Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2004, 06:36 AM   #11
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Well, it seems I'm the only fan of Richard II here... Richard III enjoys being evil and I can enjoy it too , but sometimes it seems too unreal... Too politically influenced by the Thomas More's text in which it is based (a text that, to some extent, wanted to legitimate Henry VIII's legitimacy, and consequently Henry VII's)...

Richard II is more centered in the psicollogy of the main character, and although the dramatic movement of the play has its stops and goes, the portrait of the King is marvellous: a fairly depressing character

About movies:

Luhrman. I liked it (I also like almost every "Shakespeare movie" ). Loved Danes. Not so Leo. Some good actors, some bad. The modern adaptation was good when it didn't distract us from the text (almost always, but in the bloody scenes).

Branagh: I liked all them. Even Love's Labour Lost... well, actually, from this movie I just enjoyed all Costard and Branagh's long monologue about "women's eyes". Funny songs too