Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-17-2002, 05:20 AM   #1
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

After Episode III comes out...

...will you recommend kids who were too young to watch any of the 6 films before to watch it as is (IV-V-VI-I-II-III) or straight Ep I to Ep VI?

I know there is some excitement involved with watching the first 3 episodes last as we all are having due to the wonder about how the characters in the last 3 got the way they are. I like it just the way it is myself.

But then again, George Lucas originally submitted a 6 episode outline to the producers long ago in a decade far, far away but that they opted to do the last 3 first for financial reasons (probably betting on 3 successes only and wanting to finish on a good note).

Any thoughts?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 05-17-2002 at 05:32 AM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 05:26 AM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'd recommend the order they're already in. That is, 4-6, then 1-3.
Old 05-17-2002, 07:15 AM   #3
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

I agree 4 5 6 1 2......then three

I want three to come out now because the film ended and I want to know what happens.

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 12:59 PM   #4
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Backwards.
Old 05-17-2002, 04:19 PM   #5
gdl96
the greg the admin

I thought about this.

After Episode I, I decided it would be better to have the original trilogy first, then the new ones.

But in a way, the new trilogy first would also work. True, it won't be surprising to the next generation sees Vader telling Luke that he is his father in ESB, but I think it would be exciting for them to see how Anakin evolves from that little boy from Episode I into Darth Vader, and then seeing what happens from there.

I'll compromise. I'll show one of my kids I II III IV V VI, and I'll show the other one IV V VI I II III I'll see what happens and report back the results (too bad Entmoot will not likely be around that long )
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 09:35 PM   #6
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I'd have to think on this more. I see Greg's point about some of the surprises in the sequels would be ruined by watching the prequels first.

In the theater I kept thinking - I know how you die. So I think by watching the last three first some things are also revealed. We know as soon as Boba Fett is introduced in EP2 that he will grow up to be a bounty hunter like his father. We know that Anakin becomes Darth Vader - and turns to the dark side. We know that Padme most likely dies in the next one, whether they actually show it or not.

I think the only thing that is really given away by watching it in sequencial order is really the "I am your father" scene. So I'm leaning more toward the I, II, III,IV,V, VI order.

I hope they release all of them in DVD soon so I can watch them all in order. Of course we still have to wait until 2005 for part III.

Hey Greg - maybe you could just have kids now - and speed up the experiment. You know - it's all in the name of science and Star Wars. Just kidding of course.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 05-17-2002 at 09:37 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 09:43 PM   #7
Ben
Retired Ent

You can never go wrong by experiencing a series in the order it was published.

Why do you think Padme will die? I thought she probably wouldn't die, since Leia says in ROTJ that she remembers her mother.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 09:53 PM   #8
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

maybe padme doesn't die and is still out there somewhere

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 10:18 PM   #9
jerseydevil

I was going to add that she may be in hiding - but then I deleted it. She remembers her mother - buit something obviously happens between the time Leia is 3 - 5 years old. I'm picking those years - because Leia only has faint memories of her mother (basically her long hair). If anything happened to Padme when Leia was older - she most likely would have more memories of her mother.

I had always heard that Padme was killed though. But that doesn't mean that Lucas won't change it in EP3 anyway. Not much is said about Padme in the sequels - so it's hard to piece her character together. Maybe she turns to the dark side too - and dies in the battle that deforms Anakin and put him into his life support system. I had always heard he falls into a volcano while fighting Obi Wan. I seriously doubt Padme would turn to the dark side though and I can't see Anakin doing any harm to her. So that's the main question I want answered in EP3 - what happens to Padme. Obviously if she wasn't killed - she most likely gave up Luke and Leia to protect them from their father. Or did the council take the kids away from them.

Also - did anyone get the feeling that maybe Padme has signs of the Force too? I got this impression when she was running and jumping on the conveyor belt. It would fit - since Leia has the force too. Leia never outwardly showed any signs of the Force - but Yoda tells Luke about his sister Leia. I was trying to think if there were any other hints that she might have the Force.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 05-17-2002 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2002, 10:23 PM   #10
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Good point, JD, in terms of no. of spoilers between how we are now viewing them and how they were originally conceptualized to be viewed.

But looking back on some of the insider jokes/easter eggs done in I and II, they have clearly been adapted for the current viewing public. Also, the "I am your father" as well as the "there is another one..." revelation both seem quite powerful moments that I couldn't imagine losing them.

I wish I could get 2 of those accelerated clones and perform Greg's experiments. Perhaps it would make for some interesting debates between these two kids.

And regarding Padme, perhaps she died on Alderan when it got obliterated by the Death Star. Didn't Vader kill the commander who ordered the test? Yeah, I know, we'll just have to wait 3 more years...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Old 05-17-2002, 10:31 PM   #11
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
And regarding Padme, perhaps she died on Alderan when it got obliterated by the Death Star. Didn't Vader kill the commander who ordered the test? Yeah, I know, we'll just have to wait 3 more years...
I was trying to think of where Lucas could have put Padme to make the audience do an "Oh yeah" type of thing. ( no background characters came to mind that might have been looking over Luke and Leia in Ep3 - Ep6). It is possible that Padme was in hiding on Alderan. If she was there - I don't think Vader/Anakin knew it though. Of course Leia could never have known that - the council made sure no one knew Luke or Leia's identity - least of all themselves until the very end.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 05-17-2002 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-17-2002, 10:44 PM   #12
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

did anyone ever think that hiding luke on tatonie, with ani's 1/2 brother and not changing his name was not the smartest of ideas

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 05-17-2002, 10:54 PM   #13
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
did anyone ever think that hiding luke on tatonie, with ani's 1/2 brother and not changing his name was not the smartest of ideas
Yeah that was sort of strange. My friend has my sequels - so I can't watch them. Now I'm wanting to watch them so I can see what hints are in them. Maybe there is a reason for Luke being on Tatoine. They never hid the fact that Owen wasn't Luke's father from him. Sometimes the most likely place to look for someone or something - is the place you don't look because you do think it's too obvious. Of course the other thing was that Obi Wan was also in "hiding" on Tatoine.

There are obvious gaps between the prequels and Star Wars that need to be explained. I hope it's just not stupid stuff that Lucas forgot about in his desire to get the films out.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 05-17-2002 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2002, 11:16 PM   #14
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

maybe obi "shielded" himself and luke

'Dern Helm"

Old 05-17-2002, 11:49 PM   #15
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I have a friend who hasn't seen IV, V, and VI, so I'm making him wait until after III to see those.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 12:42 AM   #16
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
They're not half brothers. They're step brothers. And yeah, its a daft idea. BUT if they're only step brothers, then maybe Anakin never visited them again, and forgot about him or something?
Old 05-18-2002, 01:17 AM   #17
olsonm
Elf Lord

Tatooine is the last place Anakin would want to look for Luke. Bad memories and all. He barely met his step-family and he must partially blame them for his mother's death, so there's no reason for him to want to see them again.

I'm interested to see the exact reason Lucas gives for hiding Luke there.
Old 05-18-2002, 02:12 AM   #18
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by olsonm
Tatooine is the last place Anakin would want to look for Luke. Bad memories and all. He barely met his step-family and he must partially blame them for his mother's death, so there's no reason for him to want to see them again.
I had thought about that - but there isn't any reason why he wouldn't send Storm Troopers or a search party to look for him. I mean the Storm Troopers do find out that the droids were sold to Owen and then torch their house. He didn't seem too concerned or bothered about hanging around Tatoine in Ep4 or Ep6. Also - wouldn't the Emperor want to search for Luke everywhere. Darth Vader isn't the highest force in the galaxy - as was made painfully clear to me in EP6.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 05-18-2002 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-18-2002, 02:19 AM   #19
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Also, Vader only seemed to have sensed the force in Luke during that bombing raid he did on the Death Star in Ep.IV. Probably got a hint just before Obi Wan faded when the latter told Luke to run for it and his emotions betrayed him.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 05-18-2002, 02:43 AM   #20
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Also - wouldn't the Emperor want to search for Luke everywhere. Darth Vader isn't the highest force in the galaxy - as was made painfully clear to me in EP6.
did the emperor know about Owen Lars?
And why would Vader suspect that obi-wan would hide there?

Last edited by olsonm : 05-18-2002 at 02:45 AM.
olsonm is offline   Reply With Quote