Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-13-2000, 03:08 PM   #1
Gilthalion

Reading THE HOBBIT aloud...

As you may have noticed from my posts, I'll do a public reading of THE HOBBIT soon. (As you may be tired of noticing from my posts...)

The MIDDLE-EARTH ACCENTS thread in the movie section has been very helpful to me. Perhaps it has been discussed enough and this thread should be closed before it starts!

But I am interested to see if there might not be any further discussion that could help me and all the folk who read to others and would like to share Tolkien's works. This community has been of great help to me already, and I just wanted to see if I could milk the last drops of wisdom and inspiration from you all on this subject!
Old 08-14-2000, 08:20 PM   #2
Aratar

Re: Reading THE HOBBIT aloud...

I'll tell you what. If I lived in Ala. I would come see you. But I live in RI so I cannot. so good luck! Would be interested in putting your orals on my site? email me at webmaster@lotrw.zzn.com.
Old 08-14-2000, 09:44 PM   #3
Gilthalion

I WILL DO REQUESTS !!! (Some anyway...)

I appreciate your generous offer!

I'm considering just that sort of thing. Really, it makes sense for people to hear some auditions.

What I will do is take some requests for (short) readings, record them, and upload them to my Geocities site.

Naturally, I wouldn't mind at that time if you mirrored them or linked to my page. (I think that anyone who uploads anything to any freely accessed site ought to be willing to share freely, or keep it off the Net!)

Right now, I'm displaying some comparative pictures of Sen. Lieberman and Sen. Palpatine... ...these will be relegated to a back page when the novelty wears off. Then I'll do a Tolkien page.

www.geocities.com/robertwgardner2000

If anyone has any requests for some Tolkien readings, I'll be happy to collect them on this thread and then I'll let everyone who's interested take a listen for themselves. I'll be using the Real Audio format, so I hope that will not inconvenience anyone.

My wife does a lot of chatting on Yahoo Chat, which has recently started allowing voice interactions. This certainly opens up possibilities as well!
Old 08-15-2000, 12:47 AM   #4
bmilder

Re: I WILL DO REQUESTS !!! (Some anyway...)

Why not have them up at Tolkien Trail, which is actually the site you're at now? That would certainly make more sense

For some reason I always imagined Bilbo's voice as sort of sounding like Winnie the Pooh from the Disney cartoons.
Old 08-15-2000, 02:55 AM   #5
Gilthalion

ROAST MUTTON

Roast mutton anyone?

I worked this up this evening.

(TAKE TWO: The clipoff problem should be solved by now.)

www.geocities.com/robertw...tmutton.ra

This is a quick and dirty 8-bit recording, rendered into the Real Audio format. It's less than 250K. Even so, it runs about 14 minutes 30 seconds. I hope that's not too long, but this is just a quick little audition for those of you who've had an interest.
Old 08-15-2000, 04:29 PM   #6
bmilder

Re: ROAST MUTTON

Very nice!

I love the voices of the Trolls, and I like Bilbo's voice too .
Old 08-15-2000, 05:09 PM   #7
Gilthalion

ROAST MUTTON Technical Bulletin

Computer gurus, help!

I was unable to download <roastmutton.ra> by simply clicking on the link from my computer at work. Noldo, at the ELVENHOME board was also unsuccessful.

Left-clicking worked well enough at home.

Right-clicking, and selecting Open, or Save, also worked.

Question: Is this something fixable, or should I edit the posts to tell folks to Right-click.

I will try to upload the complete version tonight.

bmilder, thanks for your comments!
Old 08-15-2000, 05:10 PM   #8
bmilder

Re: ROAST MUTTON Technical Bulletin

I think it's a GeoCities problem. Click on it normally, then when you get to the GeoCities error page go up to the Location Bar with the address, click on it without changing the url, and hit enter. Then it should start normally.
Old 08-15-2000, 07:42 PM   #9
Gilthalion

Rivendell

bmilder,

Thanks for the tech help!

ROAST MUTTON should now be fixed. Next, I may do THE BRIDGE OF KHAZAD-DUM. I just finished reading that chapter to my wife.

It seems I may wind up with a number of little things that might be suitable for your forthcoming Rivendell page. Please consider submitted for your approval any audition I post. And I would recommend the one bit of original parody I've written on this board. It's in the PREVIEW THREAD under LOTR MOVIES.
pub2.ezboard.com/fbenjami...D=80.topic

As I wrote earlier to Aratar, anything of this nature I post ought to be freely available. I can't see how I have any authority, or right, to talk about exclusivity for reading or parodying someone else's work!
Old 08-17-2000, 12:06 AM   #10
Gilthalion

Recordings

Due to numerous technical problems and a desire to make things as user friendly as possible, please access my little no-frills Bare Bones website to find ROAST MUTTON, THE BRIDGE OF KHAZAD-DUM, and other recordings!

Just hit the BACK button on your browser to return here to ENTMOOT.

www.geocities.com/robertwgardner/2000
Old 09-23-2000, 03:46 AM   #11
Elanor

Re: Recordings

Smaug must have a pirate accent!

(In my fragile opinion..)
Old 09-23-2000, 12:05 PM   #12
Gilthalion

Re: Recordings

Hmmmmm. Didn't consider that! Richard Boone, the old Western actor did Smaug in the Rankin-Bass cartoon.

I just try to do a rasping, deep, growling, kind of voice, and hope it sounds more or less Dragonish!