Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Buying online?

I'm curious to find out if people buy things over the internet. Pretty much no one I know does so, apart from my sister.

I find it really useful to track (usually older) books I can't find anywhere else. Sure, I still tend to sweep all the bookstores in the vicinity. But now, when that search has left me empty-handed and sore-feeted, I actually still have a good chance to still get that wanted book online.

So I wonder what other people buy online?
Old 10-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I do!

I go to Amazon if I know exactly what I'm looking for, and usually find a good deal. Ebay is another resource I've used frequently in the past (it's how I got my CDs recordings of the Hobbit and LOTR from Mindware that we had on cassette tape when I was a kid).

Other than that, I like LOVE ThinkGeek.

But I also really enjoy browsing bookstores and other "physical" stores... although I suspect many of them will be facing major decline in the upcoming years. Online shopping is stealing a lot of business from the physical locations, and with less overhead to run the online stores I can't imagine that 20 years from now there will be as many physical locations as there are today.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

I've done some shopping from Amazon.
But what we mostly shop from netshops, are technical gadgets - computer cables, memory sticks, computer screens, occasionally even computers.
Sometimes items for synthesizers as well - my significant other makes a hobby of programming them. He learnt programming during the 1970s, when compiling your program (from holes in paper) was done overnight - what now takes seconds ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I try to stay away from Amazon myself. As a child from self-employed shop owners, I tend to dislike to shop at big market-controlling companies with bully-characteristics. I'm happy I've been finding what I want to have elsewhere sofar. Although I do like the review function they have, even if I am weary of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
Had to look it up. So going into the favourites.

Quote:
But I also really enjoy browsing bookstores and other "physical" stores... although I suspect many of them will be facing major decline in the upcoming years. Online shopping is stealing a lot of business from the physical locations, and with less overhead to run the online stores I can't imagine that 20 years from now there will be as many physical locations as there are today.
True, I bet there will be some decline, but I'm not sure whether it'll be a major one. My guess is that a lot more companies and businesses are going to have an online branch to complement, rather than replace their physical stores. Even in 20 years still not everybody is going to be online or have credit cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
But what we mostly shop from netshops, are technical gadgets - computer cables, memory sticks, computer screens, occasionally even computers.
I have bought the odd computer part online. It's great for things like memory cards for older, no-longer made computers or systems that most shops won't carry anymore. But I doubt I'd risk buying whole computers since that's more money than I dare to spend on the internet. if the computer's busted, it's easier to complain in the physical store, rather than getting a nebulous entity on the internet to fix things. So how do you deal with that uncertainty?
Old 10-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Had to look it up. So going into the favourites.
I so want their Tardis usb port for Christmas!!!!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #6
Mari
Elf Lady

I tend to buy my schoolbooks online and for the rest I use online shops mostly for research and salehunting. I bought my steamcooker online and I bought my laptop vian an online shop in a real shop. I wouldn't have done that latter thing if I hadn't been able to also go to the shop though.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I do my best to find what I want locally, but if I can't find it, I buy online (mostly books, toys for nephews) or do without. Occasionally I buy clothes, but it's such a risk with women's clothing sizes not being standardized. Once I bought a lamp online from the Chicago Institute of Art. We're still using it.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote