Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #21
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

So totally upset HBP being moved to the summer. Atleast Twilight comes out earlier. Its not so much that i am upset about it being moved later, just the fact about all the things that they are changing.
And many miles be still to go,
But under a tree I will lie,
And let the clouds go sailing by.

twitter
shesabrandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:17 AM   #22
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

So who's making the next movie? I think half of the movies so far have been *cough* interesting And I don't like that they keep changing directors. Why can't they just stick to one
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:37 AM   #23
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Oh, they are. Yates is doing the next film and the last two after that. I am extremely disappointed, you know, after what he did to the Order. I wish the director who filmed the third movie (prisoner of azkaban), would direct again, the third was my favorite movie...so far.

twitter
Old 09-20-2008, 09:44 AM   #24
Coffeehouse

My expectations for the last two movies is zero There's too little 'flow' from the first movie till the latest. Doesn't feel convincing at all. For example the way they have been changing how Hogwarts looks. Makes it weird.
The worst part of it are all the cool parts of the book that have been reduced to nothing. Like all the subplots inside Hogwarts castle. Shudd be more dark, unknown pathways and late nights in the library

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 09-20-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #25
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

exactly! and whatever happened to Peeves? He is awesome. Or the kitchens?!

twitter
Old 09-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #26
Coffeehouse

They shouldn't have left out so much Quidditch tho. Quidditch rox.

The movie have become a bit too Hollywoodish I think.. they've cut down on the dialogue that makes it interesting and upped some of the action scenes, which then appear more hollow when there's no real message conveyed in the movies. Easy trap to fall into but I thought JK Rawling would have acted on that.. but apparently not
Old 09-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #27
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

I know, i wish that she would have. She has the priviledge to be on set, and shes letting them ruin the movies. Tolkien didnt have that oppertunity!

There is going to be Quidditch in HPB, finally we get to see Ron play. Too bad they didnt show that he made the team and Harry became captain. Hopefully we will get to hear some 'Weasley is Our King'!

twitter
Old 09-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #28
Coffeehouse

That chant is so strange. Rawling is an oddball

I shudd read up on the books again tho. Already I'm starting to forget the book seven plot. I like book three tho. It's the coolest storyline! When did Umbridge come anyways? Was that book five?
Old 09-20-2008, 11:33 AM   #29
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

But I think Rowlings made the original error about focus. I was SOOO interested in the day to day, and Quiddich, and the campaign againat house elf slavery...and she drops anything to get onto her new idea. It's no wonder the movie directors get all ADD. Like...why change Flitwick's appearence? I mean, suck it up and dress him as he was in the last movie. You have bigger problems to solve.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #30
katya
Elven Maiden

I don't care at all about Quiddich or house elves. Continuity is important to me though. I haven't seen all the movies but if I watch them closely and find things changed it'll disturb me.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #31
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

When I watch the movies, I am either in 'movie mode' or 'extreme scrutinizing mode'. i dont understand why they changed the appearence of the Tom, the inn keeper of the Leaky Couldron. And how did prof. flitwick become a choral teacher all of a sudden?

Rowling does seem to drop a lot of things, but they all seem to tie together in some sort. I love going back and reading the books and picking up things that seemed like nothing then and then reading another book and it has some kid of meaning. For example, in the half blood prince, harry has to hide prince's potions book. he goes to the room of requirement and hides it somewhere (i dont remember exactly where in the room), then she mentions seeing a tiara. and ta da! HUGE prop in the seventh book. not saying what if you havent read it yet, but if you have, its funny how she does those things, i love it.

twitter
Old 09-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #32
Coffeehouse

I think that's one of the reasons I enjoy her writing. She'll put in a detail, sometimes making a big point of it, and right then and there when the reader is reading it they don't understand its significance, and forget about it, and then much later like you said brandybuck, it pops up and it's all "aaaah!" Gotta love that, cuz that's a rare trait among authors to do it again and again without it looking unatural.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:55 PM   #33
katya
Elven Maiden

It just shows how much she thought the plot out ahead of time, which is generally a nice thing to do. That or she just went, "Oh, let's put a tiara in here. I'll find a use for it later and pretend like I knew it all along," which is also rather clever.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #34
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

lol, i never thought of it like that. it was the same thing with the locket in the order (book, of course), when they are cleaning out Sirius' place, and Harry finds this locket that mysteriously no one can open. it becomes of great importance in the sixth book, and of course, Yates doesnt even want to mention it in the fith movie.

twitter
Old 09-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #35
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

I was a little annoyed with the HBP move, but oh well.

I agree that one of the main problems with the film is that there is so little flow, I think within each film and within the series.

I also think they've cut down way too far on dialogue and character development in favor of action. And in the same manner, they've cut out little subplots and characters that end up being important or playing some sort of role later on, and it seems like it will be hard to reincorporate them. For example, I think Dobby appeared only in the Chamber of Secrets movie, but he pops up again in Goblet, Phoenix, and Hallows. They've reattributed the semi-important things he does in Goblet and Phoenix, but there is NO WAY they will be able to do the same for the Hallows film!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #36
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

OMG I KNOW! Dobby was so so so so so so so impt in Hallows! I wonder how Yates will figure that one out...

I was extremely disappointed that Winky wasnt in the fourth book and for all we know, Ludo Bagman doesnt even exist! Some things just really irk me.

I read that they might take the Bill/Fleur & Lupin/Tonks relationships out competely. Then again, its just a rumor that I read, and I am not completely sure. I would be devestated if that were the case. Both relationships have major impacts in Hallows, and I think Yates would be making a grave mistake not to incoorperate them.

I dont see why they are splitting the last film into two parts. Why put so much effort to make the movie perfect now instead of them all? No one is going to know what they are talking about (as far as movie-goers go). I asked my friends who just watch the movies and they said that they were lost in film five. Yes, I appriciate the effort they are going through to make the DH perfect, I just dont understand why they stopped after film two.

twitter
Old 09-22-2008, 09:22 PM   #37
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesabrandybuck View Post
I dont see why they are splitting the last film into two parts. Why put so much effort to make the movie perfect now instead of them all? No one is going to know what they are talking about (as far as movie-goers go). I asked my friends who just watch the movies and they said that they were lost in film five. Yes, I appriciate the effort they are going through to make the DH perfect, I just dont understand why they stopped after film two.
A) I think splitting the final film in two, they're clearly hoping to make more profit and prolong the success of the franchise, as well as appear to and hopefully actually appease and please the fans.

B) I read this from producer David Heyman the other day (emphasis mine):

DAVID HEYMAN: They will be very faithful to the book. On of the pleasures of having the time to make two films means we will be able to go into more detail than we might otherwise have been able to do. If we had only done one film we were concerned that we might have to remove The Deathly Hallows. We never went that far but that would have been something that might have had to come out, which would have been terrible! The script is coming along well; I have read the first half of the adaptation. I have not read the second half, that should be coming in the next few weeks.

C) That would be ludicrous!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #38
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

O__O that would be terrible! I would probably have a heart attack if they took the Hallows out.

twitter
Old 09-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #39
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
I think that's one of the reasons I enjoy her writing. She'll put in a detail, sometimes making a big point of it, and right then and there when the reader is reading it they don't understand its significance, and forget about it, and then much later like you said brandybuck, it pops up and it's all "aaaah!" Gotta love that, cuz that's a rare trait among authors to do it again and again without it looking unatural.
It looks completely unnatural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
It just shows how much she thought the plot out ahead of time, which is generally a nice thing to do. That or she just went, "Oh, let's put a tiara in here. I'll find a use for it later and pretend like I knew it all along," which is also rather clever.
Clever? It's offensive and annoying.

One of my favorite authors when I was younger was Robert Heinlein. He wrote a number of stories about how the first man went to the moon... because he was a hack...it hadn't happened and stories about it were popular. As he got older, some of his books proved popular, so he wrote sequels and prequels, and so forth.

By the time he was really older and a giant in the field, etc., he strated to write crossover books. Eventually, he had a tangled web of every character he'd ever written (as well as the ones other people had written that he liked), with a lame explanation of how that was done. Really, it was all masturbation. I didn't enjoy being brought in to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberry1 View Post
A) I think splitting the final film in two, they're clearly hoping to make more profit and prolong the success of the franchise, as well as appear to and hopefully actually appease and please the fans.

B) I read this from producer David Heyman the other day (emphasis mine):

DAVID HEYMAN: They will be very faithful to the book. On of the pleasures of having the time to make two films means we will be able to go into more detail than we might otherwise have been able to do. If we had only done one film we were concerned that we might have to remove The Deathly Hallows. We never went that far but that would have been something that might have had to come out, which would have been terrible! The script is coming along well; I have read the first half of the adaptation. I have not read the second half, that should be coming in the next few weeks.

C) That would be ludicrous!
I love that the producer makes this plan BEFORE script. yup, that's all about the money.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #40
katya
Elven Maiden

I was joking, sis.