Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2000, 02:54 PM   #1
anduin

Women

This thread is a continuation of a discussion that was started in "Women of the Silmarillion" thread. I am bringing it over here to keep that thread on topic. To catch up with what is being discussed please go through the link.

First off let me say that I am not into politics, in the least bit. I will even admit that I am not one to vote regularly. I do become interested in politics every four years, and I usually vote in presidential elections. Second, I doubt that I will be involved as much in this thread (if it even goes anywhere at all) as others who probably have more fact and figures, but I will speak up whenever I feel like women are being generalized. Third you may have noticed my style of debate, which is to ask many questions, but not give any real facts. I do this partly because it is an easy way to make a point and because I do not want to give the air that I am an expert and I do not want to change anyone's opinion. All I want is better understanding of a topic and to do that I ask questions.

I think the demographics of the election and the reelection of Bill Clinton, and the nature of the support for Al Gore, prove my point. The big to-do over The Kiss is simply an eloquent expression of the Nature of things. There are a lot of empty headed, astrology believing, Oprahfied women out there who have no business casting a vote to determine the destiny of Humanity. But I don't think all men should vote either.

Could the larger demographic of women voters that showed up to elect Bill Clinton has something more to do with his support of women in politics, the appointment of women to high offices in his Gov's office, etc. than because he was more "cute" than George Bush?

I think this is the second time at least that you have refered to "the Nature of Things." I am just curious what exactly you mean by that before I comment on that any further.

Your third sentence, is the hardest to swallow. Even though I am not in my opinion empty headed, do not believe in astrology, and do not watch Oprah, I can take offense at this. It is a generalization that women are not capable of making an intelligent decision based on the facts but that they are more interested in the frivolous. You soften the blow by saying that you do not think that not all men should vote either.....how convenient.

As I was trying to think of a clever title for this thread, it occured to me that this thread may well end up becoming a large debate such as the abortion, creation science, election, Canada, and nuke threads. For lack of a better subject heading I called it Women. Interesting that one gender over another could be (potentially) so controversial. Thing is men are hardly ever considered to be so debateable (except in personal matters ). I think that the fact that there is even discussion to this degree about women proves that there are still people out there that believe that women are not equal.