Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-06-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

News thread - J.K. Rowling

LONDON - From Associated Press
July 06, 2006 8:15 AM EDT
Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling received an honorary doctorate on Thursday in recognition of the help she has given researchers into multiple sclerosis.

Rowling, whose mother died of the wasting disease of the nervous system, was awarded a Doctorate of Laws by Aberdeen University in Scotland.

The writer of best-selling tales about a young wizard is president of the Multiple Sclerosis Society Scotland and has donated substantial sums to Aberdeen University's Institute of Medical Sciences for its research into the illness.

"J.K. Rowling is best known because of a book that she wrote in a cafe in Edinburgh which has made her a household name," Neva Haites, head of the university's College of Life Sciences and Medicine, told the award ceremony at Aberdeen's Marischal College.

"However, what is less well known is Ms. Rowling's significant contribution to many charitable causes."

Haites said Rowling had taken on leadership of the MS Society Scotland after discovering "what she called 'the appallingly poor quality of care available to people with multiple sclerosis in Scotland'."

"She is an example of a Scottish leader who has used her reputation and wealth to support the battle for improving human health and for fighting human disease," Haites said.

Dressed in a dark suit, Rowling smiled to acknowledge the audience's applause as the received the honor.

"I am thrilled ... It is very exciting," she told reporters afterward.

Rowling already has honorary degrees for her services to literature from the Scottish universities of St. Andrews, Edinburgh and Napier.

Her mother, Anne, died of multiple sclerosis as the age of 45 in 1990.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

is this anything to do with harry potter, or is it just JK?
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

....sigh..... if you READ the thread title, it has to do with news about JKR, who wrote HP and so belongs in this section.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
jammi567

*sacastic*ohhhhhhhhhhh, sor-ry mister know it all guy. sorry for asking a simple question.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

JK Rowling has her own official site now

http://www.jkrowling.com/

This site has lots of great information right from the authors pen.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #6
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

..er... Jammi ... i was tempted to write that (wot spock said - just to be clear here) myself!

no offence, but it is pretty clear

but i'll give ya a top 9.7 for acceleration to anger .... almost as good as me on the rare occasion

best, BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 07-06-2006 at 05:59 PM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #7
jammi567

only checking. *goes off this thread in a moody sulk*

Old 07-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #8
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

ahhh come back ... you'll enjoy it !
Old 07-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #9
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

fortelling for book 7

J.K. Rowling has revealed that in the 7th and final Harry Potter story, 2 characters are set to die.On the Richard and Judy show yesterday, she also revealed, that she had actually written the final chapter, of the final book back in 1990.

"One character had a reprieve, but i have to say that two die, that i didn't intend to die" she said.

But she is being carefull not to reveal, who those characters are.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5119836.stm
Old 07-06-2006, 06:06 PM   #10
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

interesting.

what's your guess as to which two?

Last edited by Butterbeer : 07-06-2006 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:14 PM   #11
jammi567

*comes back reluctantly*. there is this theory that she is following an alchimal process, and you can view this article here. for those who can't be bothered to read it, it's predicting that Hagrid will die next. the other person who i think'll die is, of course, voldemort.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:24 PM   #12
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

not harry then?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #13
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Most interesting as I was thinking Hagrid but couldn't give myself a reason why I felt that way, especially since his giant blood protects him from so many jinx and spells.

Volde is a given and JKR specifically said "two die that I didn't intend to die" which leaves him out completely.
I'm really in the dark on this
Old 07-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #14
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

is it just me or would Hagrid dying have the most emotional response do you think?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:46 PM   #15
jammi567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Most interesting as I was thinking Hagrid but couldn't give myself a reason why I felt that way, especially since his giant blood protects him from so many jinx and spells.

Volde is a given and JKR specifically said "two die that I didn't intend to die" which leaves him out completely.
I'm really in the dark on this
maybe he dies by non-magical means. why does that quote mean that hagrid is left out? afterall, she could mean any two characters, for example, ron and hermione.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:41 PM   #16
azalea
Long lost mooter

IOW, if we accept that Hagrid was meant to die all along, and then two are dying whom she didn't intend to die, then one of them can't be Hagrid. But then if someone got a reprieve, then maybe she's changed her mind about Hagrid dying, but only IF we are right about his being marked for death in the first place! Basically, there will be at least 3 deaths in book 7. I don't know how many of those will be MAIN characters, though.

I do think Hagrid's death would have the potential for the most emotional response, for these reasons:
He was the first magical person Harry came to know at the start of his adventures (obviously he had met some as a baby, and then there were the random wizards he'd meet on the street, but he didn't KNOW them).
He has been an intimate protector of Harry, and represents a kind of physical protector the way Dumbledore represented a magical one.
He's a great, lovable character, and readers are very fond of him.

However, it could be that after Sirius' death, and then the MAJOR shock of Dumbledore's, that people will be braced for it, since they already know there will be deaths, and after Dumbledore, anyone is possible it seems.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:59 PM   #17
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

i fear i must quit this thread ... i have not read yet the last book .... dumbledore dies?????

well, there goes the emotional response to that one!

*edit*** ... ah well - don't worry about it!

just one o' them things i guess!

best, BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 07-12-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #18
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by azalea
......However, it could be that after Sirius' death, and then the MAJOR shock of Dumbledore's, that people will be braced for it, since they already know there will be deaths, and after Dumbledore, anyone is possible it seems.

I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to whose death may be coming, because I agree that anyone is possible. Sometimes her hints drive me mad and I wish she wouldn't say anything at all - just keep writing as fast as she can. Not being a writer, it's hard for me to understand how 2 can die that she didn't intend to die. I suppose it's for some kind of plot consistency, but she's in charge of the plot. Ah well, we'll know soon enough and then it will all be over. However, if she kills off popular characters in the book, will we even be interested in seeing the movie of that book? Not sure I would want to see it.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:31 PM   #19
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
i fear i must quit this thread ... i have not read yet the last book .... dumbledore dies?????

well, there goes the emotional response to that one!

*edit*** ... ah well - don't worry about it!

just one o' them things i guess!

best, BB
Don't worry, even being forewarned, it's still going to have an emotional impact. Having read it twice, it wasn't much easier the second time.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:23 AM   #20
azalea
Long lost mooter

Sorry to have let out a spoiler -- I just assumed that since it came out a year ago everyone here had read it -- oops!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote