Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-25-2002, 12:18 AM   #41
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I didnt say it was any good.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 01:13 AM   #42
hama1
Elven Warrior

I have never seen the Hobbit stage play so I have no opinion. However I can say that I didn't particularly enjoy reading the Hobbit and never considered adapting it to the stage. LotR seemed a natural. As I have always maintained, with all the songs and lyrics in the source material, I believe LotR is already a musical. It just needed to be adapted to the stage. I am always curious about posts about line-dancing hobbits or Balrogs singing. I can't figure out why posters think I would inject elements into the story that don't exist in the source material. I guess theu can't be bothered to read the script or synopsis and/or don't really understand musical theatre.
hama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 05:59 PM   #43
Celandine
Elven Warrior

A musical? HAHAHA I would want to see this it would be very funny. I would probably enjoy it, a lot.
Celandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 09:48 PM   #44
hama1
Elven Warrior

Actually the lack of humorous elements in the adaption is one of my major concerns. Areas that I have focused on bringing to the show are the elemnets of humor in the rivalry between Gimli and Legolas, interchanges between Merry and Pippin and of course the relationship between Sam and Frodo which in and of itself is not particularly "humorous" but at times light hearted when juxtaposed against the grim reality of the quest.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:34 AM   #45
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

Sorry Hama, but i agree with koyote fields, no good can come of this...

'Fate goes ever as fate must.' Beowulf (Seamus Haney's translation)

FRODO LIVES!!!
Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 12:45 AM   #46
hama1
Elven Warrior

Have you read it?
Old 07-13-2002, 12:25 PM   #47
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

no, didn't know you could read it...where?

'Fate goes ever as fate must.' Beowulf (Seamus Haney's translation)

FRODO LIVES!!!
Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 12:17 AM   #48
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Sheesh, why bother posting badmouthing the play if you haven't even read it????? In some other topic, people were asking questions that could be EASILY ANSWERED by reading the One ring musical site first. I even posted a link.
It is hosted by the Tolkien Trail - you know big link from main page. I wouldn't think to look there.

The One Ring Musical

Sorry if I seem harsh, but If I were Hama I'd be ticked off if people were posting that "no good could come from the play" if they hadn't even read it! Read it, then decide.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 03:22 PM   #49
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

Hello there. This is only my second time posting in Entmoot, but I saw this discussion and had to know more. I have read the script, and I think that this is terrific! I'm really into musical theatre and I think that deciding to do this after the fashion of Les Miserable or Miss Saigon is the perfect idea. The editing out of some characters was understandable and the right decisions were made, in my humble opinion. Also, nothing extra was added. That is good. My compliments to hama1!
Galenavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 02:18 AM   #50
hama1
Elven Warrior

To Hobbit, Galenavar and all others...

First to Hobbit, I appreciate your eloquent words in my defence. I have spent three years of my life writing, re writing and re writing the book lyrics and music for this project and thus perhaps it is not unreasonable to expect someone to spend 30 minutes reading the synopsis and the first act of the script. But then Elbereth didn't know that these things were available on the Tolkien Trail. Now he/she does and I welcome his/her comments/critisms/suggestions. (Actually I think I have been helped a great deal by such feedback in the past.)

As far as getting ticked off, I am still so grateful to Ben and Tolkien Trail giving The One Ring a home, and recognizing that the posters here are members of the Tolkien Trail if I do get ticked off I do my best to not show it.

Finally, a post like the one from Galenavar makes all the trials and tribulations worth it. Understanding that I had to edit out characters and then agreeing with my decisions is incredibly re-affirming. The comments about Les Miserables and Miss Saigon are also appreciated.

Basically, I don't know if someone, anyone should have tried to write a musical adaptation of LotR but I chose to do so and I honestly feel I have done a reasonably good job of it.

Sincerely,

Hama/Brad
Old 07-16-2002, 02:46 AM   #51
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
My friends and I would have given anything to be in it, but we are all the way over here in Washington State. DARN!

Is this going to play on Brodway? Will you be touring? Maybe comming to Seattle?

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Katt_knome_hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 11:42 PM   #52
hama1
Elven Warrior

Seattle or Bust....

I was born and raised in Seattle. My father was on the board of the Seattle Rep...If The One RIng tours it will definietlely come to seattle.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:21 PM   #53
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Yay! It sounds great!

Old 07-26-2002, 12:32 AM   #54
hama1
Elven Warrior

Well keep your fingers crossed for us!
Old 07-26-2002, 02:35 PM   #55
azalea
Long lost mooter

I have a question: since the movie has had so much success, if you found a backer tomorrow, how long would it take to open? I guess my point is would you mind it opening before all three movies are released, or would you prefer it to open after that to avoid the inevitable comparisons, and comments that might be made about the play being done "because of the movies" or something like that? (I know it's been in the works since long before the movie release, but "the masses" wouldn't know). If it were to open before the release of RotK, would you plan it to be, say, in the spring or summer to avoid it being the same time as the movie opening? Just curious.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 01:23 AM   #56
hama1
Elven Warrior

azalea...congratulations....I think you have just asked the most intriging question yet. If we found a backer tomorrow my best guess is that it would take 6 months to a year to open the show depending on the availability of a suitably large theatre. My dream is to open the show in London's West End and then transport it to Broadway. As far as openng it before the release of RotK I would love to...it is after all show BUSINESS...Titanic the musical and Titanic the movie opened somewhat contemporaneuosly and I think the musical was helped by the movie release.

The economics are so different for ticket buyers between theater and movies that I don't think the musical would have any effect on the movies. The top ticket price for a Broadway show ranges from $85 to $120 a seat though what drives grosses are group sales at somewhat discounted prices.

If I had a choice as to when the show opened it would be march or april as april is the last month you can open a show and be eligilble for that ears Tony Awards which are given out in June....That way if the show is good, it has a strong "buzz" going into the Tony voting....
Old 07-27-2002, 09:34 PM   #57
azalea
Long lost mooter

Alas, yes, I wish I could afford to see live theater more often! It's been so long since I've been to a musical, and there's nothing like live theater! That's why I'm glad so many musicals have been made into movies -- I get to see them (although they may not be as good as a live performance). Who knows, maybe someday The One Ring will be made into a movie!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 04:01 AM   #58
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Happy! I am so going to see it when it comes to Seattle. Do you think it will be at the 5th Ave or where? Cuz the 5th Ave is expensive and I would need to prepare. And have a party. And jump and hit my head on the celing. You get the idea.

Old 10-31-2002, 07:38 PM   #59
Telperion
Enting

I have mixed feelings about this. The script looks GREAT!!! and I would love to see a LOTR musical. On the other hand, I don't think that it would come to Calgary, Canada, and that is pretty much the obly way i'd get to see it and so i kind of feel like, "If i can't see it, i don't want it to exist." Oh well, if they do make a movie out of it I could get that.

Aim for the stars, if you miss, you'll at least land on the moon!

He who is made of air should not accuse the wind.

My mind wanders.
"Not all those who wander are lost."
Therefore, my mind is not lost.
Now, my question to those of you who doubt my sanity is this: How can someone who has not lost their mind be insane?
Telperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 01:44 AM   #60
hama1
Elven Warrior

Telperion,

I am so glad you like the script. Thank you so much for taking the time to read it. (Reading scripts of plays and musicals can be so tedious.) If this ever gets produced, I am sure it will tour to Seattle or Vancouver....Is that close enough?

Hama