Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-29-2001, 11:39 PM   #1
hama

Some Music for this Musical

I am pleased to announce that there may actually be some music from this musical in the foreseeable future. I just spoke with Stephen Pearl, Chairman and CEO of Halan Entertainment/StageStarz Records, which purchased the music publishing rights to The One Ring last spring. He informed me that they have booked 4 days of rehearsal and recording studio time for the project in early November. He is trying to coordinate with some well established Broadway performers to sing some of the key roles. Songs being considered for this recording and subsequent demo CD include, I AM YOUR FRIEND, WITH HIS WORDS, IS THERE..., and THE QUARTET.

Obviously, when we get the music recorded you will be able to hear it first at The Tolkien Trail. I am also excited because this represents a real investment (If anyone knows what 40 hours of New York City studio time and musicians cost!!!!) and vote of confidence in the work.
hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 05:50 AM   #2
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

Cool

You've heard from me before. That is so cool! Whenever I find out about a musical, I imagine who I might be able to play in it. In this case it was Frodo. Bit impossible, isn't it. But I like to know what is happening.
Elven Warrior Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 11:15 AM   #3
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Keep us posted with all the events, and if you ever need an actor for any role talk to me .
Old 09-30-2001, 11:19 PM   #4
hama

To elven maiden warrior, yes I know I have heard from you before and am delighted to hear from you again and always. As far as envisioning yourself in a role, I know exactly how you feel. I was an actor long before I started writing and I always thought about parts I could play or how I might play them differently from the actor I was watching. All too often I would see an actor play I role I had and say "My god, I never thought of that." As for you playing Frodo, don't dismiss it so quickly...By your screen name I assume you are female but as I have already made one gender identification mistake on this board, I am reluctant to assume anything. However, I will not be surprised if in the actual production many "male" roles will actually be played by women. For some of the lead roles, the first that comes to mind is Legolas. Pardon me if this seems sexist, but somehow I feel that an actress may be able to communicate the lithe, graceful strength of this marvelous elf better than an actor could.

As for the Hobbits, there are simply more women 5 feet tall or less than men. I clearly see Legolas, and the Hobbits as "trouser roles"...women playing men's parts.

And to you webwizard...it may be easier for you and I to discuss this and your potential as an actor in The One Ring than you think as I have a home in Massachusetts as well. Who knows...maybe we can drive down to the Entmoot together.
Old 10-01-2001, 03:07 AM   #5
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

I agree completly with webwizard333, keep us posted!

Hama, can you tell us when you think the songs will be on Tolkien Trail? I've tried making up tunes for them. ( I hope yours are better)

And when we (or at least I) say keep us posted, I mean absoloutly every single tiny detail.

When you get the actors and actresses, get people who know and love the Lord of the Rings, being able to sing and act is a bonus

I hope you're not joking when your're telling people here who ask about auditioning that if they email you ir something like that they can.(Sorry if my being curious about that insults you, but it's not every day your favourite book becomes a musical, and you think you may have a chance in it)

You live in America somewhere, don't you?
Old 10-01-2001, 06:08 PM   #6
hama

I will definitely keep you up to date. As for the timing of when the songs will be available on Tolkien Trail, I can only guess sometime later this year. Our first recording session is sceduled for early October assuming we can coordinate and work around a lot of people's schedules. Exactly how long the sound engineer will work on re-mixing the various tracks, I don't really know. As this will be the first time recorded versions of the songs will be available for listening, I don't want to rush anything and have the quality not be the best it can be.

As far as my not kidding people about auditioning, a gentleman whom I met on line through playbillonline sent me his headshot and resume. He is a huge Tolkien fan. He is a school teacher in North Carolina but will be coming to New York to sing some of the chorus parts for the CD. I have no idea what kind of voice he has, although by the shows and roles he has listed on his resume, (which I confirmed with the theaters listed) he must be at least okay and a welcome addition to the project. For the lead roles I am hoping to arm twist some of my old broadway-actor pals into giving me a few hours of their time.

Last but not least, yes I live in America, splitting my time between New York and Boston.
Old 10-01-2001, 11:40 PM   #7
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

Good luck in your arm-twisting. Can't wait 'till I can here the music. Hey, if it comes out in words or on CD soon, will people be able to use it in choirs and stuff. My school choir has only 8 people in it, and we need some songs that will sound good with a small number of people singing.

Is it fun to be writing something, and listening to other peoples ideas? I want to be an author, and I need to know these sort of things.
Old 10-02-2001, 08:05 PM   #8
hama

Is it fun? Well yes, more often than not. Sometimes it is exhilirating and sometimetimes it is pure drudgery. Of course you must remember that I am not "writing" something, yes I am writing lyrics and some dialoque but I am really just adapting the great thoughts and great epic of Tolkien's.

In some ways that is easier. I could never have dreamed up and expressed so wonderfully the world of Middle Earth. Other times it is harder because I am taking into my hands a work beloved by millions of people and hoping to do it justice. When I have to cut out a scene or a character, it feels as if I am slicing into a magnificent beast.

Listening to what other people think...well develop a thick skin...some of the comments I have gotten include "The lyrics sound like they were written by a chimpanzee on crack." or "This clown is certainly no threat to Stephen Sondheim or Andrew Lloyd Webber." But for every bad comment there have been positive ones as well. Even more gratifying is when people are initially skeptical of the project but then they read it and realize it is good or at least that I obviously love LotR.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:38 PM   #9
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

These are the times I really wish I was a teen professional actor. But do you HAVE to be an equity actor to audition?? Because I've had absolutely no experience with Broadway or, really, any other fully professional theater. (I've been involved with a semi-professional summer theater in my hometown for two years now,though.)
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 05:30 AM   #10
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

Renille, you're lucky to be doing even that. I bet most people in the world at least once hoped that they could be an actor. The only thing in acting I've done is last year's grade seven musical. I did have a main part, but I lost my voice the day before the musical
Not allowed to do any other acting.

Hama, I'm glad you aren't paying attention to the people sending bad comments, because they really don't have any idea what they're talking about. And don't worry about the cutting down. You do have to fit it into a certain time, and this isn't a book that can go on forever. Other people and yourself have to know that.
Old 10-26-2001, 05:41 PM   #11
Serena
Hobbit

Are you serious?

I too, hope you're serious about letting people audtion online. I have some acting skill, but I go to a school for the arts, where I study vocal music, and if you need someone for a role, let me know. I'd like to see the music -- but as I live in Canada, I'm forced to accept that there could be a problem getting me to any recording or practice sessions.

But, hey. This is still cool. Keep me posted, please.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 12:09 PM   #12
Agburanar
Elf Lord

I just put in an entry to another section of this conversation. I'd love to design a stage set for the musical, could we arrange something? I think, maybe it would be good to take over the whole theatre, like Cats or even Starlight Express. Expensive to produce, but I just know it would be a hit!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 03:35 AM   #13
hama

Agburanur,

I think you are so right. I think a set that takes over the whole theater is the only way to go. I unfortunately don't have the imagination that you obviously do to make something like that come to reality. At some point yhat you feel is appropriate, I would love to see your sketches and/or ideas. Yes, the show will be expensive to produce. We are estimating an intitial capitalization of 12 to 15 million, certainly expensive by Broadway standards but I agree, if we do it right it should be a major hit.
Old 11-18-2001, 04:55 PM   #14
Mouth of Sauron
Sapling

Nazgul Hama

Please email or PM me when this happens. I'm interested to hear the songs, especially WITH HIS WORDS.
Old 11-22-2001, 06:30 PM   #15
hama

Hey MOS,

Good to see you out in the light! I will definitely be in touch when the music is available. I appreciate you interest. I wasn't too surprised when you asked about With His Words. From your review it seemed to be a favorite. I was gratified but not surprised. Hey maybe you could post a link to review here if you think people might be interested.

See you in Lugburz.
Old 01-17-2002, 09:07 PM   #16
Serena
Hobbit

Hello Again.

I'm still hoping I could get a role (I know it's wishful thinking . . . but hey.)

About the sets -- I've got a couple of ideas my self. I'll go through them and see if I can put them into something understandable.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:36 AM   #17
hama

I would be delighted to see your designs. You might want to discuss your ideas with Agburanur. He has shown me some great ideas and has some simulation software that seems very interesting. Set design is an area where I have some ideas but am essentially clueless about specifics or specifics.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:05 AM   #18
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Yeah. Let's start a set discussion thread!
We can design it as a group over the web.
Old 01-25-2002, 08:50 AM   #19
musicalandlotrlovr
Hobbit

New here

I think it's really cool that you're writing this musical. It must be REALLY hard turning J.R.R's books into music and stuff. I've read how hard it was for the writers to put "LotR" into a MOVIE. I can't imagine how hard it would be to make a stage musical out of it. But from what I've read and heard it sounds likes you're doing a cool job. I've read some of the lyrics online and I think they're really good! If you ever need a young, pretty-short actress with REALLY curly, brown/auburn hair..... I'm your girl!
Do you take the book word by word and just put it into the musical? Are you writing the music, too? What kind of music is it going to be? Minor and mythical or triumphant and major or what? I've often dreamed of writing musicals (I'm starting on the music for one of them), and I would love some tips.....
Sorry if I'm bogging you down with questions!
musicalandlotrlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 08:54 AM   #20
Agburanar
Elf Lord

I imagine writing the music would be the hardest thing! I've writen a musical called 'Silver Machine' but that just uses 60s and 70s hits, I'm no good as a composer!