Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

No people Like show people...

Seriously I think theatre people are totally nuts, are we wired differently, does theatre make us that way?

Are all theatre people crazy or just mine? So thats the main question I want answered of the theatres that I've hung out at (mine and my cousin's) people are just crazy what do you guys say?? are all theatres basically loony bins??
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

Yes!

No, not really, but it does seem that way, doesn't it? There are three big theater groups in my small town: one is lead by a classic theater snob, with a history in Shakespeare and an open dislike for method acting, who can be seen walking on to theater stages around town with the intention of taking over direction of the production. Another is your equally classic depressed and cathartic method actor, with not so classic and deeply disturbing pedophilic tendencies. The third is lead by a sweet Christian couple who are moving away because they can't make it in theater here.

So, though I'm not ready to make any generalizations about theater folk, my experience with them has been sympathetic to yours.
As beautifully as it was taken up.

Thoreau.
D.Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
rohirrim TR

Well yeah, like you I didn't want to make too big a generalization about people but it seems that everyone I talk to agrees w/ me on this one. W/ the exception of the pedophilia thankfully, though there are a couple actors that have a thing with creepyish jokes, but ..yeah good times. good times.
Quote:
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

What standard would you like to apply?

Most of the working actors and tech people I know aren't more crazy than the average plumber or accountant.

They're working, however. That takes concentration.

The amateur theatre people are completely nuts, though.It's the sort of nasty job no one should do except with the expectation of being paid. Like sewer cleaning.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

High school theatre people are insane I should know I was one.

I haven't been onstage in a few years so I'm not sure about the professional actors. But like Earl said, Armatures are nuts

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:29 PM   #6
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
The amateur theatre people are completely nuts, though.It's the sort of nasty job no one should do except with the expectation of being paid. Like sewer cleaning.
That would be me.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:57 PM   #7
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
That would be me.
See, I knew I liked you.

It's all like Larry, Daryl and Daryl. Ordinary people would raise their prices for messy jobs, LD&D lowered them. That's volunteer theatre, in a nutshell.

Guffman and all.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:10 PM   #8
rohirrim TR

Yeah I'm talking amateur, Community college, not everyone's a volunteer some of us are on scholarship, but yeah, i'm seeing a consensus here that we are just not normal by anyone's standards.
Quote:
Old 11-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

From my experience, it's not just theatre people, but artistic people in general tend to be, at the very least, more temperamental than most.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
katya
Elven Maiden

It's definitely an over generalization but I did find at fine art camp that the theater people were generally the most fun. I liked the visual art people too. I was piano. kind of quiet and sophisticated maybe?

I think it takes a certain amount of energy and not caring what people think to get on stage and really act so, it makes sense.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
From my experience, it's not just theatre people, but artistic people in general tend to be, at the very least, more temperamental than most.

Excuse me?

Um, what are you trying to say, Gwaimir? Is there something you'd like to, oh, I don't know... TELL US? Because I think you've already spoken PLENTY.

GAWD. *arm flail*

I have to agree... artistic people, whatever their field, do generally tend to be a bit more on the diva side of life . I know plenty of completely laid-back musicians in my department, but most of us definitely have our moments. Some more than others.

My friends tell me I'm not a diva because I can't do the diva snap. Hard as I have tried. They claim I'm just high strung and tense... but I prefer to think of myself as a diva.

At least my family thinks I'm a diva. They understand me.

DIVA!!!!!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
*dramatic sigh* That's because the rabble doesn't understand our genius!

Old 11-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #13
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Theatre people are not necessariy crazy...as in insane...it simply appeas that way to the rest of the world due to the over-creativeness. This creativity needs outlet in many forms, which can result in the appearance of insanity.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:41 AM   #14
OldHippie
Elven Warrior

I think every occupation has there own inherent lunacy. Take my job, you have to have a heckuva sense of humor and a bit on the crazy side to work at a wastewater treatment plant. Although I do find find that we, as a whole, are far more creative in fixing problems and coming up with rather creative solutions. Plus the fact that I just love to tell engineers there ideas will never work and I am 90% right.

Last edited by OldHippie : 11-24-2007 at 01:42 AM.
OldHippie is offline   Reply With Quote