Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-23-2000, 01:26 PM   #21
anduin

Re: Reading THE HOBBIT at the bookstore...

Many Stage One (the theatre where I work) employees go into schools once a week and read to the kidos.
Old 09-23-2000, 01:45 PM   #22
Fat middle

i think you'll need some especial effects for the Council of Elrond: a broken sword, a ring, some fireworks... that could help for keeping the attention of the kids.
Old 09-23-2000, 10:41 PM   #23
Gilthalion

I may need to find good illustrations and download them and print them for display as we go along. (The little hobbit pictures himself striding through the bookstore with a sword, scattering the timid bookish customers as he swaggers past.) ================================================== ========

Well, I just got back, uploaded the single picture I took today, put on the charcoal, and rushed back to make this post. I had just finished Chapter Six, OUT OF THE FRYING PAN INTO THE FIRE, sipped at my water, set up the camera, set up my shot, set the timer, set myself on the stool and flash!

...we were off to Chapter Seven, QUEER LODGINGS! The reading was actually better attended. Some were taking advantage of the intermission. Some teens were sitting on the floor, near where I took the picture.

There were a few others in and out as well. Some were taking a quick break during the intermission.

It was a good thing someone here let us know yesterday was officially Hobbit Day in the USA! That was my ticket to get a radio interview on the city's big newstalk radio station. They estimate about 2,000 or so are listening during the average quarterhour. (EDIT: Now you can hear the interview and reading yourself in streaming RealAudio from either of the websites in my signature!)

During one of the two quarterhours I was on the air, a babyboomer mom had been listening. She so loved Middle-earth that her daughter's middlename was Arwen. So I found, after the reading, when they told me this. Arwen, as I'll call her, for she did not tell me her first name, said she has LotR stuff all over her room and roleplays on some chatrooms. I told her about ENTMOOT of course, and that she could find it on Tolkientrail.com! Bless them, they asked if I was going to read LotR at the bookstore...

(Yes, young men, she is pretty! And no, she is not in the picture...)
Old 09-28-2000, 01:46 AM   #24
Elanor

We drove from Portland to St Louis and back. It was long, but luckily we all get along well with each other. I hope "Arwen" comes here!
Old 09-28-2000, 03:24 AM   #25
Niffiwan

Gil: I'll offer another webspace offer, even though that's weeks away; I have unlimited space on my account, so if you want me to I'll upload it.
Old 09-28-2000, 03:57 AM   #26
Hobbit Hood

I appreciate that, Niffiwan. Eventually, I will run out and then I'll have to rotate on my own webspace! If you want to mirror these things great! Of course, bmilder will also be selecting from these for Rivendell.

I've basically come to the conclusion that I shouldn't put anything on the web I haven't already decided I wanted to just give away!
Old 09-28-2000, 07:19 PM   #27
Niffiwan

I have another idea for what my website offer can be used for; you said you will delete the older ones, right? So I can make a website of everything that will be deleted off of your site.

If you want to talk out the details, etc. email me at
Snortimer@crosswinds.net
(yes, crosswinds is my webspace provider. They shut down a lot, but they put no adds on your pages, charge you no money, and give unlimited space)
Old 10-07-2000, 09:53 PM   #28
Ghost of Gilthalion

Re: ...

I skipped last week's report... got busy!

I should skip this week's report... not the best.

Last week we had a number of folk, including a young couple from Oxford, Miss, who happened to be in town. The girl wore a one-ring.net t-shirt. They both loved it.

I haven't seen Arwen again. Or the boy who came for the first reading.

This week, Bay Fest (a weekend downtown music extravaganza) was going on. We didn't have a single person sit down for any length of time. The store was largely empty.

A couple of old rednecks stood nearby for about ten minutes, talking loudly about nothing until Nancy came out and stared at them and embarrassing them so that they stopped and left. One wonders what they were even doing there. One other fellow came in and stood nearby for a while and was sorry he had missed most of it. THE HOBBIT was the first book he ever read on his own, in the 5th grade, and that got him to love reading when nothing else had.

Nancy and I talked about January. We may only read excerpts of the Lord of the Rings, as well as other things, on Saturdays. I don't know if we can sustain a 40 week reading.
Old 10-14-2000, 11:23 PM   #29
Ghost of Gilthalion

Well, we finally come to the end of our tale!

One mother (who missed last week because she was sick) and her daughter came today. A couple of teen aged girls sat in briefly, grinning when I looked up. A lady in her forties sat in for the final chapter.

Sigh.

The End.

[c] ~~~[/c]

Nancy talked me into doing a reading of some sort once a month beginning in January.

We decided that next Autumn, we can read FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING prior to the release of the movie. If things work out, we might then read THE TWO TOWERS and THE RETURN OF THE KING each Autumn before the corresponding cinematic release. We will probably go to a one hour or so weeknight performance, too.

That's all folks!

Now, I promise to get back to my Tolkien fan novel and I'll record some new RealAudio readings soon!
Old 10-15-2000, 01:45 AM   #30
Shanamir Duntak

YEAH!
Old 10-15-2000, 06:39 AM   #31
anduin

It makes me happy that you finished! Congrats and well done.
Old 10-15-2000, 04:20 PM   #32
Xivigg

Well done

hip hip hourahh

I wouldn't have been able to do it
you are now one of my idole
Old 10-16-2000, 01:11 AM   #33
Shanamir Duntak

He was my hero as soon as he started reading it!
Hey, Xivigg, get your paws of Gil.. he's MY hero!
Old 10-16-2000, 04:03 PM   #34
Gilthalion

Now, now! Boys!

I am heroic enough to be EVERYBODY'S hero.

Gilthalion, Lord of the South Farthing, Hero of the Age!

I am Miss Kitty's hero, too!
Old 10-16-2000, 04:45 PM   #35
Xivigg

New custom title

Reader of the Hobbit

And Shan he won't be your Heros for a verry long time i'm going to kidnap him so i'll be able to listen to him as often as i'll like

MUAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAH
Old 10-16-2000, 09:29 PM   #36
RovingTurtle

Congratulations Gil, I hope you aren't discouraged, thats sorta the gist I got from your potst, if you are DONT BE
Old 10-17-2000, 04:24 AM   #37
Shanamir Duntak

Hey Gil, I you read part of LOTR next semester, maybe Xivigg and me will get south and pay you a visit... =)
Old 10-17-2000, 12:15 PM   #38
Eruve

Now if you two go and do that, I shall feel obligated to go with you as a chaparone. Going somewhere warm in the winter and at the same time being able to indulge my interest in JRRT have nothing to do with it!
Old 10-17-2000, 12:34 PM   #39
Shanamir Duntak

Maybe Juntel would like to come too?
Old 10-17-2000, 12:38 PM   #40
Eruve

Woo Hoo!!! Road trip!!!!!!
But can you imagine the arguments Gil and juntel are going to get into???