Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-28-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
Elessar the Elfstone
Enting

Will Sirius Return

I was wondering would it be possible for Sirius to return, his body was never seen was it?

Mabye he would return as a dog, James returned as harry's patronus as a stag didn't he

What do you think?

I'm reserving judgment on if he is or not but I thought it would be intreasting to see what everyone thought

Last edited by Elessar the Elfstone : 07-08-2004 at 02:29 PM.
Elessar the Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:58 PM   #2
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Hmmm... Unfortunately, I don't reckon Sirius will return in the next 2 books. Rowling specifically mentioned in the 5th book he won't return, and I can't really see how would he.
But I'm not sure - Rowling made some surprises already.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 03:56 PM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I don't think he will out and out return, but I wonder if Harry might be able to access him in some form, or perhaps learn that Sirius is on some other level of consciousness, and then be relieved of some of his sadness. I could do with a nice subplot about ghosts!
Old 05-29-2004, 10:12 PM   #4
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
DOES ANYONE ON THIS THREAD REMEMBER THE STUPID MIRRIOR????????!!!!!!!!! I can't remember if anyone else has said it but I know I have on numerous occasions and no one knows what the bloody hell I'm talking about! Here is a link read it and pay close attention to anything about a mirrior. http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/JK...okDay2004.html

Now...the only question left to be answered is how does the mirrior come into play? It could have been on Sirius when he died and therefore give Harry a "link" to the afterlife. Or Harry could find it and then he and Ron or whoever would do lots of mischief...but I don't think that's it.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 10:22 PM   #5
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Oh Fimbre...... Please calm down dear! I do remember the mirror! (now that you mention it) And now that I read the link...I can't wait! I assume "Oooh, good question" means the mirror will be of some use. Yea!

Oh...Surely Sirius had the mirror tucked away in a pocket when he fell. Hermoine will probably figure out what the mirror is, and how to use it. I don't remember exactly what Harry did with it. Didn't he toss it?

Last edited by Lizra : 05-29-2004 at 10:39 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 08:44 AM   #6
Elf Girl
Lurker

Oh, I really hope Sirius doesn't come back and Harry can't talk to him. That would be so cheap. Ugh. If she wants to put death in the books, she should actually put it in, not throw a little in for thrills and then erase it.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 09:45 AM   #7
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Cheap! You crack me up EG! (Now I can be lazy and type you EG, since Eruvial Greenleaf has morphed into a Miss Magpie ) Maybe when they finally get the mirror to work, there will be a litlle moving wizard picture saying "I'm sorry, this reflection has been disconnected" )
Old 05-30-2004, 10:08 AM   #8
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

I agree with Elf Girl here. Remember, Harry did try to use the mirror after Sirius died, but it didn't work. So JKR said that it'll appear again. Maybe he didn't have it with him when he died, and then someone finds it at 12 Grimmauld Place, and gives the other half to someone. I really think he won't come back, much as I want him to.
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 10:17 AM   #9
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yes...but Harry probably didn't use it "correctly"! Can't you just see the mirror appearing early on in the next book, Harry telling Hermoine and Ron what it was supposed to do (bummed and flatly depressed about the fact that he never got the chance to use it, and now it's "worthless"). Hermoine's interest is naturally piqued, she asks Harry for the mirror, he easily says "take it, take it!" After several chapters busy in the library, Hermoine returns with the mirror (in the nick of time for some intense action) and shows Harry the correct way to use the fabulous object, and Harry summons his godfather for some much needed help and guidance? Sure!
Old 05-30-2004, 11:24 AM   #10
Elf Girl
Lurker

...Hermoine? Do you mean Hermione?

But honestly, death is death. I can't stand books that trivialize it with necromancy. If Harry could talk to Sirius, what would his death be worth? Sirius's death would become just a cheap thrill to scare the readers, since Harry of course wouldn't be emotional anymore if he could still talk to him.

*wonders if that made any sense*
Old 05-30-2004, 12:00 PM   #11
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

yeah! I'll probably continue to mispell it, so don't get too annoyed with me EG.

I think it would be *good vibes* if Sirius came back...in some form or another. A nice emotional roller coaster. I like it. Why does death have to be so permanent in a wild and crazy world of ghosts, talking portraits, spirits living without bodies and talking diaries? You know.... the author's imagination is really the only limit. Think Outback Restaurant"! "No rules...Just right!" Anyway, lots of people think Sirius coming back would be "Just right!" Harry Potter in particular. I'm tired of him being such a dreary, depressed teenager anyway.

Last edited by Lizra : 05-30-2004 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:02 PM   #12
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I absolutely agree. So much emphasis was placed on Sirius' death and its effect on Harry that if all of a sudden Hermione was to come in (to take Lizra's idea ) and say "it's OK Harry, guess what, you can contact Sirius after all!" it would be a huge anticlimax, IMO. JKR has said many times that these books will tackle death and war in a realistic* way because to do anything else is like lying to her child readers. I hope for a happy ending eventually, but not one where all of the main characters have been miraculously saved from grief and death.

Also, I'm personally of the opinion that the mirror actually represents lack of communication, a theme in Book 5, and will therefore be used as a plot device in a later book as things start to get better for Harry and co. Just speculation

*as realistic as possible, I suppose, given that they're fantasy
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 12:04 PM   #13
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well, we will just have to wait and see! I hope for fun. Screw death!
Old 05-30-2004, 04:19 PM   #14
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

I wish that Sirius hadn't been killed, but you know, I would be soooo disappointed if Harry found a way to contact him. Unless he dies and there's this scene up in heaven, which I find highly unlikely. I entirely agree with sun-star, that situation would be so anticlimatic. I think there will be a major death in each of the next two books, and I'm almost sure from many hints JKR let slip that Ron will die in one of them. She wants to depict war realistically, she has to kill people. They are fighting a war, people die in wars. Well, at least I know that my fave character that hasn't died yet won't die in the 6th book, as JKR said Remus would have a big part in the 7th. He could die there, of course.

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 04:44 PM   #15
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Since we seem to have some different, yet very interesting opinions of what should happen next....it might be fun if we did *outlines* of the next book (our personal version! )

Sort of like this...

Charter I.....Mrs. Figg reveals Aunt Petunia's humiliation at being turned down by Hogwarts. Dudley gets horrible acne.

Chapter II....Hermione (sp? ) spots the mirror Sirius gave Harry while riding the Hogwarts Express. Harry gives it to her since he feels it is worthless.

Chapter III....The new Professor of Dark Arts is.....

You get the idea? They outlines wouldn't have to be totally filled in, some chapters could be "TBA". They wouldn't have to be serious either! Well, it's might be a fun little writing/ imagination exercise. Would anyone else be interested in doing this?

Last edited by Lizra : 05-30-2004 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:13 PM   #16
Fimbrethil

I think that would be a bit much, ya? There's going to be like...50 billion chapters in the next book...if we were to do that you'd have ot asign chapters for people to predict, get them posted and revised by everyone then sort of turn it into a game. Wait till the book comes out and see how much of it we got right...including the number of chapters. But then again it would be really vague stuff we would have to put in it....could work though. We'd have to get the whole thread involoved for something that massive....post links to back up some of our predictions...that kind of thing.

It made me sad when Sirius died. But, thinking about it...he was an extra character that she couldn't do anyhting with. Exxcept throw him in here and there saying "Be a good boy Harry and don't worry your parents love you." If she had kept him it would have a whole book or the better part of one to do anything that could even remotley connect him wiht the outside world where he could do somthing useful. I agree wiht sunstar. It would be nice but just not real.

I appologize for getting uppety before, but the mirrior was at the tail end of the book and it seemed odd that very few woudl forget it that fast. It did make Harry really mad. By the way I'm going to start that thread I talked about and Lizra gave me the idea for so visit it.

Old 05-30-2004, 10:27 PM   #17
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hmmm, I might do one anyway...just for fun!
Old 05-30-2004, 10:46 PM   #18
Fimbrethil

HAHA! Beat you to the punch! BLAHHAHAHAHAHAHA! Midnight suger rush....I can't help it. Hmmm...going to check my e-mails now...I'll be back later.

Old 06-19-2004, 04:31 AM   #19
AntiXZer01
Hobbit

Maybe this was already asked i dont know, in the harry potter movie Sirius Black did not die. if he died in the book, how will they pull of a still living black in the harry potter future!? and also did he die in the books???
AntiXZer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 09:24 AM   #20
Elf Girl
Lurker

Sirius died in the FIFTH book. The THIRD movie is the one that just came out. Presumably, he will die in the FIFTH movie as well.