Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-27-2001, 12:34 PM   #1
Captain Stern

How was Gandalf able to defeat the Balrog?

The Balrogs were supposed to be the mightiest Maia except for Sauron so how could Gandalf the Grey defeat the Balrog of Moria?

I assume that when Olorin, Curunir and Co were placed in the bodies of old men that the full use of their power was restricted meaning that they weren't ABLE to utilise their full power.

Gandalf was never said to be a particularly mighty Maia but he was noted as being very wise.

Was the Balrog in Moria severely weakened during it's long stay in Moria?

When Gandalf broke the Balrog's sword did this severely limit it's combat effectiveness?

Did the Ring of Fire aid Gandalf at all in the battle? It says that the ring's purpose was to rekindle the hearts of the Elves and to raise the spirit of Gandalf on his long journey's and tasks and doesn't hint that it gives him increased power in battle.

To me the only explanation would be that the Balrog was severely weakened in some way, but of course it doesn't say anywhere that this was the case.
Old 05-27-2001, 08:02 PM   #2
Prince Faramir

being cynical

id say it was cos the book would be poo poo without him......... but more importanly he needed his old life burnt away so had to be defeated by the balrog - he WAS defeated by the balrog but at the same time of gandalf also defeating him - they key i think is that a ring bearer like gandalf [also a staff bearer] it would take all the balrogs powers to defeat him and it showed that it was too much for him, he was destroyed...
Old 05-28-2001, 12:31 AM   #3
Inoldonil

Re: being cynical

They were certainly able to use 'their full power'. They weren't allowed to contest Sauron in open might, and were forbidden to reveal themselves except in dire need. Olorin was stated to be the wisest of all of Maiar. He was of the people of Manwe and Varda, yet in one writing he was a councilor to Irmo, he certainly dwelt in Lorien often, and he learned much from Nienna. There are no weak Maiar and Gandalf certainly was not, Grey or White. He was coeval with Manwe, for one thing. This probably only means he was as old as Manwe (for in Of the Istari published in Unfinished Tales it says the Istari were Maiar, but 'not necessarily of the same rank'), but to have been among the first of the created conveys to me great power and majesty.

I think Gandalf is all too convincingly lesser. Among Hobbits he is comical, and praised for his toys. He was humble, and faithfully concealed his sanctity. The Balrog was not weakened, I would say, the vast halls of the Black Pit would not do that. Gandalf must be accepted as one of the ancient Holy Ones, as powerful as the Mighty Demons of Morgoth. Leastways as powerful as one of them. Do not forget as the others before him he perished in felling the thing.
Old 05-28-2001, 11:30 AM   #4
Prince Faramir

hey Inoldonil

that was my post but more concise and acurate and it made sense :P
Old 05-28-2001, 01:10 PM   #5
Mace McClain

Re: hey Inoldonil

Yea, that does make more sence.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:46 AM   #6
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

I also think that he should've been able to defet it because if some comparativly weak elves could kill one, then a bloody maiar could.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

i think that the Balrog was weakened. with all beings of power that turn evil [morgoth/sauron] whenever they DO turn evil and start living and caring about wordly things, they start to lose their otherwordly power. morgoth could not change form. sauron could not assume a pleasent form. the balrog was probably weakened a bit, but that is not the main reason. Gandalf could've taken him anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fellowship of the Ring
"I am the keeper of the Secret Fire"
when Illuvitar made everything, he said that he would send the Secret Fire into the world, and there it would dwell. the Secret Fire was withing Illuvitar to begin with. so, Gandy was packing some heavy ammunition, i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fellowship of the Ring
"The dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udun!"
yeah, Gandalf could handle a balrog....even if it was me
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:21 PM   #8
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

I've heard of elven balrog killers, why shouldn't an istari be able to kill a balrog? And I'm shure the balrog greatly underestamated Gandalf...

And Gandalf didn't exactly survive his encounter...
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #9
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

yeah...i've been wondering...but no, that's another topic, for another thread...
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote