Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-29-2004, 05:13 AM   #81
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

But they could because it wasnt so much a shadow world, it was... an otherworld and the spirits of the imortal elves were in that side of existance. If an elf is killed in arda his spirit(shadow world form0 goes to the halls of mandos. I am pretty sure the elves could see, they could see frodo as he was becoming more wraithlike, and if he put on the ring perhaps.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:00 AM   #82
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
I don't think that the elves could see into the shadow world.
I don't think that any elf could see into the shadow world (the Wood Elves could not see Bilbo when he wore the ring ), but some of the, those who had lived in the Blessed Realm, probably can. Remember what Gandalf tells Frodo in "Many meetings" about Glorfindel.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:14 AM   #83
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

He only said that he was visible because he was of the Firstborn not that he could see him.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:52 AM   #84
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Gandalf actually said that "those [of the Elves] who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm, live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power." It is reasonable to believe that if you are present in the shadow world, then also everything and everyone else in that world is visible to you.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:11 AM   #85
Telcontar_Dunedain

So in a way they were half wraiths of good?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 08-29-2004, 04:25 PM   #86
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

well back to my point, if even some of the higher elves can see frodo in the "shadow realm" than someone higher like a maia or vala could no dount see him!? As Tom Bombadill had to be something higher than even elf if he is telling the truth about being fatherless.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 04:30 PM   #87
Telcontar_Dunedain

Unless he is one of the elves that was first awoken by Eru.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:40 PM   #88
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Who is Tom
I think that Tom is Arda as it was created by Eru in the beginning. The more men/elves/dwarves/hobbits modify Arda, the less Tom considers it its reign. Given that Arda is a thing, not a being, he/it is not affected by the ring

My question 1
One day is spent in the house of Tom (while it was raining). Does this have any special meaning?

My question 2
Both Tom and Goldberry know of the perils of the Barrow Downs and still they send the hobitts on on their own. Why is that? It is true that Tom gives them a ryme to call him but he should have known that they were unlikely to have the presence of mind to use such a ryme
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:15 AM   #89
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

*DING*

Just had a thought.

Late in Chapter 8, when Bombadil gives the knives to the Hobbits and tells them about the Men of Westernesse - and the sons of forgotten kings who still go wandering about, they suddenly see a vision:

Quote:
"The hobbits did not understand his words, but as he spoke they had a vision as a great expanse of the years behind them, like a vast shadowy plain over which there strode shapes of Men, tall and grim with bright swords, and last came one with a star on his brow."
What were they seeing, and who was that last one? My first thought (knowing what I know now) was that it was the line of kings, in reverse - and they saw Elendil at the last. Another thought was that it was the forces of Arthedain, going off to fight Angmar's forces - but with the king bringing up the rear, rather than leading, which would be odd.

But it just occured to me that Tom perhaps gave them a vision of Aragorn. What do you guys think??

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:41 AM   #90
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
*DING*

Just had a thought.

Late in Chapter 8, when Bombadil gives the knives to the Hobbits and tells them about the Men of Westernesse - and the sons of forgotten kings who still go wandering about, they suddenly see a vision:

What were they seeing, and who was that last one? My first thought (knowing what I know now) was that it was the line of kings, in reverse - and they saw Elendil at the last. Another thought was that it was the forces of Arthedain, going off to fight Angmar's forces - but with the king bringing up the rear, rather than leading, which would be odd.

But it just occured to me that Tom perhaps gave them a vision of Aragorn. What do you guys think??
i think it is aragorn, with the grey company, protecting the boundaries of the shire, but meh! what do i know
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:54 AM   #91
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard from Milan
Who is Tom
I think that Tom is Arda as it was created by Eru in the beginning. The more men/elves/dwarves/hobbits modify Arda, the less Tom considers it its reign. Given that Arda is a thing, not a being, he/it is not affected by the ring

My question 1
One day is spent in the house of Tom (while it was raining). Does this have any special meaning?

My question 2
Both Tom and Goldberry know of the perils of the Barrow Downs and still they send the hobitts on on their own. Why is that? It is true that Tom gives them a ryme to call him but he should have known that they were unlikely to have the presence of mind to use such a ryme
It was chance that brought them to the Barrow downs. They were initially planning to bypass it from the north, but their ill-timed nap, and the unexpected fog caused then to lose direction and unwittingly wander into the Barrow downs. So Tom and Goldberry were not really expecting them to encounter the wights- the rhyme was given as a 'just-in-case'
Serenoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #92
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Things have changed drastically in the last 24 hours for our hobbits. Fatty Bolger saw them off into the Old Forest with a prophetic : "I only hope you will not need rescuing before the day is out" - and of course, they DID need rescuing, and Tom's the one that rescued them.
BUMP!!

These threads are great! Lol this is now officially my favorite thread on the Moot (along with the discussion of Chapters 5 and 6) I always thought the trip from Bag End to the Brandywine river, and then the start of their voyage 'for real' into the depths of the Old Forest was the best read of the entire Lord of the Rings

Tolkien at his best. I like the description of the early morning mist when the four hobbits set off into the Old Forest, with distant sounds and an air of suspense in the hours before sunrise

Will definitely add some thoughts later here!
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote