Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-27-2001, 02:58 AM   #1
hama

Now More Than Ever!

I have visited many boards since the movie came out. On any other board this post would probably be considered spam but thanks to Ben, this is essentially my board, or at least my portion of it so what the heck.

Now, more than ever, I am convinced that LotR can be brought to the stage successfully. I have seen the film four times now and revel in its beauty and power almost to the extent I do in reading the books. What strikes me as I visit Entmoot and other boards is that the comments revolve around relatively "small" elements of the story. "A favorite line..." "A favorite moment..." and they are invariably about a particular instance or performance. all things that can absolutely be brought to the stage and given great power through good acting and music.

I admit that length will be a major stumbling point. I have little more time than FotR to tell all of the story of LotR...at which I will fail miserably. I know everyone, including myself, is too excited about the movies to really care about a musical version that may or may not get produced, but now, more than ever I see this show in my mind and hear it in my heart. I thank J.R.R. Tolkien and Peter Jackson for that.
hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 10:28 AM   #2
Darth Tater
The man

Hama, I've been wondering, how do you plan on getting the rights to make this?
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 12:29 AM   #3
hama

The same way anyone gets rights to produce anything Tolkien related....money. Granted it will be more expensive with the success of FotR but that is ultimately the responsibility of the producer to negotiate the deal. My discussions with Tolkien Enterprises have been brief but constructive. Apparently I am the only person foolish enough to think that LotR can be adapted the stage and indeed foolish enough to actually write one. A foolish Took indeed.
hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 01:29 PM   #4
Agburanar
Elf Lord

But with your musical there's storyline between the battles, thanks Hama! Rather a story than twenty five little battles!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 01:30 PM   #5
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I've read some of the script, and most of the lyrics. Get it to Vancouver, BC and I'll pack in your theatre!
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 12:51 AM   #6
musicalandlotrlovr
Hobbit

I know I've said this a zillion times before, but, I'll say it again: I wish you all the luck in the world. I do! I'll see your musical when it makes it's debut.
musicalandlotrlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 03:51 AM   #7
hama

Thank you both. I am so glad you like my work. I know adapting Tolkien is a touchy subject but I have tried to do my best. So Crickhollow I assume from your post you like the lyrics. Any one in particular?
Old 03-15-2002, 07:24 AM   #8
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

ummm, can't think of it right now, but i'll post later after I've had some sleep. It's about 3:30 am here, and I keep coming back to the Moot on breaks from writing a paper for my Educ. class I'll let you know after I've had some sleep. sleeeeeeeep...
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 10:16 PM   #9
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Great hama, I wish you success.

But for heaven's sake, why couldn't you forbid the wizard his staff?

Oh, and don't go to Helm's Deep.
Old 03-19-2002, 04:33 AM   #10
hama

It is a great scene and/or great moment within a scene. However, by eliminating Wormtongue it makes the line somewhat superfluous. Perhaps it could be worked in with Theoden speaking the line after Gandalf uses the staff in anger. But that would also require some set up at the interchange with Hama at the gates of edoras....
Old 03-22-2002, 06:35 PM   #11
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Heh... It's your play.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:07 AM   #12
hama

Yes it's my play but it is your opinion...Do you think the line is good enough or important enough to work in? And of course, if so, why?
Old 06-22-2002, 03:00 PM   #13
Esmerelda77
Sapling

Hello people I am back Sorry I havan't been posting as I used to lately. I had a lot of things to do. So anyway hama how is the play coming along? When do you think there will be any auditions for it when you FINALLY get to that point? Well replying for this message yes i hope the play is good. Hopefully you'll need somebody young to be in it like me I hope the play works. Also I am in a play called "Oliver" so wish me luck on that!

*True story*
Esmerelda77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 09:51 PM   #14
hama1
Elven Warrior

Welcome back Esmarelda. It is nice to hear from you again. Unfortunately there has been little progress lately and we are unfortunately no closer to auditions than we were before. I wish you luck with Oliver. If it is the same show, I played Bill Sykes in one of my "former lives." Break a leg!
hama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 05:40 PM   #15
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

i hope i can be in it to if it is close to where i live

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote