Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-12-2008, 04:18 AM   #1
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
Harry Potter Competition

Read this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/ne...00/7340467.stm
So what do you think?
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
inked
Elf Lord

Interesting. Rules are rules and to make it as fair as possible to the whole reading public, only those eligible should compete. Think of it as the TriBardic Tournament with an age circle...................
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
inked
Elf Lord

Speaking of rules.......

What's your take on JKR's suit re: copyright violations alleged?

Orson Scott Card has a very informative and interesting take on the matter, if you are interested.

See: http://greensboro.rhinotimes.com/Art...on_and_Oz.html
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
It won't matter about the competition though as, JKRowling is publishing the book anyway.
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
Speaking of rules.......

What's your take on JKR's suit re: copyright violations alleged?

Orson Scott Card has a very informative and interesting take on the matter, if you are interested.

See: http://greensboro.rhinotimes.com/Art...on_and_Oz.html
Inked, another great link.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Although I like Orson Scott Card very much, and I generally find his opinions to be spot-on.... I'm not sure I'm 100% with him on this one. I think some of what he says in that article is right on, but I felt that he took it waaaaaay too far.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
Although I like Orson Scott Card very much, and I generally find his opinions to be spot-on.... I'm not sure I'm 100% with him on this one. I think some of what he says in that article is right on, but I felt that he took it waaaaaay too far.
Too far how? That there was no copyright infringement, or that Ms Rowling has changed her positions as she's become more successful?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote