Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-15-2002, 09:42 PM   #1
Brimvalir
Elven Warrior

Original Dracula Book

I recently read the original Dracula book and it was creepier than any of the modern day vampire movies. anyone else agree??

All that is gold does not glitter nor are all those who wander lost......
Brimvalir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 11:27 PM   #2
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

You mean Bram Stoker's Dracula? I slept with a crucifix around my neck for two weeks after reading that! Scared the bejeezus outta me!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 08:52 AM   #3
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

It's definitely a lot creepier; especially in his hometown where he has spies and you have nowhere to run.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 12:22 AM   #4
Khadrane
Elf Lord

YES! I love Dracula! It beats the **** out of the modern vampire junk. I'm planning to start reading it again tonight. The first time I read it, I refused to read it before bed for fear of nightmares. I love that book!

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 01:32 PM   #5
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Thats one book I can never read at night.
Present day movies, etc. don't come close although I did like Frank Langellas portrayal.
Old 03-14-2002, 12:25 AM   #6
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Just a question for Dracula fans, Have you noticed that Dr. Seward's first name changes from Jack to John, or am I just imagining things?

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Old 03-14-2002, 08:29 PM   #7
XRogue
Elven Warrior

No, but I haven't read Dracula in about ten years. It may be that it was a pet name too. *shrugs*

Great and SPOOKY book tho. *shudders*
Old 03-15-2002, 11:24 PM   #8
Khadrane
Elf Lord

It was just a nickname. I just found out today that Jack is a nickname for John which makes no sense whatsoever. Oh well.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Old 04-01-2002, 12:09 AM   #9
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Yeah, that is one cool book. That is one of my favorite classics. Freaky as heck too.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 02:16 AM   #10
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I need to read it. Especially considering I'm making a movie about vampires. . . (darn, the teeth aren't sharp!)

My friend keeps telling me not to, 'cause it's scary and whatnot. I can imagine why, but I still got to read it!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 08:06 PM   #11
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Definitly read it! The first time I read it I carried garlic around with me like forever. It's very good.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Old 04-08-2002, 09:53 PM   #12
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Terrifically frightening and much better than any of the movies.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 09:54 PM   #13
azalea
Long lost mooter

Not only is Dracula different, but it irks me how movies ALWAYS seem to change Frankenstein around so much. I recommend that book highly. It's very different than the movies I've seen.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 02:53 PM   #14
Tulkas2002
Sapling

Dracula

thats a scary one - it really makes you feel sorry for the young man involved.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:51 PM   #15
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Dracula gave me nightmares. When they stopped I read it again! I loved it. I like the newer books on vampyres too. They're not all junk.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 07:12 PM   #16
azalea
Long lost mooter

I enjoyed the Anne Rice books I read, but they got to be a little much as they went on. I read the first 4. I guess Queen of the Damned is coming out soon, huh?
Old 04-16-2002, 07:15 PM   #17
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I enjoyed the Anne Rice books I read, but they got to be a little much as they went on. I read the first 4. I guess Queen of the Damned is coming out soon, huh?
Who? I've read the Anita Blake books however. Anyone else?
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 04-16-2002, 07:50 PM   #18
azalea
Long lost mooter

Anne Rice wrote a series of vampire books, starting w/ Interview with the Vampire, which ws made into a movie (R rated) starring Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. Queen of the Damned is the third book in the series. (oops, I guess I've just read the first 3 not the first 4)
Old 04-16-2002, 08:05 PM   #19
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Cool, thaks for the info!

Old 04-16-2002, 08:06 PM   #20
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Khadrane
It was just a nickname. I just found out today that Jack is a nickname for John which makes no sense whatsoever. Oh well.
I know, I never got that either, anyone know how that happened?