Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

The Trolls ate 1 1/2 Villages?

In the Hobbit it mentions that since the 3 Trolls came down from the mountains they
( or at least one) had eaten one and half villages. ( worth of people?) Where did the victims come from? He mentions man-flesh. So, are they're villages near by? Or just travelers? If travelers who could they be?

AE

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

No information is given on said villages, but certainly there would be many small farming communities scattered about in the arable lands between the Shire and the Misty Mountains. The closest we get to a metion of them is here and references to 'men out of the wild'.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Thanks for the reply.

AE

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 04-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

IIRC The Hobbit doesn't mention Bree, though they are so complacent in LoTR that it wouldn't seem they'd been ravaged by trolls a generation before.

There were also substantial settlements of Dunedain:

"Tolkien actually made a note, now filed among his papers at Marquette University, which stated that Aragorn’s people lived in the Angle, between the Bruinen and Mitheithel rivers. The Mitheithel river, as it turns out, does lie about 100 leagues (or 300 miles) east of the Shire"

Source: Xenite.Org (http://s.tt/18N6h)

And, as Lefty suggests, there were probably scattered settlements - a single family or a few huts at most- of people related to the Men of Bree.

I think the quote is "you've et a village and a half between you" so there may be some exaggeration.

Also note they're roasting "fat valley sheep", which would seem to indicate domesticated animals.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #5
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

From Language and Peoples of the Third Age Appendix

Quote:
Alien, too, or only remotely akin, was the language of the Dunlendings. These were a remnant of the peoples that had dwelt in the vales of the White Mountains in ages past. The Dead Men of Dunharrow were of their kin. But in the Dark Years others had removed to the southern dales of the Misty Mountains; and thence some had passed into the empty lands as far north as the Barrow-downs. From them came the Men of Bree; but long before these had become subjects of the North Kingdom of Arnor and had taken up the Westron tongue.
So, like the Bree folk they had been there before the Kings and were still there after.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Here is a link to the same discussion elsewhere: http://cubicle7.clicdev.com/f/index....=0&#entry26793

'Dern Helm"

Old 04-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

I suspect there are also various populations left from the Kingdom of Arnor and its sucessors, in addition to the remaining Dunedain. From somewhere in the HoME I recall that there were various human populations related to the Three Houses of the Edain before the founding of the Numenorean Kingdoms in Exile Iin addition to the Numenorean port enclaves) and these formed the bulk of the population of the Kingdoms in exile with a mixed aristocracy of Numenoreans and prexisting lordships.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Part of the quote is also, "... since we came down from the mountains"

This begs the question - how long had it BEEN since they came down from the mountains? Did they just come down for a few weeks? For a season? Or maybe... a few years?

Eleven years before this - Aragorn's grandfather, Arador - was 'taken (and killed) by trolls' in this general vicinity. Although they're played up for a children's tale in this account - could the culprits in the Arador case have been William, Bert and Tom?

Of course - the statement is, I think, primarily one of hyperbole and chiding over gluttony. One wouldn't think that trolls would consider it a bad trait, but perhaps we misjudge them.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote