Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-19-2009, 05:11 AM   #61
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

That's right. The Trace is actually really unfair because it doesn't have any proof that the underage wizard actually did the magic he's being accused of. Not that the Ministry cares though, they're rotten to the core. (That's another thread though. )

When Dobby smashes a pudding at the Dursleys (third book?) Harry is blamed - a prime example of this.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesabrandybuck View Post
I really wish that they wouldnt make Hermione so pretty, because in the books she is suppose to be like hideous.
Hermione is pretty in the books, and quite good looking when she applies loads of some sort of magical hair product to de-frizz her hair.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 07-19-2009 at 05:14 AM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #62
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

I have recently seen HBP and liked it.

I simply must say it: Jim Broadbent played a superb, completely perfect Slughorn Here is another wonderful actor - such eyes....
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #63
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
I have recently seen HBP and liked it.

I simply must say it: Jim Broadbent played a superb, completely perfect Slughorn Here is another wonderful actor - such eyes....
You're JOKING! You liked it?! It was so horribly terrible in my opinion, the movie did absolutely no justice to the fantastic book. Biggest disappointment ever.
And many miles be still to go,
But under a tree I will lie,
And let the clouds go sailing by.

twitter
shesabrandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #64
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
You're JOKING! You liked it?! It was so horribly terrible in my opinion, the movie did absolutely no justice to the fantastic book. Biggest disappointment ever.
I was a bit disappointed in the anticlimactic ending - the killing of Dumbledore could have been done way better. But the rest I liked.

What exactly didn't you like?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #65
katya
Elven Maiden

I really liked some parts, especially with Malfoy, and I enjoyed watching the movie. But, after I started to remember what the book was like (it's been 2 years since i read it) I like it less. But if I pretend i never read the book, I like the movie. Well, there were still some other issues, like things that weren't explained very well (why is he the half-blood prince? etc.), plot holes, some parts of the movie dragged. I had a good time at the theater though, so I'm not complaining.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #66
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I really liked the movie. They did change some things, but they were less aggravating changes than in #5. The movie had that charm that the first four had, and that alone was enough to make it truer to the books than the Order of the Phoenix movie (then again, half the Phoenix book was almost unendurable).

I started out with really low expectations for the movies. I hadn't seen any of them until after I finished the series (which was in May this year). So, when I watched the first four movies I was continually surprised at how good they were. You'd think they would start messing up with Goblet of Fire, since it is such a long book, but they pulled it off great in my opinion. The biggest problem the movies face are details that seem dispensable at first, but then reveal themselves as extremely relevant. Take the Percy Weasley storyline, for example. The movies (accurately) take him out of the picture in Phoenix, but didn't bother to explain why or how in Goblet of Fire.

As for casting, I would say it's mostly very good. I'm not going to quibble about Harry's hair---that's minor, I think, for the movies. In the case of Lupin, the casting actually was better than the version I imagined.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #67
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Quote:
I was a bit disappointed in the anticlimactic ending - the killing of Dumbledore could have been done way better. But the rest I liked.

What exactly didn't you like?
After reading the book five times, I pretty much know the in & outs of the story. Firstly, they never really explained the importance of a Horcrux - or any other possible Horcruxes (i.e. when Dumbledore was explaining to Harry about how something from Ravenclaw & Gryffindor could be a huge possibility for Voldy's Horcruxes) - so, Harry is pretty much going into the next movie blind. They completely made up a pointless sequence in the middle of the film when they return to the Burrow for winter holidays, whatever that was it had nothing to do with the story line anyway - & was a completely useless scene. They could have turned that scene into another memory - potentially the memory that features Hepzibah Smith (I could be wrong with the name) which shows a future Horcrux. Another thing that realllllllly bothered me was that the whole importance of this book was learning all there is to know about Voldemort, his past, present, & future - the viewers still know squat about him. This is very, very, VERY crucial information for Harry in the next book on how to defeat him. I thought Dumbledore's death was all very touching but he does NOT fall out of the Astronomy tower! He'd probably be in pieces when he landed! I thought that was an absolutely awful thing to do (although I understand why they did it that way...I think) - and Dumbledore's burial was out of the film completely which was a huge shocker. That is a very important scene - firstly I think it's significant to know that Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore is the ONLY Headmaster to ever be buried on school grounds & it is the scene where Harry breaks up with Ginny. The whole film was wrong from start to finish. However, Draco was absolutely fabulous and was about the only good thing that came from this film.

twitter
Old 07-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #68
katya
Elven Maiden

I agree Link, Draco was fabulous! (and all your other comments) I was reading some comments on a movie site or something somewhere (maybe just imdb...) and a lot of people pointed out that Ron's love life was waaay overemphasized. It was funny, at times, but they spent a lot of time on that which could have been spent on explaining more important things, like Voldemort and the horcruxes and more about the half-blood prince thing. I mean, that is the title of the movie after all, but I don't think people who haven't read the book but saw the movie have any idea about it at all. My bf (as an example of that crowd) pointed that out (and says he now plans to read the books). Maybe it's not as important as Tom Riddle, but, I'm a big Snape fan so I find it important. ;]
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:36 AM   #69
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
After reading the book five times, I pretty much know the in & outs of the story.
Five times! You beat me there: I've read the books only once - last spring. No doubt you are bound to see more inconsistencies.

Quote:
Firstly, they never really explained the importance of a Horcrux - or any other possible Horcruxes (i.e. when Dumbledore was explaining to Harry about how something from Ravenclaw & Gryffindor could be a huge possibility for Voldy's Horcruxes) - so, Harry is pretty much going into the next movie blind.
Another thing that realllllllly bothered me was that the whole importance of this book was learning all there is to know about Voldemort, his past, present, & future - the viewers still know squat about him. This is very, very, VERY crucial information for Harry in the next book on how to defeat him.
I have a suspicion that at the beginning of the next movie Harry is going to find some stored memories for his perusal, legacy of Dumbledore, including ones about the locket and the ring and how Tom finally met his family on both sides. It would make more sense movie-wise, because only in DH Harry et Co would act on that knowledge and it would be easier to understand and to remember if it were obtained in the same movie. I heard DH will make two films, so there will be time enough. Also it will be in the next movie when Harry would part with Ginny.

Quote:
They completely made up a pointless sequence in the middle of the film when they return to the Burrow for winter holidays, whatever that was it had nothing to do with the story line anyway - & was a completely useless scene.
Well... it was useless enough, but I think it was not too bad - little more to make Molly hate Bella.

Quote:
I thought Dumbledore's death was all very touching but he does NOT fall out of the Astronomy tower!
Er... sorry, IIRC he did: both in the book and the movie. _Please check it.

Quote:
and Dumbledore's burial was out of the film completely which was a huge shocker. That is a very important scene - firstly I think it's significant to know that Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore is the ONLY Headmaster to ever be buried on school grounds & it is the scene where Harry breaks up with Ginny..
I've also missed this scene, that and the appearance of Dumbledore's portrait in Director's study. Again, maybe, it will be in the next movie. I hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
they spent a lot of time on that which could have been spent on explaining more important things, like Voldemort and the horcruxes and more about the half-blood prince thing. I mean, that is the title of the movie after all, but I don't think people who haven't read the book but saw the movie have any idea about it at all. My bf (as an example of that crowd) pointed that out (and says he now plans to read the books). Maybe it's not as important as Tom Riddle, but, I'm a big Snape fan so I find it important. ;]
And right you are. The explanation why Snape is the Half-blood Prince is sadly lackng: Eileen Prince is not mentioned. That is a huge drawback.

Last edited by Gordis : 07-22-2009 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #70
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Quote:
Er... sorry, IIRC he did: both in the book and the movie. _Please check it.
Oh, dear. Really?! That's depressing - I wish Rowling wouldn't have done that. I'm going to fetch my book in a second and check that out.

twitter
Old 11-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #71
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

A full week after the release of the latest movie and not one comment in the Harry Potter forum?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #72
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I'm too lazy to start a thread

We saw it - general feeling was that it was pretty slow. Some gorgeous scenery, though. And for me, Voldy just isn't as scary as before - seeing him chair a meeting made him just lose something - wait, did they have doughnuts on the table? Did he show some viewgraphs? Also reminded me of the Evil Overlord thing - that was hilarious - wonder if that list is still floating around the net ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #73
Pitchike12
Enting

I like the new movie, but the new movie is OK too.
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie. -Gandalf
Pitchike12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #74
inked
Elf Lord

Harry and Zionism? The Dark Lord rising ..........

Abysmal. You really have to read this for yourself. But in all the Potter boards I've been involved with over the years, and all the discussions I have had with folks pro/con Harry, nothing ...NOTHING... quite rushes in like this.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/141433

Then, again, consider the source, I suppose, for the remarks (not the reporting).
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 AM   #75
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
Abysmal. You really have to read this for yourself. But in all the Potter boards I've been involved with over the years, and all the discussions I have had with folks pro/con Harry, nothing ...NOTHING... quite rushes in like this.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/141433

Then, again, consider the source, I suppose, for the remarks (not the reporting).
"It's a plot! A plot to make us all Zionists!"

Very amused by the amount of work that went into this video-any. They can find as many horrible themes in it as they want; it won't change what the book actually centers around. Nothing! It's a kids book! They might as well be saying that my favorite children's book, Goodnight Moon incorporates the Greek paganistic views of praying to the moon.

Sorry for my rant. That was a ridiculous video.

In response to the first post, I like all the movies. They are very entertaining and I've watched them each many times. I don't really see a difference from the different directors, but then again I haven't read the books. Too much very light pleasure reading for my schedule. Too busy reading Tolkien and studying! But the movies are very fun to watch.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #76
inked
Elf Lord

Unhallowed, unhonoured, and unsung............

Part two of the Hollywood version of the end of Harry Potter, uselessly prolonged, apparently.

Having divided it into two parts, they could have done Nagini’s death properly after having done Neville’s speech and torture properly. They went all Hollywood at that point and rendered a most powerful scene virtually pointless – unless you just “luv” Hollywood chase scenes as a crude attempt to build tension. The whole bit with Snape’s death by Nagini striking 3 times after the useless sectum sepra spell by Voldemort was overdone. Frankly, I’m really shocked that JKR allowed those crucial changes. They could have presented them as written without difficulty. I also found the whole tenor of the story hollywoodized (in the sense of bowdlerized) by the interactions of Lord Voldemort with the death of the horcruxes and their secondary impact on Harry. I thought it crucial in the books that Voldemort had passed beyond the capability of knowing such because of the mutilation of his own soul, in fact, I seem to recall Dumbledore telling Harry that.

On the other hand, it followed the conventions of the Hollywood action-adventure movie and one can see how the limitations of the medium limited the story. No surprise, really. And it could have been worse, I suppose. I shan’t be making a second trip to the theatre to see it. I’ll wait till I get the movie as a DVD as a gift to see it again. It unimpressed me that much.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 07-16-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: addenda et corriegenda
inked is offline   Reply With Quote