Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-17-2002, 04:43 PM   #1
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti
Elven Warrior

Who Hates Harry Potter?

I think it's the dumbest thing since "Instant Fire (just add water)." I don't understand all the hype. Anyone else?

"Vires decusque."
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 05:51 PM   #2
katya
Elven Maiden

oooo! me! i dont like harry potter! i haven't seem the movies, and do not want to. the books were, um, i have read worse, but really not that great. (by the way, my teacher read them to the class [that sure was a long time ago] and i did not read them by my own free will)
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 07:56 PM   #3
Gilrond
Enting

I agree that it is a little hyped, but you have to admit, it is one of the more creative fantasy sagas around.
Gilrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 02:50 PM   #4
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

it's a very nice book. I think that if it can be so famouse, there is a reason. many tolkien fans don't like HP, probably cause it's a good book, and it almost passed tolkien.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 05:59 PM   #5
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

its no lord of the rings but its a very good book, a lot simpler and easier to read than tolkien

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
-Gandalf

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-Gandalf
GandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 04:22 AM   #6
Hrothgar
Hobbit

I didn't mind it, the book, I mean. I have only read Philosopher's stone. Too simple, I like books with depth

I didn't mind the film either

No one is without fault

Amo discere linguam Latinam, potero enim docere eam.

To see my face go hither
http://46728074.home.icq.com/personal.html
Hrothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 02:14 PM   #7
sun-star
Lady of Letters

It's a lot deeper than in seems on the surface (if that makes any sense) but people overlook this because it's marketed at children.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 04:22 PM   #8
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Harry is a complicated book in the 4th book. I didn't understand it in the first time. It wasn't so simple. in the third book ?I didn't understand it well too in the first time. It's not *so* easy.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:06 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

It gets a lot more complicated as the series progresses, and it gets *very* dark and gritty. Case in point, in Goblet,
Cedric dies.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:01 PM   #10
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I have read all the books and seen the movie. I read the books a couple of years ago, so I only vaguely remember them. I thought they were OK, not as good as Tolkien. But if they encourage kids to read, then I think Harry Potter is great. I didn't even remember
Cedric dies.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:50 AM   #11
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

well, they weren't as good as tolkien, but they were very good. I liked them.

How do you do this grey line?
Old 09-21-2002, 02:30 PM   #12
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Oh come on, don't even bother comparing Potter to LOTR just because they're both fantasy. That's like trying to place Sherlock Holmes next to Encyclopedia Brown.

Not the best analogy there, admittedly. Why? Because I think Harry Potter is the greatest revival of children's fantasy since Baum's Oz. At times, its whimsy emulates Roald Dahl and Lewis Carroll. It's not only a thoroughly engaging story that pulled me in so deep I couldn't put any given volume down until two in the morning, it's also cleverly and delightfully written with adorably charming prose that tickled me, and emotionally involving enough to chill me.

I firmly believe that J.K. Rowling is going to be remembered fifty to a hundred years from now as the tentpole children's author of this generation.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 10:15 PM   #13
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti
Elven Warrior

How can you compare Harry Potter to Tolkien at all? It's not even close. First off, the Potter stories are for children, thus, they are rather simple. Tolkien's writings have such depth. There's no comparison in my mind.

"Vires decusque."
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 02:45 PM   #14
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

The difference is not in depth or quality - that's subjective. At a glance, Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea is "rather simple", but a lot of scholars seem to love analyzing it to death.

What is a clear difference between Harry Potter and Tolkien that makes them incomparable is their entire intent and register. You shouldn't compare the two for the same reason it's utterly futile to place Lewis Carroll and Charles Dickens side by side. I say that all such comparisons are bunk.

And: the intent of literature for children does not necessarily make it "simple". Easy to read on the surface, perhaps, but depth is not merely inherent in the text; rather, it is largely dependent on the perceptions of the reader.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 11:05 PM   #15
TinuvielChild
Padawan

I have heard Harry Potter referred to as "LotR on training wheels". Perhaps this is an accurate description, perhaps not. It all depends on your point of view. I used to think HP was a good series, nothing special, then I started reading fanfics. Now, I will not read LotR fanfics for love nor money, because that's absolutely sacrilegious, to think that one could change history. HP is a tad more flexible on that count for a few reasons:

-It's not finished
-It's much more a fantasy story, whereas LotR feels more like history
-the characters are much more childlike and fun to work with

So, now I love HP because of fanfics and because I don't try to compare it to LotR. If you think of it as a different genre from LotR, it becomes easier not to compare the two, to merely think of them as equally great stories of a different type, the way Irish music is different from Bach or Beethoven, the way ballet is different from jazz or tap.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 12:47 AM   #16
Human#3.141592653
Elven Warrior

That's a lot of sensatioalism (sp?? ) going on around that book. It can stand on it's own two feet (if it had them,) but please...
IT'S NOT THAT GREAT!
Just calm down folks...
Take a breather...
Human#3.141592653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 01:33 PM   #17
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

It's marketed at children, so to me it seems sort of ....well..... childish. There's nothing wrong with children and teenagers reading it. I even know a few grandparent-aged people who love Harry, but it's definitely not for me. By the way, I did read the first book and didn't like it, so you can't blame me for not trying.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 02:42 PM   #18
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I've read only the first book and I thought it really was a children's book. It wasn't bad but I can't say I was over the moon by it either. The hype's a bit overrated in my view. My sister hates HP with a vengence. She calls it 'Harry Rotter'.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:21 PM   #19
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

I like Harry Potter... not nearly as much as LotR... they're not even comparable... but it's a good story nonetheless and one of the only 'newer' books/series I like... I stick more to Dickens, Tolkien, Mary Stewart, and so many other 'older' authors that I won't bore you by mentioning them. So, maybe the fact that I actually liked a 'newer' book made me like it more... I don't know... I'm in a rambling kind of mood.
Old 09-26-2002, 04:52 PM   #20
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I'm much more into older (as in old-fashioned) authors too, but JK Rowling's my favourite living writer, maybe because Harry Potter's quite traditional (though not unoriginal).
Since the most recent book was quite dark, and they're reported to be getting darker, the series doesn't look like it will be for children much longer.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote