Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Whats your opinion on the movies??

I was just wondering what you think of the movies compared to the books. I am a complete Potter fanatic (not afraid to admit it), and I use to really love to watch the movies, but now I really can't stand them. After what David Yates did to the fifth movie, it completely turns me off to them [movies].

OotP, was, in my opinion, one of the most important books out of the series. Thats probably why it was one of the longest books aswell. When Yates wanted to make it the shortest Potter movie, I couldn't believe it. The book contains so much information, and it doesnt even cross the movies. So many scenes just made me so mad. I could go on and on about all of the scenes that did make me mad, but that would be a pretty long list.

I just want to know your opinion, if you read the books, or not.
And many miles be still to go,
But under a tree I will lie,
And let the clouds go sailing by.

twitter
shesabrandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Mari
Elf Lady

I liked the first movie very much. It was close to the book, with Hermoine still having frizzy hair and the kids still walking around in robes most of the time. But then they switched directors, Hermoines hair got styled and they were walking around without robes.
True, I was impressed by how they showed some effects, but the magic was lost a little bit.
I absolutely hated the 5th book, or better said, I hated the whiny Harry and the way the story was told. It got quite confusing too, but in the movies they left out some parts, making the story much clearer. But this one too had lost some of the magic of the first one.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Hated the fifth book!! Wow, I thought it was great. But I completely agree about Harry, I couldnt stand him the whole way through. I thought the fifth book was kind of confusing, but not really. I believe it to be the 'information book' for lack of a better word. It gave you anwsers and everything else. In the movies, they left out so many things, I thought it was awful. Espcially the with the whole
voldy and dumbledore (I almost said gandalf haha) fight scene, that was just the worst
. I just think that Yates really destroyed it, and am ashamed that he is filming the next movie.

I really wish that they wouldnt make Hermione so pretty, because in the books she is suppose to be like hideous.

twitter
Old 04-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I've been a fan of the books for years.

1st: My fav of the movies. It moves a little slower than the rest, and there are a few changes that I dislike. Enjoyable, not great.

2nd: Fun to watch, except for the annoying parts. Dobby was pretty good, and I like how they handled the story.

3rd: My least fav. I liked how they showed the time traveling, but that's about it. I especially disliked how they turned Malfoy into such a wimp. They made changes to make the movie more appealing to those who have not read the books (stupid jokes, Hermione girly), but made changes to the storyline so that those who haven't read the books can't follow the plot.

4th: My fav book, so I liked the movie for this reason. I think as a movie it wasn't very good. Finally Daniel Radcliff starts acting. Wish it was longer.

5th: My least fav book, so I didn't like it as much as I might have. DA, Luna, and Bellatrix well done.

I own all of the movies, and do actually watch them, so they don't annoy me as much as I think they do.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesabrandybuck View Post
Espcially the with the whole [spoiler]

I really wish that they wouldnt make Hermione so pretty, because in the books she is suppose to be like hideous.
I agree about that scene, actually the whole Department of M was messed up.

I think Herminone being pretty is fine. First of all, there is not much they can do, and Emma Watson does a pretty good job with the role. Second, I never got the idea that Herminone was ugly from the book. Obviously, the Slytherans thought so, and she was no beauty queen anyway. I do think that she has become a little annoying ("is that really what my hair looks like from the back?" come on, Hermione would not be worried about that just then, they could've just had her step on a twig) I wish they would start wearing their robes again, they can leave out the skirts and ties however.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
Old 04-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

I own all of the movies aswell (I know all the lines, dirty habbit of mine), and I enjoy watching only some. I have to say though, the third one is my favorite movie, I thought it was really great. Except how they left out everything behind the Mauders Map, I really enjoyed reading that.

I was really upset with how my favorite part of OotP was only like two minutes long

twitter
Old 04-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkienfan View Post
I agree about that scene, actually the whole Department of M was messed up.

I think Herminone being pretty is fine. First of all, there is not much they can do, and Emma Watson does a pretty good job with the role. Second, I never got the idea that Herminone was ugly from the book. Obviously, the Slytherans thought so, and she was no beauty queen anyway. I do think that she has become a little annoying ("is that really what my hair looks like from the back?" come on, Hermione would not be worried about that just then, they could've just had her step on a twig) I wish they would start wearing their robes again, they can leave out the skirts and ties however.
Yes, I agree with you, the robes need to be used in the movies more. But Hermione, in the book, is supposed to have bushy hair and huge teeth. I guess that doesnt mean hideous, but not exactly beautiful either.

twitter
Old 04-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

And Harry should have green eyes!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:15 PM   #9
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Yes!!! That is so important in the seventh book!

twitter
Old 04-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

I'm a huge fan of the Harry Potter books as well (not as much as I am of Tolkien perhaps, but I still love them).

To be honest, I think they did a good job with the movies, especially compared to how PJ slaughtered the LotR movies. There are no huge differences between the books and the movies (although certain things are cut) and with JKR advising, they're sticking nicely to the theme and the plots.

I like the 3rd and 4th movies best, although I didn't think the 5th one was that bad either.

~The Lay of Leithian
Curufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #11
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

I think that the movies are horrible interpretations of the book. I enjoy the LotR movies over the HP ones.

twitter
Old 04-08-2008, 04:42 AM   #12
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

LOL, we certainly disagree on that one!

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 04-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #13
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

I do enjoy watching them, until they make me really mad...
And atleast the cast of LotR had some good acting. Orlando had AWFUL lines though.

I am reading the Deathly Hallows again, and I heard that they were splitting that into two movies, is that true?

twitter
Old 04-08-2008, 06:17 PM   #14
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

I've heard they were. I don't know how I feel about that.

As for the acting, I think the Harry Potter actors are starting to come into their roles. They're young, after all.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 04-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #15
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Very true, their acting is really improving. I dont know how they are going to do that either if they do. I wonder how that will work out..

twitter
Old 04-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #16
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Well, people kept coming back for LotR, but I don't know if kids are going to want the movie breaking up in the middle - especially if they're released a long time apart.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 04-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #17
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Sounds ridiculous to me..
I thought that they ruined the fifth movie, explain to me why you thought it was good, and maybe I will understand and enjoy it more...

twitter
Old 04-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #18
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Oh, I'm not saying it's the best movie ever or anything.

Just that I enjoyed it.

I think that probably had to do most with the fact that I loved the book, though. Then again, I love Tolkien and hate the movies, so maybe that has nothing to do with it at all.

The things I liked about it (and remember, I've only seen it once)

Bellatrix. I really like Helena Bonham Carter in this role. She's a fantastic actress and I like her Bellatrix a lot.

Umbridge. I thought she was great. Girly and evil at the same time, just like in the book, and with all her kittens.

Luna. I loved Luna. Just like I imagined her in the book.

The thing that bothered me the most is that I thought Sirius's death should have been, well, 'bigger.' But I guess it wasn't really 'big' in the book, either.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 04-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #19
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Bellatrix was wonderful, and so was Luna, after everyone saw the movie, they all decided to call me Luna. haha.

I thought that Sirius's death sequence was awful. Misinterpreted, in my opinion, because in the books, it didnt necessarily say that he was 'dead' just that he disappeared behind the veil. In the movie it showed that Bellatrix hit him with the killing curse and ran away boasting about it.

Another scene was the Voldy dueling Dumbledore one. In the books they had a very important discussion before the duel, it didnt happen at all in the movies, just them talking throughout the whole thing. And also the end with Dumbledore talking to Harry, that was also important.

I was very sad about Harry seeing Snapes memory about his dad and everyone as a teenager, that was my favorite part in the book (I dont know why but James is one of my favorite characters...), and in the movie it was all of two minutes long. I dont blame them for that though, because it wasnt all that important in move reckoning, in the books it was.

twitter
Old 09-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #20
katya
Elven Maiden

I hadn't seen any of the movies until just a couple days ago. Goblet of Fire was on TV so I watched it and then downloaded OotP right away and watched that too. I really enjoyed them, but I hadn't read the books since last summer so maybe that has something to do with it.

Link! I totally agree with you about the "Snapes Worst Memory" scene. I thought it was big because it gets really important later. It's one of my favorite scenes too.

I hated Umbridge but I guess that's what she's for (she was perfect). Still, she's so infuriating that she kind of ruins the book and the movie somewhat. The end is worth it though.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote