Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-21-2004, 08:36 PM   #21
Gulio, Strength of Many
Lover of all things orange and cheesy

Quote:
Originally posted by sirigorn
I wish that Sirius hadn't been killed, but you know, I would be soooo disappointed if Harry found a way to contact him. Unless he dies and there's this scene up in heaven,
How do you know he's in Heaven?

I think it'd really suck if Sirius came back. Bleargh, the thought maketh me sick. I read in the newspaper a while ago that JKR cried for a week after writing that chapter, but wouldn't even tell her husband what was wrong (). I don't think she'd do that if she were going to bring him back. And that would suck if she did, too

It was like the Manifest Destiny all over again, except, instead of taking and consuming everything in their paths for God, they did so with the same fervor and sense of entitlement for their new god... themselves.

If you want to know more about Jesus, have a prayer need, or want to talk about anything, PM me.
Gulio, Strength of Many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 03:39 PM   #22
Elessar the Elfstone
Enting

i've just read the link from Fimbrethil further up the page and it also says that there was a reason for Sirius's death so somethings got to happen to do with him the the next two books has'nt it?
Elessar the Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 06:50 PM   #23
Elf Girl
Lurker

Er... no... couldn't the reason just be something like giving Harry a taste of what life might be like as an Auror, or helping him grow up, or something like that?
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:06 AM   #24
Sono
Hobbit

I wish that Sirius hadn't been killed. I was realy sad as I read that chapter
I will be happy if he return, but I don't belive that...
He's gone, I think....

I must say, its very difficuld to understand the postings at this page! At school we never learn this words! And I must know. I'm the besst student in my english class...
But I try

Wenn Sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf. Genauer gesagt, auf der schmalen Linie zwischen Wahnsinn und Panik. Gleich um die Ecke von Todesangst nicht weit von Irrwitz und Idiotie.
Sono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:51 PM   #25
Gulio, Strength of Many
Lover of all things orange and cheesy

*Does happy dance* He's gone! Gone gone gone! Oh... right. Boo hoo, and all that. *Puts on flame-proof suit*

It was like the Manifest Destiny all over again, except, instead of taking and consuming everything in their paths for God, they did so with the same fervor and sense of entitlement for their new god... themselves.

If you want to know more about Jesus, have a prayer need, or want to talk about anything, PM me.
Gulio, Strength of Many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 05:38 PM   #26
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Oh, pooh on you.

I was really sad he was gone--he was one of my favorite characters, along with Remus--but really I'm sad he went because he was such a link for Harry to his father, and the past and all. Remus is too, but Sirius seems more compelling--as a bit of a bad boy, flying motorbikes and the prankster best friend of his father--and that loss is (as much as I HATE the phrase) a huge character-building moment. (Uck. Got that outta the way.)

On the other hand...there have been some mentions that Sirius coming back would make his death "cheap." I dunno...it was sort of cheap to begin with. Okay--not cheap (ducks flames), but very, very....hmm. Hard to say. Just that it was shocking, but not because he died--because of the way he died. I read it, stopped, went, "hold on, what just happened?" It seemed very fast and unrealistic. Falling through a veil? What does that mean, anyway?
I guess the only thing I mean by that is that I wouldn't be suprised if Sirius "came back" somehow...or communicated somehow. Because his death hardly felt like "dying"--it didn't feel very real--I can see how he might be able to not actually be DEAD-dead.

(EG--Necromancy doesn't have to be cheap. Off-topic entirely, have you read Garth Nix?)

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 10:05 PM   #27
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yep, you're right Tano! His so called "death" was cheap! Not THAT sacred!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 11:33 AM   #28
Elessar the Elfstone
Enting

finally someone believes he may not be 100% dead and that it may be possible for him to come back!!!!! and I also agree his so called death was cheap!

Last edited by Elessar the Elfstone : 07-15-2004 at 11:35 AM.
Elessar the Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 01:37 PM   #29
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

I think that perhaps the way Sirius died was done in that way to show Harry how easy it is to lose people. Like, a lesson in how the war is real, and dangerous, and people die. In war people are just killed. One minute they're there and the next they're not. In school Harry and the others have been relatively safe. This will show how it can happen to anyone.

And Sirius is gone everyone. Let him RIP.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 03:56 PM   #30
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

True, EXK....but I still think it was just a little too clean, if you know what I mean. Hmm. We'll see. (Argh, wish I knew now though!)

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:07 AM   #31
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

I was very nearly very angry with JKR for killing off Sirius. But, I got over it... sort of. And, I have to say, though I would be pleasantly surprised and I would probably *squee* with delight when it happened, I don't want him to come back.

It would just make it too fantasy, y'know? For me, the best part of fantasy is what links it to reality and yourself. Death is how JKR makes HP real, not fake. The death of Sirius helps to bring the story home and equalize it with out world; it allows us to touch the HP world and feel as if it could be real.

So... I wouldn't mind her bringing him back, and I certainly wouldn't complain. But, I don't believe, in any way, that it should be done.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:53 AM   #32
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

It doesn't feel like Sirius is dead in the strongest sense of the word. As far as I remember, there was the battle scene and he got hit with an unspecified curse and fell through the veil in a sort of literary slow motion and all that was said after that was that he was 'gone' and that the mirror didn't work. We know nothing about what was behind the veil, what sort of curse he got hit with or anything, all we know he that he fell and is presumed dead. We have nothing but the characters words to confirm that presumption and the author, the only person who knows for sure, isn't telling, and is known for throwing in surprising plot twists. I'm not considering any character in these books to be dead until either their ghost, or their corpse has been described to us in full.

As for characters not dieing in full being cheap, would you call Gandalf's 'death' a cheap trick? Glorfindel's? Wesley's, in the 'Princess Bride'? Aslan's?
It's an old trick certainly, but I wouldn't call it cheap.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 11:11 AM   #33
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Sirus Dead

Well Dumbledore did tell Harry that "he cannot come back" and indicated that the doorway was one way ..sort of a portal to lost souls. If "D" says he can't come back, I'd tend to believe him.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:02 PM   #34
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I don't think he's totally gone. He'll find some way to return, even if it is only for a few minutes. The mirror is still a bit of a mystery, and the veil....

I think that killing him off was a good move, as it was a death that affected Harry in a great way. Killing off another less-signifigant character wouldn't have had the same impact. It means that Harry has more hatred towards Voldy and the Death Eaters.

I don't think that we can say that there is absolutly no way that he's returning, because there has been too many questions about his death left uncovered.
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 09:33 AM   #35
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Gee you are very optimistic considering that nothing like this has happened in the world of H.P.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:42 PM   #36
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Call it my 'being-forced-out-of-a-pessimistic-view-on-life' phase.
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:33 PM   #37
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

:lol:
Old 09-09-2004, 08:50 PM   #38
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
I cna honestly say that I'm disappointed this thread is still in disscusion. JKR made Dumbldore say that Sirius was gone. His death wasn't cheap...but now I think it should have been suspected. He's not going to return JKr has basically told us that he's not. As I've said in other threads just reread the book. Everything we need to kow for the other books are staring us in the face. It just takes the right kind of mind to see them.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:27 AM   #39
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Indeed!
Old 09-11-2004, 04:49 PM   #40
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Are you agreeing with me?
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote