Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-18-2005, 03:22 AM   #1
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Time and Age in Star Wars!?

In the thread started by Lief Erikson I have argued the point of the Emperor's Origions, but one question that kept comming up in my head as I was writing was one of great importance to that subject and all of Star Wars together. The questions is how does time and space work in the Star Wars universe!? As we know the planet Earth revolves and spins around our sun every 365 days, each time that happens we have lived another year. We also know that other planerts in our solar system have much longer and much shorter years. With this understanding, how can you tell time in Star Wars!? If Corucant has years lasting 500 "Earth" days and Tattooine has years lasting 250 "Earth" days how old would someone be in the Galaxy!? When exactlly would events happen? If Corucant is faster in time than Kamino, would the clones have been contracted 200 years ago to the Kaminoians? What do you all think? How does time work durring intergalactic travel?

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:03 AM   #2
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad of the Dunedain
In the thread started by Lief Erikson I have argued the point of the Emperor's Origions, but one question that kept comming up in my head as I was writing was one of great importance to that subject and all of Star Wars together. The questions is how does time and space work in the Star Wars universe!? As we know the planet Earth revolves and spins around our sun every 365 days, each time that happens we have lived another year. We also know that other planerts in our solar system have much longer and much shorter years. With this understanding, how can you tell time in Star Wars!? If Corucant has years lasting 500 "Earth" days and Tattooine has years lasting 250 "Earth" days how old would someone be in the Galaxy!? When exactlly would events happen? If Corucant is faster in time than Kamino, would the clones have been contracted 200 years ago to the Kaminoians? What do you all think? How does time work durring intergalactic travel?
Interesting thought.

I would guess that a standard unit of time is used. This time would be the official time for the Republic/Empire based on a type of measurement. I have no idea what that would be. I am guessing that they would use the same time units that the planet Geia of the Sol system uses.

Quote:
How does time work durring intergalactic travel?
I am not sure, but from ANH and other SW novels, time does pass during hyperspace travel. During travel in Hyperspace a great distance is covered in a relatively short time.

If you want to have some fun go to stardestroyer.net
They do a lot of comparisons between SW & ST. This page gives a desciption of Hyperdrive technology. It does not cover time, but I think this should help a little.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:05 PM   #3
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Quote:
I think they run on earth years (which are called standerd years in the starwars universe)
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
frodomaniac12
Sapling

Supershadow.com

I know that this has nothing to do with this thread, but on supershadow.com, is it really Lucas answering the questions or is it just Supershadow? Thanks
frodomaniac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:07 AM   #5
The Witch-King of Angmar
Elven Warrior

Quote:
They would probably use galactic time, every planet (in the republic) would use Coruscant's time. Thus avoiding confusion.

I'm an Xbox Guy!
Xbox Guys
The Witch-King of Angmar is offline   Reply With Quote