Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-25-2003, 06:13 PM   #181
Elbereth5
Sapling

Quote:
Originally posted by samwiselvr2008
They are nothing compared to The Lord of the Rings, but still a good read. I meen, nothing really compares to Tolkien's work, the world that he made was so big and real filling, I remember waching the movie before reading the book, and almost asking someone if it was real, the only way that I could tell that it wasn't was because of all of the magic and fatacy creatures. Lord of the Rings is so much more alive then HP. My point is, if you compare it to Lord of the Rings, then of course it's gonna be no big deal, The Lord of the Rings is the classic, and origonal, without LOTR, who knows if Rowling would have ever even read much fantacy. So HP isn't as good, but you have to give them credit, the HP fans may be saying that we are over obsessed, who knows? To say that it is over done is to say that Lord of the Rings is over done, after all, there is more history to Lord of the Rings then Rowling can think up for HP (probally). You have to compare the book to nothing, not to other fantacy, and then you'll see.
I totally agree!!!!!!!!!
Elbereth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:22 AM   #182
frodomerryandaragornrock

I HATE Harry Potter!!!! All the characters are minions of Sauon!! Thats what I think!!!! I have some friends that LOVE it, but I dont see all the hype. But, whatever, people are entitles to their own opinions, right?
frodomerryandaragornrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #183
Freeflying
Hobbit

I have never actually read any Happy Potter but have already decided that i never want to - i know this is unreasonable as everyone (par some few here) that HAS read it says its great. Perhaps its the hype but i have no desire to read any whatsoever - there are other books i would much rather read like War and Peace, Crime and Punishment and The Bible - and those are just for starters

Last edited by Freeflying : 08-26-2008 at 05:31 AM.
Freeflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #184
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Life is long...if you spend enough time reading, you may have time for HP eventually.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #185
Pitchike12
Enting

I hate Harry Potter since I 9 yrs old. It's kind'a annoying to me now.
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie. -Gandalf
Pitchike12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #186
Ulfsark
Sapling

I hate thread revives since I 9 yrs old. It's kind'a annoying to me now.
Ulfsark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #187
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfsark View Post
I hate thread revives since I 9 yrs old. It's kind'a annoying to me now.
What's wrong with a thread resurrection? Here they are celebrated.

I have never read the books, don't plan on reading them (too much Tolkien to read-have to finish the Histories!). But the movies have a very good plot and are very entertaining!
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #188
Ulfsark
Sapling

The thing with Harry Potter is unlike most series of literature (yet not unlike the Lord of the Rings), is that each book is somewhat better than the previous one. The last book really is gold (IMO it is quite a considerable amount better than it predecessor), however to understand the rather complicated plot you really need to have read all the previous books.

It's a shame because the first two or three (or rather four) were really marketed at children but towards the end of the series JKR employed a writing style more suited to adults. She even slipped in a few naughty words.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #189
Galdor of the Havens
Sapling

I do hate Harry Potter, but not the first or second book though, I love it except the other books.
Galdor of the Havens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:51 AM   #190
Ulfsark
Sapling

Are you serious? They have sloppy plots and a writing style made for children. They take over a year of little happening until the end when, coincidentally they destroy one of Voldemort's plots.

The Deathly Hallows however has a superior writing style and a deep plot; filled with action from beginning to end, unsuspected twists and great character developments.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #191
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfsark View Post
Are you serious? They have sloppy plots and a writing style made for children. They take over a year of little happening until the end when, coincidentally they destroy one of Voldemort's plots.

The Deathly Hallows however has a superior writing style and a deep plot; filled with action from beginning to end, unsuspected twists and great character developments.
I read the first four and gave up because I agree with your assessment- maybe I'll give the next one a chance, now that I've got Chinese New Year holidays coming up.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote