Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-22-2009, 02:23 AM   #1
bradjoe96
Sapling

JK Rowling FAILS!

Ok, I'd just like to tell everyone how much I hate some of JK Rowling's activities.

First of all, she made Dumbledore gay. I WILL KILL HER!
Second, she made Dumbledore die in the 6th book. I WILL KILL HER!
Third, in the fifth book, she made Serious die. I WILL KILL HER!
I'm not sure who dies in the 7th one except one of the Weasley twins. And Harry... but not for long. I also know that Harry marries Genny and Hermione marries Ron. Now the one with Harry and Genny is just so cute to think about but the Ron/Hermione thing... Ewwww...

Anyway, JK Rowling has had some very good ideas (Harry + Genny) and some stupid ones (Killing off the ones that we adore most.

Just so I can make this clear, JK: Your movies are more than just movies to me. And you've gone off and killed too many people. Though thank you so much for the Harry + Genny because Jenny looks nice in the 6th movie, so I loved seeing her a lot
bradjoe96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:06 AM   #2
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

JK Rowling didn't FAIL - because you care so strongly about her books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjoe96 View Post
First of all, she made Dumbledore gay. I WILL KILL HER!
So what? - it was only mentioned in one interview. There is nothing of it in the books: it is not like old Dumbledore was molesting Hogwartz boys. Maybe Dumbledore had indeed been in love with Grindewald: it would explain things maybe better. But if they had been only friends, it still works.
Quote:
Second, she made Dumbledore die in the 6th book. I WILL KILL HER!
It was an interesting turn of events: the good side found itself leaderless. I personally was happy that Dumbledore was not resurrected like old Gandalf...

Quote:
Third, in the fifth book, she made Serious die. I WILL KILL HER!
I'm not sure who dies in the 7th one except one of the Weasley twins. And Harry... but not for long.
It would have been totally unbelievable it the Good guys managed to kill off all the Bad guys without casualties on their own side. So there goes Sirius and Dumbledore, and Fred, and Tonks, and Lupin, and Snape...
There could have been more: I think I read that Rowling was gong to kill Ron or Arthur Weasley. As it is, none of the main trio died.

Quote:
I also know that Harry marries Genny and Hermione marries Ron. Now the one with Harry and Genny is just so cute to think about but the Ron/Hermione thing... Ewwww...
Yep, I think Ron is way too dumb for Hermione...
I have never cared about Ginny...

Last edited by Gordis : 07-22-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I don't really care for the attitude you've shown in your first post ever on this board. Anti-gay rage and empty, nasty threats are neither called for nor welcome here.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
nasuada
Enting

First of all I'd like to say if J.K.R hadn't said anything about Dumbledore being gay no one would have noticed, I don't like that she made him gay though. Second Good people die and not everything is perfect especially when there's a huge war going on people are going to die on both sides, DUH! Thirdly, Hermione and Ron are cool together and J.K.R hinted that they liked each other from the early books. And Forthly Ginny is awesome! and her and Harry are a good match. Therefore J.K Rowling hasn't Failed!!!!
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face
and the rain fall soft upon your fields, and until we meet again may God hold you in the palm of his hands.

An Irish Blessing~

“If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large.”
~ William Wilberforce
nasuada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasuada View Post
First of all I'd like to say if J.K.R hadn't said anything about Dumbledore being gay no one would have noticed, I don't like that she made him gay though. Second Good people die and not everything is perfect especially when there's a huge war going on people are going to die on both sides, DUH! Thirdly, Hermione and Ron are cool together and J.K.R hinted that they liked each other from the early books. And Forthly Ginny is awesome! and her and Harry are a good match. Therefore J.K Rowling hasn't Failed!!!!
I agree with this generally except that I love that Dumbledore is gay. I think adds an interesting potential element to his relationship with Grindelwald as a young man; it's possible he was in love with Grindelwald. But, to each his own.

I originally didn't think Harry and Ginny was well-written but I have since changed my mind and feel it's actually quite a realistic relationship. I'm a huge fan of Ginny anyway, and fear her Bat Bogey Hex.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit that I ship Harry and Luna liek WOAH.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 07-31-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Nurvi,

Luna and Neville is an interesting match, no?

PS: nasuada is my sister

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz View Post
Nurvi,

PS: nasuada is my sister
That is very true. Sometimes I console myself about Harry/Ginny being irrefutible canon by supporting the Luna/Neville ship, which I agree is excellent.

I think it's so cool when siblings post on the same board, don't know why, but I do.
Quote:
Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Yeah, fifth sibling I've had join, too

I'm actually re-reading The Fellowship of the Ring, and I can't help feeling how different a wizard Dumbledore is in comparison to Gandalf. And yet...he's a worthy comparison, rather than just a mere imitation (read: all those crappy Fantasy novels that have a Gandalf-like wizard on the front!)

PS: want to do a little catchup at the Teacup?

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 08-05-2009 at 10:59 PM.
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
inked
Elf Lord

Nurvi, you have to read back your perception into GRindewald and Dumbledore. THERE IS NOTHING IN THE TEXTUAL MATERIAL TO SUPPORT even the AUTHOR'S statements about how she "Thought" of the big D.

But, hey, that's what texts are for!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
I agree with this generally except that I love that Dumbledore is gay. I think adds an interesting potential element to his relationship with Grindelwald as a young man; it's possible he was in love with Grindelwald. But, to each his own.

I originally didn't think Harry and Ginny was well-written but I have since changed my mind and feel it's actually quite a realistic relationship. I'm a huge fan of Ginny anyway, and fear her Bat Bogey Hex.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit that I ship Harry and Luna liek WOAH.
I completely agree with everything you've said. I love the fact that Dumbledore is gay, it also opens up the door for young, closet gays to be open to their sexuality and not oppose it, or find themselves "weird" or otherwise.

Quote:
Nurvi,

I've always wanted that to happen. All the other matches were predictable! (Well for the trio that is) - why couldn't Neville and Luna be the other predictable relationship? Haha, I would just love that - they're together in my head atleast.

Quote:

I'm actually re-reading The Fellowship of the Ring, and I can't help feeling how different a wizard Dumbledore is in comparison to Gandalf. And yet...he's a worthy comparison, rather than just a mere imitation (read: all those crappy Fantasy novels that have a Gandalf-like wizard on the front!)
I've done that too, compared the two wizards. I always come down to the thought of who would win in a duel. It always puzzles me - they have completely different powers that it makes it impossible to try and figure that out.
And many miles be still to go,
But under a tree I will lie,
And let the clouds go sailing by.

twitter
shesabrandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #11
Fool_of_a_Took
Hobbit

As to personal outrage at Dumbledore being gay, I don't think it's very fair to threaten to "kill her" for making a rather smart move on a series of works that belong to her. I was not too surprised by this move on JK's part. She has always tended to highlight unpleasantries of our society in her novels (eg: racism in the form of "mudbloods") and making such a loved character gay was a very brave step towards equality. I think she deserves applause, not contempt.

"We're flat broke, but hey, we do it in style."
Fool_of_a_Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool_of_a_Took View Post
and making such a loved character gay was a very brave step towards equality. I think she deserves applause, not contempt.
I think what many people react to, was that she did it mostly as an after-thought, not as something that is hinted at in her books.
Does it make you think 'oh, so that's why he did x, y and z' - or are there no puzzles that would be solved by that added information?

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
Fool_of_a_Took
Hobbit

I'm not sure it was 100% of an afterthought. It very well may have been, but at least for me, her ability as a writer to draw me into the story now makes me think that there was more between Dumbledore and Grindelwald than the brief account that we get in the books. There are many detailed stories that we only get a short glimpse of in HP, such as this between the two great wizards or even how the Potters fell in love (JK mentions that they did not always get along) so there is a possibility that this was not an afterthought, that she was giving her fans more information on the life of a major character that we could not get from the books.

Varnafinde, do you see this as an afterthought or as something that she had initially shied away from publishing in something that began as a children's book? Just curious to see other's takes on this, it's not really something I ever put much thought into before...

"We're flat broke, but hey, we do it in style."
Fool_of_a_Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
Amanda
Enting

Location: Where the only known occupation is constant laughter
JK Rowling rocks! Nuff said!

So Dumbledore is gay, oh well? He just happens to have a different preference for something. Imagine if everyone hated Snape because he had a preference for alchemy, or what if everyone just hated Harry Potter because he liked the color red? At least Dumbledore isn't a Nazi or a vicious dictator or a mean person or something like that! Somehow, those roles just wouldn't suit him!
Yes yes, so what to write here! Well nobody looks at these things, and it's very unlikely that I'll produce anything that original. So I may as well write something either way since it doesn't matter!

La la, lalalalala! La la laaaaaaaa, lalalalalalaaaaaa!

Last edited by Amanda : 11-21-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
Morwen
Hobbit

Only problem I have with her is she ripped A LOT from Tolkein. But then, so did many others.
Morwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #16
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwen View Post
Only problem I have with her is she ripped A LOT from Tolkein. But then, so did many others.
Agreed. But then again, as Dwight from The Office said, "Imitation is the highest form of flattery."
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #17
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Ah, I wonder what became of bradjoe?

Set up his own forum for like-minded mentalists no doubt.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #18
inked
Elf Lord

The Dickens, you say! Sayers mysteries of manners! All the school-story genre writers! Many alchemists!

It was hardly only Tolkien.

But you know that!

Like all Great Authors, she stands on the shoulders of giants!

But she indeed did fail to leave any textual evidence of her allegation in regard to Dumbledore. A vast and incomprehensible failure if she so intended. Pathetic, actually. Worse even than Shakespeare having to say that Romeo and Juliet was a love story. That bad.

Because there is not one whit of textual evidence to support the author in her claim.

On the other hand, you can adduce mucho evidence that the above cited authors were textually persuasively intended even where modified in the genre-rolling Rowling.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:49 AM   #19
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwen View Post
Only problem I have with her is she ripped A LOT from Tolkein.
... who ripped a LOT from other people. Your point?
Old 07-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #20
ASmileThatExplodes
Hobbit

Am I the only one who doesn't like Ginny very much? I think that she's in comparison with other characters in the books very... Flat. She doesn't stand out and irritates me in a weird way. And in my opinion, Ginny and Harry aren't a perfect match.

But okay, that's my view on this matter.
ASmileThatExplodes is offline   Reply With Quote