Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2002, 02:21 PM   #1
Thorongil
Hobbit

Arwen in the Movie, How did you feel about her?

I Really Didnt like the portrayal, and she has the worst line in the whole movie

If you want him come and claim him

Lame or what
Thorongil men called him in Gondor,the Eagle of the star, for he waskeen eyed, and wore a silver star upon his cloak, but none knew his true name nor in what land he was born.He came to Ecthelion from Rohan, where he had served King Thengel, but he was not one of the Rohirrim. He was a great leader of men, by land or sea,but departed into the shadows whence he came, before the days of Ecthelion were ended.
Thorongil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 03:45 PM   #2
Lelondul
Swan-buggerer

I think you'll find identical sentiments from just about everyone here - myself included. Additionally, I think it really detracted from Elrond's percieved power when she called the flood by some type of verbal incantation (what was that!?). I think most of her role changes were unecessary (as were many of the films inconsistencies).

Though I thought Liv was cast well in appearance (she could spek Elvish to me all day ), and the the romantic bits between her and Aragorn were appropriate and well done.

Last edited by Lelondul : 01-03-2002 at 03:46 PM.
Lelondul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 03:54 PM   #3
Darth Tater
The man

Actually, most ppl here are cool with Arwen.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 04:18 PM   #4
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
Actually, most ppl here are cool with Arwen.
I agree, although the flood scene was, to my mind, awkward. It wasn't so much Arwens involvement, it was the Line mentioned - could have been better written. Perhaps the writers ( PJ ect) wanted to make her seem tough. Which isn't necessary because Elves do not need to look tough - they just are - which was demonstrated by Legolas.
I also think her elvish lines would be easily misunderstood by those not familar with the story. The flood itself was outstanding though.
Kevin McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 08:35 PM   #5
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Oh, Liv Tyler can speak elvish to me anytime she wants.

And you know what? I really dug her cheesy lines! Despite what it may have done (and did) to the plot line I wanted to see more of her.

Next Movie Project for PJ: Glorfindle's Revenge

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 09:05 PM   #6
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I don't mind Arwen taking Glorfindel's 15 minutes of fame, but I don't like her taking Elrond's part in the flood.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 10:07 PM   #7
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Liv tyler looked the part, and she was a pretty good choice.

But the scripting they did for her sucked pretty bad.

Also... I've heard comments that lead me to wonder exactly why The Ulairi would have been chasing her.

Er... Nevermind.
Old 01-03-2002, 10:15 PM   #8
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I think Arwen is fine, especially the scenes with her and Aragorn. The only thing I thought was strange was the whole "Grace" thing. And she's not very elf-like, with the crying and the macho "come & claim" line. I liked the scene where she and Aragorn are talking by the shards of Narsil.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 10:16 PM   #9
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I have this to say: when she drew what was very clearly a sword and glared in a menacing fashion, I was worried about a warrior princess fiasco. Luckily, it just looks like she was using it as a prop for her li'l incantation to call the flood. While it could have been better (i.e. she could have not been there at all. ), it could have been worse - if she had started hacking at ringwraiths with that thing, it would have been all over for me. As for love scenes, they are add-ons and if you think there is room in a 3hr movie for this sort of thing, as long as they are short I can ignore them. Far be it from me to deny people a chance to see a pretty girl spouting romantic lines. We all know that you can't sell a movie if it ain't got a love story .
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 11:19 PM   #10
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I liked Arwen's role. She showed a really wide range of strengths and emotion. I usually hate romantic scenes...I'm a tomboy in that way...but I liked hers. It seemed more noble than most. Except the inevitable, dreaded, kiss. Yucky.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 12:09 AM   #11
Kamyel
Hobbit

I liked her role in the movie for the most part. However, like some of you already mentioned, I was a little disappointed they had her call the flood. It just seems to me like it took away from the power Elrond has. But then, that's just my opinion.
Kamyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 02:54 AM   #12
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I thought she was great. She wasn't very much like Tolkien's Arwen, but that doesn't matter. She was great.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:07 PM   #13
Billadillo
Hobbit

Well Thorongil, I for one agree whole heartedly with you. I was very disappointed with the changes they made to her character.

And just to clarify...it's not because I'm a Tolkien purist snob or anything. I actually think her scenes w/Aragorn in Rivendell are excellent. I think it's a good idea to show more of their romance now, so their marriage in ROTK makes sense. (The first time I read the books, I had no clue who Arwen was when she showed up again)

Of course, romance sells well too...but at least they didn't invent one for the movie. I think it's perfectly reasonable to think that, while in Rivendell, Aragorn would have spent some time with Arwen.

My point is, I support those extra scenes, because even though they're not in the book...they're consistant with the characters...unlike the race to the ford/flood scene.

To the relief of those who have read my other Arwen rants, I won't reitterate everything here. Suffice it to say those scenes make me ill.

(If you want to hear my rants, check out the "The worst change in FOTR" thread.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:12 PM   #14
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Billadillo
Well
My point is, I support those extra scenes, because even though they're not in the book...they're consistant with the characters...unlike the race to the ford/flood scene.

I do not think what the movie had Arwen do was out of chacter. Like I have stated before I think it was perhaps the weakest exectuted scene in the movie, but and elf riding a horse isn't a strech of character.
Kevin McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 11:51 PM   #15
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Arwen was pretty good imo. :d

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 12:29 AM   #16
anduin
Entwife

Pretty good? I know for a fact that you liked her more than that!

Her role could have been much worse as someone stated previously. I can live with it for that very reason.

It still kills me though that when ever I see her being interviewed either in a mag or on TV, she (or the article) always mentions that she can speak Elvish....like she can speak it fluently, when actually she is just quoting lines of dialogue.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 01:14 AM   #17
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, Lelondul, I do take exception. Although I don't really understand exactly WHY Arwen's role was expanded for the film, except possibly because of pressure for the studio bosses, I thought the role of Arwen worked rather effectively.

I've stated elsewhere that I was quite put off by the casting of Liv Tyler for this role, or ANY role in the film, as I have never been able to stomach her in any film, and yet I came away pleasantly surprised. The role worked well, she did an absolutely beautiful job, and I was completely taken with both Ms. Tyler, and the expanded role of Arwen. I thought the scene of her coming upon Aragorn and the hobbits in the wilderness was great, the scene at the Ford of Bruinen was effective, and was really deeply moved by the scene after Boromir threw down the hilts of Narsil, where she "bucks up" Aragorn, saying he was not Isildur, and would not make the same mistakes. I thought the scene of them together on the bridge was just magical.

I gotta admit I got misty a couple of times by her performance.

You know, it DOES puzzle me why Mr. Jackson and the screenwriters made this change in the film. Do you folks think it was solely for the "eye candy" factor, or do you think that perhaps there was a sincere desire to add a female character of power and strength to keep this from being solely a "guy movie"?

I have stated, mayhaps ad nauseum, that Mr. Jackson was walking an incredible tightrope in trying to keep us Tolkien lovers happy and also in trying to pull in others who had never read the books. I think, at least with the changes to the story regarding Arwen, he pretty much ticked off at least a 51% majority of Mooters; but why would he make such a fundamental change to the story, we may ask? I've been fascinated by a lot of the comments I've read in the Moot, and there have been some very excellent opinions on the issue.

I would have to say that the entire Arwen issue has got to be the biggest "bone of contention" in the entire film. I, for one, accept the changes in good humor and forgive Mr. Jackson in the name of artistic license. I know many of my fellow mooters disagree with me on this facet of the film vehemently and wholeheartedly. I for one love this interchange. It has made me appreciate the film all the more, on this eve of my going to see the film for the fifth time. Fair play to you all! This has got to be the best discussion group I've ever had the pleasure of joining. I'm probably biased because Tolkien is one of my favorite subjects...

Nah. You folks are what makes it great.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 06:11 AM   #18
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

i was certainly afraid of the perils of a "warrior princess" and thought that whole idea as unnecessay, but now i think i can understand where were they going with those added scenes to Arwen's character: the more they develop Arwen, the more they are developing Aragorn. the whole idea is a narrative device to make Aragorn motifs more understandable.

also the devoloping og Arwen gives light to one of the main themes of the book: mortality/inmortality and the doom of the elves.
Old 01-05-2002, 09:20 AM   #19
CaranIstar
Hobbit

Strider

I, too, didnt really like Arwen stealing Elrond and Gandalf's part in the flood...

Did anyone else notice that Arwen was riding with a saddle and all that human-horserider stuff? I thought an Elf wouldnt really need those....
CaranIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 10:03 AM   #20
Gandalf The Grey
Hobbit

Nazgul Black Riders and Arwen

When Arwen made the flood one of black riders acted dum because he just stood there looking at the flood.
Gandalf The Grey is offline   Reply With Quote