Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-19-2004, 04:44 PM   #1
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Themes in Harry Potter

What do you think are the main themes of the Harry Potter series? Do you think there is a moral framework underlying the books? I was re-reading the end of Order of the Phoenix and I was interested by Luna and Harry's conversation about the dead beyond the veil, suggesting an after-life of some kind is part of the Potter universe. Do you think the Harry Potter books show many Christian influences?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:02 PM   #2
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I think there is a moral framework. Of course you have the classic good vs. evil theme throughout the books. I also think you have themes such as family, friends, loyalty, betrayal, death, love, life.... the list could go on for a while.

That's a good point to make about the veil. The description given to the veil certainly showed that there was something 'un-dead' about the shadows behind it. (I must re-read these books - my mind has gone blank.... ). She must have included some Christian views, but I'm not exactly well versed in the Bible, so I can't think of any good ones off the top of my head. Pretty much all the themes I wrote above are included in Christianity in some way. (Arn't they? ).

Well you have me intrigued now so later I'm going to catch up on my Harry Potter and maybe the Bible.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 05:58 PM   #3
sun-star
Lady of Letters

*Bump* with an added comment that I like JKR's choice of the veil as a metaphor for death. I found it in Tennyson the other day too, and I think it's a good one.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:31 PM   #4
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Wouldn't it be ironic if there were Christian themes? Well, ones that Jo purposely included as she wrote. I mean, the whole "Harry Potter is the devil Argh Run away!" thing. I don't think that there are intentional ones. Mostly, books like this don't really have actual themes to teach a lesson, they just are there. It's just to entertain.

However, I think the books do tell us a lot. Life, death, friends, family, knowledge...things like that.
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:26 PM   #5
inked
Elf Lord

An excellent discussion consideration. I happen to think that JK Rowling writes very much as an INKLING born out of time so to speak. And because the literature of Britain has been a Christian literature for over a millenium, there is not one whit of doubt she incorporates Christianity into her work! The question becomes how much is intentional and how much cultural?

I think she incorporates specifically Christian themes in very overt ways. Just re-read the CHAMBER OF SECRETS last couple of chapters for one example that is extremely obvious IMHO. But I think it is designed to not be obvious and very much part of her story in the ususal run of events. Then after reflection one sees the connections. (Very much as in reading TCON or LOTR one does not see all the connections on the first read.) In fact, JK Rowling herself says that the books are designed so that one cannot grasp all she intends on the first or even third read through. That's why we all enjoy them and discuss them so much.

JKR's use of Christian themes is ironic since some Christian groups have condemned her use of the magic background and incantations. But they did the same to CS Lewis and JRR Tolkein in their day. Another mark of the Inkling connection, I think.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:02 PM   #6
Vadskye
Sapling

Just remember that not all Christians oppose HP. Christian am I, yet enjoy HP I do.

(sorry if that confused you. )
Vadskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:52 PM   #7
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Good for you, Vadskye, and welcome to Entmoot Inked and I are in the same boat as you! I think it's a real pity that some Christians simply refuse to read HP.

Inked, it's interesting that you chose the Chamber of Secrets for your example - I've had debates with people in the past (not on Entmoot) because they think the sexual imagery cancels out the Christian imagery in the final few chapters. Needless to say I disagree...
Old 11-18-2004, 12:09 AM   #8
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Tons and tons of Christians love Harry Potter to death. I highly doubt that of the 62,560 members on FictionAlley, a large percentage isn't Christian. Or on other sites, FA is just the biggest. Some of my best HP friends are very religious. It's ironic how much it can change. I myself am athiest, but I used to be Christian as well.
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 06:23 PM   #9
inked
Elf Lord

Sun-Star,

You'll have to enlighten me on the alleged sexual imagery in CoS, I hadn't noticed any! If you don't mind, that is.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 11-18-2004, 06:52 PM   #10
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Don't worry guys, nutty book burning Christians are very much in the minority.

I think no one is as they appear is a big theme in Harry Potter, as well as everything has its opposite.

For this one, look at all the character foils, especially Voldemort and Dumbledore. Also, actions always have consequences. I also agree with the themes like loyalty and family that have already been mentioned.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:29 AM   #11
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Sun-Star,

You'll have to enlighten me on the alleged sexual imagery in CoS, I hadn't noticed any! If you don't mind, that is.
You don't want to know It's all stuff about snakes and chambers and swords - I'm sure you can imagine. Apparently Freud has his fair share of fans in the Harry Potter fandom.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:27 PM   #12
inked
Elf Lord

ahh, yes, Freud the proponent of cocaine who made a come-back with INTERPRETATION OF DREAMS, based on his cocaine induced vivid dreams.

I can propose a series of interpretations based on Freud's ideology but I'll just list two and you can tell me if I am on the correct tangent! Snake = penis, and cave = vagina/womb.

I'll lay you odds these are further from JK Rowling's intent than a Christian interpretation of HP ! Dollars to donuts!
Old 11-20-2004, 02:51 PM   #13
sun-star
Lady of Letters

How did you guess? Could it be that Freudian analysis is the most predictable ever?

I won't get started on the time I got a nice shiny book on The Hobbit out of the library (it was masquerading as interesting analysis) and took it on holiday with me, only to discover it was all about the significance of Bilbo going into caves with bushes in front of them...
Old 08-03-2007, 10:58 PM   #14
inked
Elf Lord

Well, many themes were in HP, including the Christian one. But what will the Freudians do now that HP is finished as a series and we had actual kissing in the major text between characters and a baby born of the union of a witch and werewolf and swords et alia?! It boggles the mind!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #15
inked
Elf Lord

Harry and Ginny!!!!! 4ever!!!!!!!

http://www.examiner.com/x-562-Book-E...terary-couples

Ah, the theme of proper romance and its proper development!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #16
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

You know what has happened to me? I have just read Harry Potter.

It has happened to me rather late in life: my son has got the first book for his eight birthday and read it in two days. Then he made me buy all the rest of the series in the space of two weeks. To my wonder I found out that he became able to read 400 pages in one evening forgoing food, sleep, and homework ...

Thrilled by my son's enthusiasm, I decided to follow suite and also read the series. And you know what? - I liked the books a lot.
I have not yet seen any of the films, though...

So, what are the major themes?

I would say that one very noticeable theme in HP is that bad guys sometimes turn good. Not only do rather unpleasant kids (like James Potter) turn much better adults without much ado, but actual Death Eaters may reconsider and genuinely turn to the light.
Why I mention this theme first is because in my much beloved Tolkien's world it almost never happens: good guys quite often turn bad, but never the opposite. Once you turned evil, there is practically no return. This is somehow strange, given the pronounced Christian strain in Tolkien books. I feel that one repented Balrog or a Black Numenorean would have been nice in there somewhere.

The theme of love and its impact on personality is also quite prominent in HP, more prominent, I think than in LOTR.
In HP we see all kinds of love starting with childish crushes on a pretty girl or an accomplished Quiddich player, to normal adult love (like between the Weasley parents), to all-consuming obsessive love like with Snape and Lily, or Beatrix ad Voldemort for that matter.

Magic in HP is distinctly different from that in LOTR, less subtle, less "realistic"... I feel that on the whole there is too much magic in HP, and it is far TOO EASY. What boggles me is that magic seemingly involves no expenditure of force: one can throw as much Avada Kedavra's in the space of a minute as one likes, without even feeling tired. I immediately remember how drained was the Maia Gandalf after having only locked one door in Moria. He had to recharge his batteries for quite some time before lighting his staff again.

Well, enough of this rant.

Last edited by Gordis : 05-14-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:52 PM   #17
inked
Elf Lord

Gordis, Welcome to the parental world and the world of HP! We've had a number of discussions over the years about HP. If you check under the search function you'll find a lot of interesting items.

Here's a good start! http://entmoot.com/showthread.php?t=...s+Harry+Potter

Great to have another Potter fan around!
Old 05-15-2009, 03:51 AM   #18
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
Magic in HP is distinctly different from that in LOTR, less subtle, less "realistic"... I feel that on the whole there is too much magic in HP, and it is far TOO EASY. What boggles me is that magic seemingly involves no expenditure of force: one can throw as much Avada Kedavra's in the space of a minute as one likes, without even feeling tired. I immediately remember how drained was the Maia Gandalf after having only locked one door in Moria. He had to recharge his batteries for quite some time before lighting his staff again.
I see it quite different. On the contrary I find particularly the spell Avada Kedavra to be very realistic.

A witch or wizard can throw as many Avada Kedavra spells in the course of a minute, yes, but it has a severe toll. Unlike magic draining Gandalf physically in the immediate aftermath, the Avada Kedavra spell drains the soul and sets the precedent in the mind (i.e. brain) of the witch or wizard to perform more dark magic with greater ease, less remorse and ultimately it perverts the physical appearance of the being.

The greatest dark wizard in HP history, Voldemort, became a nearly faceless stub of a creature, with thin, 'flaring' nostrils of a snake and great physical weakness nevermind his magical capabilities.

In this respect Voldemort has gone through the same type of process as Sauron did, but unlike Sauron, the magic used by the dark forces in the HP world are more confined and restricted. There are precise laws stating what you can't create (like food) and there is no reviving the dead and no eternal life (unless one, nearly impossibly, endures extreme mental and physical pain and a fragmentation of the soul).

I'd say that it is fairly obvious then that using magic necessitates force, it necessitates a long and steep learning curve and even the more dark magic one uses the more it disabilitates one's humanity and facilitates more evil. It strains both mind, soul and in the long term, one's physical appearance. To me that's convincing realism

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 05-15-2009 at 03:54 AM.
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #19
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Inked - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
Unlike magic draining Gandalf physically in the immediate aftermath, the Avada Kedavra spell drains the soul and sets the precedent in the mind (i.e. brain) of the witch or wizard to perform more dark magic with greater ease, less remorse and ultimately it perverts the physical appearance of the being.
Oh but it is true even unreated to the magic: the more bad things one does, the more prone to evil one becomes, the less remorse one feels, the more the soul is drained. Nothing new here.
Yet in realistic word any activity: physical or mental should drain your energy, one can haul only so much boulders in one day so to say. No one is similar to perpetuum mobile... Thus I don't see how advanced magic could not take its immediate toll on one's energy (physical and magical).
Quote:
there is ... no eternal life (unless one, nearly impossibly, endures extreme mental and physical pain and a fragmentation of the soul).
As far as I remember there was another method for immortality: the Philosopher stone. Nickolas Flamel + his wife were able to live about half a millennium without doing any damage to their souls. This method doesn't seem to be evil. Unlike in Tolkien, the idea of the eternal life for Men is not labeled as wicked: Voldemort simply chose the wrong method. Too bad for him.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #20
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
Oh but it is true even unreated to the magic: the more bad things one does, the more prone to evil one becomes, the less remorse one feels, the more the soul is drained. Nothing new here.
Yet in realistic word any activity: physical or mental should drain your energy, one can haul only so much boulders in one day so to say. No one is similar to perpetuum mobile... Thus I don't see how advanced magic could not take its immediate toll on one's energy (physical and magical).
Nothing new, yes, but that's not the point.

The magic in HP J.K. Rawlings has actually described quite neatly, and this theme she also ties up to the Choosing Hat and which House Potter would land in, Slytherin or Gryffindor. I can't paraphrase it where I'm at, but it was something like 'in Slytherin you could do great things'. This pursuit of greatness, going beyond a healthy balance, is the underlying story of going to the dark side. There is much greed involved and they are willing to kill and sacrifice whomever comes in their way.

Obviously it's a given that killing a lot makes it easier for a person to kill, but the premise here was that you found magic to be 'TOO EASY', and you mentioned Avada Kedavra as not requiring anything of the one who performs the spell. I'm pointing out that it does: It punches holes in the soul. The devilry and subtleness of it, and which I like about J.K. Rawling's way of characterizing it, is that the witches and wizards who performt he unforgiveable curses at first do not feel any great physical strain. Everything seems very well at first. But the more dark spells are cast and the more killing that is performed the emptier it gets, and as Voldemort epitomizes, the physical appearance begins altering by time. It's a wear and tear, albeit a slow one. And as many of the fallen witches and wizards in the HP world show, it becomes a perpetually vicious circle of greed, emptiness and weakness. The Malfoys are an excellent example: Both Lucius and Draco are seen physically weakened at the end of the books: the demands of more darkness and more black spells give them more agony, mental and physical. In fact Lucius falls right through a proverbial floor of rotten strength and cunningness.

Quote:
As far as I remember there was another method for immortality: the Philosopher stone. Nickolas Flamel + his wife were able to live about half a millennium without doing any damage to their souls. This method doesn't seem to be evil. Unlike in Tolkien, the idea of the eternal life for Men is not labeled as wicked: Voldemort simply chose the wrong method. Too bad for him.
Yes N.F. and his wife did have the Philosophers Stone, but, and here I would like to paraphrase Dumbledore but I don't have the books with me, I think he points out somewhere that many a wizard (and witch) have tried to find it for their gain but have met the wall or met a tragic fate. The Philosophers Stone was unique and exceptional, but only for one wizard and one witch. It's a really rare exception to the rule in the HP world, and J.K. Rawlings shows that for those who tried there was only trouble.

Voldermort, the one who went as far as anyone else, fragmented his soul into multiple parts. Thus Voldermort has a mechanical view of the world, he does not understand love, and he thinks that the Horcruxes can divide up his life and thus make him potentially immortal. He didn't just choose the wrong method, he had the wrong idea based on his flawed misconceptions: The misconception being that fragmenting the soul = protection = strength, while in reality it was fragmenting the soul = dividing the indivisible = losing strength (and humanity).

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 05-15-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote