd grade, mainly because my dad kept pushing me. It was my longest book to date, and I finished it faster than a lot of other books. I'm no reading LOTR at 13, agian because of my father, and have just gotten to the entmoot (actually, I'm past that, but not by much). I'm much busier now, but I seem to always make room in my schedule for LOTR, and anything else Tolkein. However, I must agree, the beginning of the Hobbit, and LOTR (An unexpected party, a long expected party, I believe those are the names) were a bit boring, but after that, the book just draws you in. And the amount of detail is just astonishing. I wish I could see his desk, to be able to see all the other stuff that was never printed, and probably never will get printed.

However, I'm a little miffed that Tom Bombadil wont be in the movies. He was cool.

Oh, yea, I'm new here. Anyone notice?
Old 07-14-2000, 12:32 AM   #24
thehobbit96

Cool. Well, I just finished the Hobbit. When I finish my summer reading, I'm gonna read LOTR.
Old 07-14-2000, 06:34 PM   #25
Dfsg

I am so depressed that the left Tom Bombadil out. It just dosen't do LOTR justice.
Old 07-14-2000, 08:48 PM   #26
jhaddon

whi is my personal pic fehked up in this forum? Its fine elsewhere.
Old 07-22-2000, 12:53 PM   #27
Lorco Books

(insert ignorant heading here)

I actually agree with the original poster of this thread. What's this book about anyway? From what I can tell a rat lives in a stupid hole and he invites fat midgets into his hole, so I guess he shrinks them. Than Merlin (whom I guess just got done giving Arthur Excallibur) orders the rat around to make them birthday cakes, or some stupid **** like that, just before some faerie steals Christmas,......er,...I never actually read the books, I have to go to school and steal some kid's lunch money, why don't you guys get a life and stop reading christmas tales....
Old 07-24-2000, 03:28 PM   #28
anduin

Re: (insert ignorant heading here)

I am going to pretend that you are trying to be funny. Otherwise I would have to condone all of the flaming that will no doubt be directed towards you. You tread on very thin ice if you go about knocking Tolkien on a Tolkien board. That is just the way things are. You are entitled to your own opinion of course, but remember you won't make many friends that way.

BTW, the original poster of this thread holds the all time record for bans at Entmoot.
Old 07-24-2000, 03:32 PM   #29
bmilder

It's obviously a joke.
Anyway I don't think dmaul96 (Jae on this board) holds the records for bans, it's probably Greg by now
Old 07-24-2000, 06:33 PM   #30
emilsson

I read the Hobbit right before I started the last year in gradeschool. I was fifteen and I loved it. It reminded me of the tales my mom used to read to me before I went to sleep when I was just a few years old.
Old 07-25-2000, 12:16 AM   #31
Lorco Books

Lol, come now, loosen up!

"I am going to pretend that you are trying to be funny. Otherwise I would have to condone all of the flaming that will no doubt be directed towards you. You tread on very thin ice if you go about knocking Tolkien on a Tolkien board. That is just the way things are. You are entitled to your own opinion of course, but remember you won't make many friends that way."

It was a joke! I was being sarcastic, relax.
Old 07-25-2000, 11:54 AM   #32
anduin

Re: Lol, come now, loosen up!

My apologies.
Old 07-25-2000, 12:12 PM   #33
Fat middle

it happens sometimes. they should make an emoticon for sarcasm
Old 07-26-2000, 12:42 AM   #34
Grand Admiral Reese

How did I read it? Well, I picked it up on Friday after finishing The Hunt for Red October, and began reading. I finished yesterday and found it a very interesting novel.
Old 07-26-2000, 01:22 AM   #35
MyStic PyRO

Well, im surprised myself that im actually readin a book but i guess i started readin this book out of boredom
Old 07-27-2000, 02:01 PM   #36
dunedain lady

Do. Not. Insult. Tolkien.
How did we read this book? We read this book by having attention spans and imagination! We read this book because we happen to enjoy reading about other worlds, which seem to be much more interresting than our own daily lives in some cases! We read this book because it has a plot, wonderful characters, and the writing is the closest prose gets to poetry!
Ok, I'm done now :rollin:
Old 07-29-2000, 05:45 PM   #37
Darth Tater

If that's what you consider a joke then you need to either learn to use smilly's ( would have been appropriate at the end of that post) or change your sense of humor. Since you don't seem to get that it wasn't funny, but cruel and actually a flame I'm just gonna give you a warning. I'm not alone on this, so dont' think it's another rampage by the mean admin as you like to call me
Old 07-29-2000, 09:40 PM   #38
bmilder

Well luckily warnings do nothing. That's insane, of course it's a joke.

Laugh. :lol:

I don't see how you can give a warning to him for doing a joke when Jae here really hasn't finished the Hobbit ever.
Old 07-29-2000, 11:48 PM   #39
anduin

I am just curious how you thought it was a joke? Either you know him already and are being sympathetical, or you have a much a very deep sense of humor. I thought that calling hobbits rats, and dwarves fat midgets and telling us to get a life, wasn't very funny. He admits to not reading the book, so how would he really know what is funny and what is not? I gave in because I assumed that you knew him to be a really funny guy.
Old 07-30-2000, 08:41 PM   #40
bmilder

No, I don't know this guy outside of Entmoot. But think: you're new to a Tolkien board where you assume everyone loves LotR and the Hobbit, and then some person posts about how awful it is. Instead of flaming, you jokingly play along. Not too farfetched a scenario. Besides, who could be that dumb to write such a review of TH? I think he's also poking fun at Jae. Notice "insert ignorant heading here." That's almost like warning that it's a joke. He was pretending to be an idiot kid who couldn't read well, so notice "I think I'll go steal some kid's lunch money." Stealing of lunch money is generally done by ignorant bullies at school . He wrote that post "in character" if I'm not mistaken. Also notice that he had a fairly difficult trivia thread about LotR up, so it ought to seem highly unlikely that a person who would have that much knowledge about one book of Tolkien would utterly hate and in fact have no idea about the plot of a different Tolkien book. It's true he ought to have included a smiley just in case, but I do think we need to lighten up a bit and not take every little sarcastic bit as a flame