Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #801
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
Val, what age ranges are at "High School"?

Here, it is 11-18.

:
:
... You know, stuff like Avogadro's number comes up in all three in different guises.
High School in the USA is the last 4 years pre-college. Ages are like 14-18. Some high schools in Chicago are beginning to offer a 2-year program for the 2 years before.

* needs to look up Avogadro's number *

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #802
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I came across this recent article claiming that dinosaurs were all aquatic, well, mainly because they looked better in water. Sadly, to my disappointment, this was not an April Fools' joke (or a very late one), but ah well, some still may find this funny too.

If only for one of the most striking examples of this theory: stating that a T. rex had small arms because as a fish-eater it would have held his prey up in his puny arms to examine it. Try to picture a T. rex doing that, go on, it's fun. I'm still giggling.)
Old 04-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #803
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I came across this recent article claiming that dinosaurs were all aquatic, well, mainly because they looked better in water. Sadly, to my disappointment, this was not an April Fools' joke (or a very late one), but ah well, some still may find this funny too.

If only for one of the most striking examples of this theory: stating that a T. rex had small arms because as a fish-eater it would have held his prey up in his puny arms to examine it. Try to picture a T. rex doing that, go on, it's fun. I'm still giggling.)
Yea, quite silly- it would have got its feathers wet:

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress....ered-dinosaur/

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #804
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Oh yes, cool find, eh? Although technically, Yutyrannus' feathers don't prove T. rex also had feathers, especially if further study leads to them eventually not being related. Still, just image Spielberg updating Jurassic Park with a fluffy T. rex!

(This seems like a perfect time to link to one of my all-time favourite drawings of a fluffy T. rex.)
Old 04-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #805
inked
Elf Lord

Here's some really cool science:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKyljukBE70

One of my projects in high school was the incubation of quail eggs with daily dissection and drawings from initial incubation to hatching. It was a very interesting experiment. I regret that I have lost the drawings over the intervening 41 years, but I have never forgotten the amazing development recorded. We had nothing like the power of this imaging! But, wow!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote