Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-24-2004, 05:07 PM   #141
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Well now that Ratner has the team and sees how pissed New Jersey is at losing the Nets - it seems as if he's afraid of losing the fans from New Jersey , especially during the next two years they remain here.

Quote:
Developer to court Nets fans

Brooklyn's Ratner offers to play some games here

Saturday, January 24, 2004

BY GEORGE E. JORDAN
Star-Ledger Staff

Even after the Nets move to Brooklyn, the team could still call New Jersey home -- at least 10 times a year.

On a day when New York celebrated its newest favorite son, Bruce Ratner, the developer who is bringing the Nets to Brooklyn declared he was now the team's No. 1 fan and owner-in-waiting and soon would be rooting from courtside at the Meadowlands.

At the same time, he was quietly telling the team's current owners that long after the team moves to Brooklyn, he will send them back 10 times a season to play "home" games in their old stomping grounds.

"I look forward to joining the New Jersey fans to cheer on the team," Ratner told reporters yesterday after formally signing contracts to buy the Nets for $300 million. "Our goal is to keep the fans. They are the Nets' fans. They're the most important thing in a business like this."

Ratner is walking a fine line.

On one hand, he is doing everything he can not to alienate the people he needs to fill the seats at the Continental Airlines Arena until his own $600 million development is ready. The team already is facing a projected $40 million in losses during the next two seasons.

But he also has to rally Brooklyn. For that audience, he hosted a pep rally yesterday and unveiled jerseys emblazoned with "Brooklyn Nets" in the script used by the old Dodgers.

"It's a proud day for Brooklyn," said Jay-Z, the rap artist, who is a partner with Ratner in the deal to buy the team. "I never got a chance to experience the Dodgers. This is the new Dodgers -- the Nets."

George Zoffinger, New Jersey's sport czar, could not be reached for comment. But on Thursday, both Zoffinger and Gov. James E. McGreevey said the state would be open to the Nets remaining as long as possible at the team's current home in the Meadowlands.

Raymond Chambers, a Nets' principal owner, said Ratner vowed the Nets would maintain a New Jersey presence -- possibly at a new downtown Newark arena for the Devils.

"We understand that the Nets intend to play 10 home games a year at a new arena in Newark, if and when it's completed," Chambers said. He called the gesture "a result of current ownership's appreciation of the fans, players, coaching staff and management."

The city of Newark and Chambers' team of lawyers and financiers are discussing another attempt to revive the long-stymied Newark arena deal, this time as a home to the Devils, which are controlled by Chambers. It is unclear if the project will go forward.

YankeeNets, the sports company that owns the Nets , voted yesterday to seek NBA approval of Ratner's purchase of the team and his plan to move the team to Brooklyn.

Ed Stier, chairman of Community Youth Organization, the nonprofit that controls the Nets, also said Ratner pledged to bring the Nets back several times a season.

"I spoke to him about it," Stier said. "He wants to do it as a way to preserve the team's New Jersey connection."

Ratner won the bidding war Wednesday for the Nets by beating out the partnership of developer Charles Kushner and Sen. Jon Corzine (D-N.J.), who promised to keep the team in New Jersey.

The Brooklyn arena is the centerpiece of an enormous complex of residences, office towers, shops and restaurants planned by Ratner that faces stiff opposition from neighborhood residents and small businesses. He must still secure land, financing and zoning approval from New York City and the Metropolitan Transit Authority.

Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), Gov. George Pataki and Mayor Michael Bloomberg attended the Ratner pep rally at the Brooklyn Academy of Music to lend their support to the project, along with Ratner's partners, who include Nets' legend Bernard King.

Bloomberg said only "a handful" of neighborhood residents and small businesses would be displaced, and those being relocated would be compensated well.

"You have almost 100 percent support," the mayor said, motioning toward the city and state leaders with him on stage. "This will go through."

George E. Jordan can be reached at gjordan@starledger.com or (973) 392-1801.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 05:09 PM   #142
jerseydevil

Quote:
Nets notebook: Players want fans in seats

Saturday, January 24, 2004

BY BRAD PARKS
Star-Ledger Staff

MIAMI -- Playing in front of 2,000 people a night? Huge swaths of empty seats? Apathetic fan base?

Not under the Jason Kidd plan for the lame-duck Nets:

"They could put us on a tour," said Kidd, only half-jokingly. "We could go to the Meadowlands. We could stop at the Garden. We could go to Mohegan Sun. Atlantic City. Have us play 82 road games."

Alas, that doesn't appear to be an option in the mind of new owner Bruce Ratner, who announced yesterday the Nets would stay at Continental Airlines Arena until a Brooklyn arena would open in 2006-07. That means two more full seasons in a place where the locals appear to have lost what little appetite for basketball they had.

NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik, who was here yesterday visiting the Heat, called the lame-duck Nets' attendance "an issue of some concern" to the NBA, but also stressed the league could look at the long term over the short.

It's the players who will have to deal with playing in front of a near-empty gym every game.

"I'm all for anything they can do to avoid that," Kidd said. "Giveaways. Meet and greet. Whatever it takes."

There was some support in the Nets' locker room for playing at Madison Square Garden, even if that now doesn't appear likely.

"I'm up for playing wherever we can get the best crowd," Lucious Harris said. "So that will probably eliminate one place."
I have therefore been forced to write another letter.

Quote:
Does Ratner really think that New Jerseyans are going to cheer on the Brooklyn Nets, just because he says they'll play 10 games a year at the Meadowlands? Obviously he does. However, I for one will not fall for his ploys. If all the deals go through and they are Broooklyn bound, I will not go see a Nets game ever again. I will not waste my money on a "New Jersey" team that is leaving the state.

The only reason he is saying he plans on returning to New Jersey 10 times a year is he knows he needs to still make some money here. He wants to retain a New Jersey connection because he needs us, the New Jersey fans, to make the team profitable. He doesn't care about New Jersey - otherwise the team would be staying here in New JERSEY.

He knows that if he loses us, he has to compete with the New York fans who already support the Knicks. He knows he can't make money off of just the Brooklyn fans and he knows that if he alienates the New Jersey fans - it'll make him lose more money. Well I say let him lose money.

Why should I, a New Jerseyan, feel sorry for a New Yorker who stole our team? Why should anyone care about the team, after the backstabbing, secret, behind close door meetings with NY. New York has been gloating at New Jersey's loss - well let's hit them where it hurts - their pocketbook. They are NO LONGER my team and they are no longer a New JERSEY team.

I supported the Nets while they were the worst team in the league- when New York used to ridicule them. How many New Yorkers can say that? I call on all New Jerseyans to boycott them and show some backbone. Let's not take this treatment lying down - it is the only way to show them for once that we are serious. Let's support New Jersey for a change instead of being railroaded, stepped on and ridiculed by people from New York. When was the last time New York ever did anything for New Jersey?

I will do the same as I do for our other two traitorous sports teams - the Jets and Giants - and root for anyone who plays against them.

Robert P Rosetta
WebMaster@AboutNewJersey.com
http://www.AboutNewJersey.com

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-24-2004 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:24 PM   #143
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I have therefore been forced to write another letter.
I'll join your boycott.

I have gone to a Nets Game in the past, but will no more.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:49 PM   #144
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r
I'll join your boycott.

I have gone to a Nets Game in the past, but will no more.
Thanks - can you spread word around. maybe spread my letter around. Hopefully it'll get in the paper.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-24-2004, 08:34 PM   #145
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
All those teams, except for Washington which isn't a state anyway - at least play in the same state, The Giants and Jets don't even play in NY State, let alone the city.
True. At the very least the Giants and Jets should not use NY on their uniforms. Especially while playing in NJ.

I only brought the above examples to point out other teams that do not play where they say they play.

I think the Giants and Jets are the only teams that play in one state while retaining the name of another state's location.

At one time there was talk of the Philadelphia Sixers and Philadelphia Flyers playing in the Camden area. If they did move, they probably would have kept the philly name.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
Old 01-24-2004, 08:40 PM   #146
jerseydevil

Quote:
At one time there was talk of the Philadelphia Sixers and Philadelphia Flyers playing in the Camden area. If they did move, they probably would have kept the philly name.
Hence why southern NJ is just considered a suburb of Philadelphia while northern NJ is just considered a suburb of NY. You better believe I would have been pissed if the Philadelphia teams came over to NJ and retained their Philadelphia moniker.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-24-2004, 11:16 PM   #147
jerseydevil

The Asbury Park Press sports section had this on their website...

Quote:
NAME THE NETS
Since the New Jersey Nets have been sold and will be moving to Brooklyn, we would like you to give us a new name for the team.

Please e-mail sports@app.com, or fax us at (732) 643-4012. Include your name, address and phone number on the correspondence.
I sent then the following...
Quote:
I think the Brooklyn Traitors say it all.
[EDIT]This is the attitude of NY toward NJ...
Quote:
YankeeNets approve $300M sale to Ratner

... Bloomberg, in particular, has been an ardent supporter of the plan. In fact, of all the possible snags in Ratner's construction plan, even the suggestion that the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority might sue to keep the "New Jersey Nets" name didn't faze the New York City mayor.

"The name's not going to be a problem," Bloomberg said on his way out of yesterday's news conference. "They can't fight for the name Brooklyn. In the end, that's the name that matters."
I wish NJ had this attitude toward them. We know all too well that the location name is what matters - as in the Jets and the Giants.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-25-2004 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:18 PM   #148
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
NAME THE NETS
Since the New Jersey Nets have been sold and will be moving to Brooklyn, we would like you to give us a new name for the team.

Please e-mail sports@app.com, or fax us at (732) 643-4012. Include your name, address and phone number on the correspondence.
How about the Brooklyn Rats (since the team was sold to agroup led by Ratner.

Old 01-25-2004, 10:39 PM   #149
jerseydevil

Quote:
How about the Brooklyn Rats (since the team was sold to agroup led by Ratner.
There was a demonstration today at the Meadowlands and someone had a sign that said that very same thing. That wasn't you was it?

Check out JoeNetsFan.com

There is a peition there - if anyone can sign it - that would be great.

No Stadium - Prospect Heights Action Coalition

[Edit]I'm petition signer 443.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-25-2004 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:26 PM   #150
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
There was a demonstration today at the Meadowlands and someone had a sign that said that very same thing. That wasn't you was it?

Check out JoeNetsFan.com

There is a peition there - if anyone can sign it - that would be great.

No Stadium - Prospect Heights Action Coalition

No, it was not me. I heard someone on the FAN use the name and I thought it was half way decent and it was funny to boot.

Old 01-25-2004, 11:33 PM   #151
jerseydevil

Quote:
No, it was not me. I heard someone on the FAN use the name and I thought it was half way decent and it was funny to boot.
At NY1.com Poll I suggested "The Brooklyn Traitors" and "The Brooklyn Crooks" I had added in my e-mail that I thought "The Brooklyn Rats" were good too as others have suggested.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-27-2004, 12:38 AM   #152
jerseydevil

Star Ledger called they want to print one of my letters. I'm not sure which one - but I think it is the second one.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-27-2004, 01:07 AM   #153
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
really, i couldnt tell

Quote:
I am tired of New Jersey being shafted by New York. We have two traitorous NFL teams who wear NY on their uniforms and now we have an NBA team who has decided NJ isn't good enough for them. It's about time NJ starts to develop a sense of pride and community, instead of being constantly stepped on and ridiculed by New York. The Nets home is in New JERSEY and if they end up moving to Brooklyn I suggest they adopt the name - "The Brooklyn Traitors" - http://www.AboutNewJersey.com
hard not to tell when you put your website and yor thoughts there

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 02:57 AM   #154
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by gollum9630
really, i couldnt tell

hard not to tell when you put your website and yor thoughts there
I didn't think it was that obvious. Anyway - I just put that in because the petition has been getting a lot of signers.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-27-2004, 12:01 PM   #155
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I just saw something about how Chris Webber has been out for awhile... and the Kings are starting to wonder about him... and that he was spotted in a Thai restaurant with Tyra Banks...

And I'm trying to remember... how many different NBA players have been linked to Tyra Banks? I guess she definitely goes for the tall, athletic, rich and famous types!

Oh - and JD, this fits better in the NFL thread, but you can take a cue from our own support of the local Cubbies... and think of the 'NY' in front of 'Jets' and 'Giants' as 'Next Year'... so that they're perpetually the 'Next Year Jets' and the 'Next Year Giants'... heck, I just corrected a minor typo, instead of 'Jets', call 'em the 'Jest'
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 02:17 PM   #156
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Holy crap. Tracy McGrady. 8 three pointers in the first half!! He was simply on fire. Makes you wonder how many he would have made if he hadnt injured himself early in the third quarter.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 03:35 PM   #157
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
Oh - and JD, this fits better in the NFL thread, but you can take a cue from our own support of the local Cubbies... and think of the 'NY' in front of 'Jets' and 'Giants' as 'Next Year'... so that they're perpetually the 'Next Year Jets' and the 'Next Year Giants'... heck, I just corrected a minor typo, instead of 'Jets', call 'em the 'Jest'
Thanks for the show of support.

The Home News printed my first letter, they did however edit it - like I knew they would. It does have in there about the Giants and Jets and so forth.

Quote:
Thursday - January 27, 2004

Well, New Jersey gets the shaft again. First the Giants and Jets decide to put New York on their uniforms, and now the Nets are leaving New Jersey for Brooklyn. Does this state have any self-respect and identity? We are losing a key advertising vehicle for this state, and it's no thanks to Gov. James E. McGreevey. The Nets could have been moved to Newark -- which I supported -- but no, that wasn't going to happen. Now that we a have a basketball team that is finally winning, they decide to leave.

I want to know: What are the great plans for sports in New Jersey now, besides the huge mall that is called Xanadu, that is? What is New Jersey going to do to bring high-profile sports franchises to this state?

I suppose the New Jersey devils will be next to give us the shaft while our politicians look on.
In particular they changes this.

Quote:
What is New Jersey going to do to bring high profile things to this state and bring some self respect.
to this...
Quote:
What is New Jersey going to do to bring high-profile sports franchises to this state?
In the letter I wasn't just referring to sports - but obviously they wanted to keep the letter centered on sports and the Nets.

At least my main feelings are contained in the letter.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-27-2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:36 PM   #158
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Wow! That calls for a "BOOM BABY" (what Slick Leonard yells everytime Reggie Miller knocks off a three)
Old 03-02-2004, 12:46 PM   #159
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

As bad as things are in the East, the Bulls would need a major miracle to make the play-offs at this point - even after wins their last two games. A couple weeks ago, I figured out that if all the teams win at the same pace as their current records, it would take a record of 35-47 to make the play-offs in the East - and back then, the Bulls were 16-38, so they needed 19-9 to finish (in the top 8 at the present pace).

Interestingly, the West had the exact inverse... the eighth best team was on pace for a 47-35 record!

This thread mostly focuses on NBA, but I'm so proud of my Illini! Not to jinx them, but after a 3-3 start in Big Ten play, they've won 8 straight, so they're just a half-game behind Michigan State. MSU and Wisconsin meet one more time (Wisc has just 4 losses) so if Wisconsin can beat them (it's AT MSU though) and Illinois wins their last two, they could be regular-season champs!

Meanwhile, the Salukis of my hometown (growing up) SIU lost their LAST conference game last night to just miss going undefeated with a 17-1 record in the Missouri Valley Conference.

DePaul has had a strong season and Northwestern has made all kinds of upsets in the Big Ten (including one over Illinois) - so the state should have 3-4 teams in the NCAA tourney (I'm doubtful Northwestern will get in - we'll see). Nearby Notre Dame has pulled off some Big Upsets in the Big East!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 03-02-2004 at 04:42 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:59 PM   #160
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

DePaul is still on the bubble Id say. Those others should make it though. As far as eastern conference NBA teams Id say its about that time of the year to aim directly for the basement and increase your chances of picking up an Emeka Okafor or somebody. Gotta hand it to the Nets though. That was quite an impressive win streak they had going before Minnesota snapped it. Lawrence Frank sure legitimized himself quickly Id say. But I dont think they can sustain it deep into the playoffs this year. And Indiana is the only other eastern team I see who can go head to head against the best in the west.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote