Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-25-2002, 08:59 AM   #1
musicalandlotrlovr
Hobbit

never say never ! :)

You could always give it a shot.
It's easy. Just pick a style (major or minor or something), then bang on the piano and see what you come up with. haha.
I'm sure you could do it if you tried really hard. I used to think I couldn't write music.... but I gave it a try, and now I write music A LOT!
musicalandlotrlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 10:46 PM   #2
hama

I am delighted that anyone thinks it is cool that I am trying to adapt LOTR to a musical....However as I have said here and on other threads and forums....LotR is already a musical....it was just waiting for a "fool of a Took" to try to adapt it to the stage.

As for the type of music it is Major and triumphant in the main though I find I have written most of the major songs for the male characters in Eb minor with modulations to major...not that I am really a composer...I ddoodle with melodies and let real musicians develop them. I am also glad that you like the lyrics. I think with the time constraints of the musical format it will be necessary to impart a great deal of information about the characters through song.
hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 02:10 PM   #3
musicalandlotrlovr
Hobbit

Agreed

You can DEFINITELY tell alot about the characters through the music. Gandalf's songs mysterious, Frodo's songs triumphant, Sam's songs kind of quiet, Pippin's songs funny! So on and so on! (I know you're not doing it like that, but that was just an example). *sigh* the joy and expression of music.....
Old 01-27-2002, 08:15 PM   #4
hama

a song for Pippin.....hmmmm?
Old 01-28-2002, 05:15 AM   #5
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Serena, I'd love to see someone else's interpretation of a set for this musical. If you want to discuss ideas etc. you can always e-mail me. The same goes for anyone else who has any ideas!

Last edited by Agburanar : 01-30-2002 at 11:00 AM.
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 01:38 PM   #6
tilko
Sapling

Gandalf music

Hy there again!

Hama, I'd like to ask you if the sheets or midis of music are available. Maybe you should tell us more about the style of music (clasical, rock, jazz, ...).

tilko
tilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 04:27 PM   #7
Esmerelda77
Sapling

Hello again y'all!! It's been a while. I hope everything works out for the soundtrack there. Whoever is wanting to be in this play email me. Maybe one day we can get picked!! (what a nice thing that would be on my resamay

*True story*
Esmerelda77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 07:06 PM   #8
hama

I do not yet have any of the music available on midi or mp3 although that is in the works. As for sheet music I do have 3 or 4 lead sheets scanned onto disc. They are "With His Words", "One More Tomorrow" and "Sail on my Friend." Well, I guess it is 3.

As for the style of the music I guess I would describe it as standard Broadway "pop-operatic", perhaps in the style of Les Miserables or Phantom. The orchestrations and incidental music are being written with a certain Celtic flavor which I feel is appropriate for the piece.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:51 AM   #9
tilko
Sapling

Gandalf music sheets

Hello!

Äre there any copyrights on these sheets? I'm so curious on this music. And when do you expect the recordings will be available to hear?

tilko
tilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 12:29 AM   #10
hama

tilko,

Yes all the music I have written is copyrighted by me and the company I set up TOR Music, Inc. Halan Entertainment which purchased the music publishing rights to the music also holds certain secondary rights.

I am somewhat hesitant to predict a date certain for the release of the demo CD as my earlier estimates have proved to be ambitious.
Old 02-02-2002, 11:27 PM   #11
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

no minor songs?

Major is fine but it really is only one eigth of the spectrum of emotion in a song. It would be a pity if we could only hear the happy and triumphant parts of LOTR protrayed in music. Just play around with E minor. Em, Am, B make some really good chord series although you have to watch it or you'll slip into the russian mode of scales. Please put some kind of minor song in the play.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 11:47 PM   #12
hama

From your post I get the succint impression that you are much more knowledgeable than I when it comes to music theory. I don't have any of the sheet music in front of my but my recollection is the Gandalf's "Beyond the Question"is written in E minor and I am reasonably sure that One More Tomorrow at least starts out in a minor key.

In addition, what would you think of the idea of writing much of the incidental music in minor keys to add texture and depth to the show?
Old 02-03-2002, 02:34 PM   #13
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

That's good .. Yes definitely have minor music for the background music It portrays conflict. That would sound great.

I am no music expert I just got finished studying chords and modes so I know those specific ones but I don't want to put myself on a pedestal that I have no right to stand on.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 10:16 PM   #14
hama

A great suggestion none the less...and I took the time to check back. Gandalf's big song starts in E Flat M.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:01 PM   #15
musicalandlotrlovr
Hobbit

I'm back!

Hello everyone! I'm back! Yes, you can groan if you want... j/k
I think Pippin should have a song. I dunno, that's my opinion. He should have a funny major-sounding song!!!!! (Pippin in adorable)
The songs in "Les Miz" and "Phantom" are absolutely cool!!! You could do the "Andrew Lloyd Webber" style (Stephen Sondhiem's music is cool, too). Or you could also have the music be sort of Irish or Scottish sounding. I dunno, but whenever I think of "LotR" or myths or Fairy tales or whatever I ALWAYS think of Irish, mythical sounding music.
I think the music should reflect on the creature that's singing it. Elves should have mystic music, Orcs scary (Singing Orcs????), and so on and so on down the line. These are just my opinions, feel free to badmouth them, if you want.
P.S. If you really feel that you need help composing the music or anything, I would L-O-V-E to help you in any way.... I compose a lot of music, and I'm a big musical lover. E-mail: idolovehobbits@yahoo.com
Old 02-07-2002, 10:32 PM   #16
hama

Yes the orchestrations definitely must have a Celtic sound and feel...hopefully that will come through most directly in the incidental music and the under-scoring. With the exception of Andrew Lloyd Webber, I heartily concur with your musical tastes. However as my music tends to be very lyric driven (without the mind blowing brilliance of Sondheim) I am hoping it is a somewhat original sound. Perhaps in ten years people will be talking of a Marston style musical....but perhaps I am being too bold.

As for helping, I just ftp'd Ben the sheet music for one of my favorite peices from the show..."With His Words". When Ben gets it up on the site why don't you take a look at it and tell me what you think and how you think it could be improved.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:47 AM   #17
musicalandlotrlovr
Hobbit

Neat-o!

I think it's very possible that ten years from now someone could be talking about a "Marston style".
I'll look at the sheet music, print it out, play it, and tell you what I think. And when the musical is famous someday I'll say, "I talked on a message board with the person who wrote that musical."
Are you going to have an opening song?

P.S. Sondhiem music and Celtic music rock. Have you heard "Into the Woods"? I sing the song "My Fault" from that musical constantly. It drives everybody nuts.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:21 PM   #18
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Into the woods is a great show!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 01:43 PM   #19
musicalandlotrlovr
Hobbit

You have good taste in musicals, Agburanar!!!
"Into the Woods" is a good musical!!!

P.S. If anyone is doing that show and holding auditions, could they let me know?
Old 02-08-2002, 10:56 PM   #20
hama

I absolutely adore Into the Woods especially the second act.

"ah, if life were only moments,
Even now and then a bad one.
But if life were only moments,
Then you'd you never know you had one."

and "No More" and "No One is Alone"....

God if I could ever write something half as brilliant....