Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-11-2001, 11:28 PM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

thrandruil the greedy

I can understand the men of lake town wanting some gold to claim as damage for the loss of their town.

But wasn't Legolas's dad a bit of a greedy guy? Did he really have a solid claim?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 12:39 AM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

He had some claim because of his aid in the Battle, but he does come across to me as rather greedy, yes. Not really a corrupt person, that is: not wicked, but a bit money-hungry. As a matter of fact he reminds me somewhat of Thingol, but less in might and wisdom.
Old 10-12-2001, 06:32 AM   #3
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

Everyone's blasting Thingol......
easterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 09:18 AM   #4
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Inoldonil

wasn't the reason for his army being there in the first place ( before the orc threat) to claim gold?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 10-17-2001, 09:53 AM   #5
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

He was a greedy jurk, willing to risk the lives of his men for something he had no claim to whatsoever. His men were either brain washed or as bad as he was.
Old 10-17-2001, 04:36 PM   #6
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Right. Like his son, Legolas, eh?
Old 10-17-2001, 05:04 PM   #7
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

Legolas, thank goodness, was not like his father.
Old 10-17-2001, 06:10 PM   #8
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Then surely the people he belonged to could be like Legolas, rather than 'brain washed or as bad as Thranduil is'?
Old 10-17-2001, 09:52 PM   #9
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I think there is something about Thrandruil saying he and his people were "ASSAULTED" by Thorin.

I hardly think that Bilbo and co. assault the King in the forest, but if the king told is people that he was assaulted, then they may follow him for some type of retribution.

'Dern Helm"

Old 10-18-2001, 01:37 AM   #10
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

i got this from galadriel's mirror

Middle Earth Editorial #4
I really just don't think the Wood Elves have a leg to stand on

By Thorin Oakenshield

I'm sorry. I've mulled this over a thousand times now, and I STILL just can't see where those Wood Elves get off claiming a part of this treasure! This is baffling the hell out of me, and I wish someone could explain it.

Okay, I'm cool with the lakemen. The burgler and Balin have explained it so I see. They DID save us from the barrels and they DID outfit us for this little expedition. And I suppose it isn't insignificant that they're pretty much responsible for that dragon not coming back and devouring us, so okay - fine. I'm okay with giving them a healthy share. Probably even more than the 1/12th they asked for. I'm also open to the idea of sending some gold back Beorn and Elrond's way. They actually HELPED us.

But the Elves??? Come on! Okay, forget the fact that they waylaid us and locked us up in their dungeon and would have kept us there for time out of mind if it weren't for the burgler. Assuming that we're willing to forgive them for THAT little episode, I just do not see how they have a legitimate claim on anything!

They hindered us from getting to the mountain, and they didn't do anything to rid us of the dragon. All they did was show up in force after the work was done. Is there an aspect of this situation that I am somehow missing? Please, if I'm being blind to some obvious fact of justice here, point it out to me and I will shower you with thanks! Is it OKAY to show up after any fight and demand a share of the spoils just because... well, just BECAUSE?

I admit, greed and good old-fashioned dwarven gold-lust overtook me when I first got here. But I've quite come to my senses now and I am still forced to conclude that any school child would have to question this preposterous claim to our gold.

Now of course, there will be those who think I'm some old miser who can't share and share alike. Well that's just not fair! I ask you, would it be legitimate for me and my dwarves to show up in Mirkwood and demand a little food and lodging just for no reason and with no payment? A-HA! The elves didn't seem to think so when they locked us up! But now that the tables are turned and we are the ones with means, the elves are all like: "Why can't you share?" Well, they're just breaking my heart.

What vexes me the most is the fact that wether they get any gold or not, they're bound to benefit from the release of this wealth into the local economy. Why can't they be happy with the inevitable benefit to everyone that this supply-side bonanza will have in short order? If you ask me, those elves have a lot of nerve.

'Dern Helm"

Old 10-22-2001, 05:38 PM   #11
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

I agree with Thorin.
Old 10-23-2001, 09:50 PM   #12
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I agree with thorin as well. I think the elves in question were just pissed off that their prisoners managed to escape. makes them look bad, don't you know. To save face they had to make someone "pay"! either figuratively or literally.

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 12:26 AM   #13
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

Thorin, aren't you dead?

Maybe Thranduil's kingdom is in deep economic crisis. Them Wood Elves do import a lot of food, even exotic stuff like Dorwinion wine. How Thranduil pays for them is a mystery, his folk don't seem to export anything. I think the Kingdom has been running a deficit for quite some time.

Erebor's re-establishment will surely drive up the demand and price of food, and the Dwarves flooding the market with cheap manufactured goods and gold will assuredly drive up inflation.

Things aren't looking so hot for Thranduil's kingdom.

This may be the catalyst for a meeting of the W.T.O. (Wilderland Trade Organization) ..... King Elessar will have to send somebody to mediate with them after the War.
easterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 12:02 AM   #14
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
Elves are a pure, full-blooded,powerful people.They took no more than their due.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 12:13 AM   #15
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

Quote:
Originally posted by Christiana
[B]Elves are a pure, full-blooded,powerful people./B]
pure? eol maeglin..feanor(mebbe)
maeglins company in the "defense" of gondolin
Old 06-08-2002, 05:38 PM   #16
Christiana
Elf Lord

Eol was an "unwilling" elf, and Maeglar was his son. Feanor was just corrupted.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Old 06-09-2002, 03:50 PM   #17
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

maeglor? i believe ur thinking of maglor one of the sons of feanor. Maeglin was just a bad elf as was his dad Eol.
maeglin wanted to kill tuor and earendil and take his cousin as wife. Eol tried to kill maeglin for staying in gondolin. maeglin told the location of gondolin to morgoth.
feanor was over-prideful. I for one dont consider him evil, but yes he was corrupted due to the lies of Morgoth intertwined with his pride.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:12 PM   #18
Christiana
Elf Lord

I get confoosled w/ the M names

Old 06-14-2002, 05:40 PM   #19
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Also, keep in mind that when the Hobbit was first written, Tolkien was still working on the world of Middle Earth. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), that he didn't intend at first to make it the introduction of Middle Earth.
Non of the species (including Valar and Maiar) inhabiting Middle Earth were all good. There were no perfect races, and elves could do wrong too.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:40 PM   #20
Jador
Elven Warrior

Maybe It was an age old resentment for the Dwarves,stemming from the sack of Doriath,that made these Sindarian's want to caus trouble with the Dwarves.After all isn't Thranduil supposed to be from(or desended from someone from)Doriath?-Maybe he just don't like Dwarves,In which case, Curse Elves and thier stiff neck's!

Last edited by Jador : 06-15-2002 at 03:49 AM.
Jador is offline   Reply With Quote