Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-15-2006, 04:54 AM   #1
orithil
Captain Jack

Sidious or Mace SPOILORS

spoilors

When Darth sidious and mace were fighting in episode three did anyone notice that sidious started to lose the fight just as anakin was arriving
My guess is that sidious sensed anakin comin and began to lose the fight Purposely.Did you notice that in the fight sidious always had his light sabre close to mace's heart after each exchange.

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.

Last edited by orithil : 09-16-2006 at 08:39 PM.
orithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Interesting idea...and it makes sense. Although I don't know if Sidious would be willing to risk his life on the probable choice of Anakin.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Well, you're on the right track Orithil...because I'm thinking that little clash with Obi-Wan had Anakin rearing for a fight...and in this case he was going to help Mace, but...you all know...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:40 PM   #4
orithil
Captain Jack

Thank you.

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.
orithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:56 AM   #5
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

I also got the impression that he was losing intentionally... especially as he kept pleading with Anakin to save him. To me, it seemed obvious that he was capable of defeating Mace himself, (see how quickly he recovers when Anakin helps him a bit- it smacks of play-acting) but did a bit of I'm-such-a-weak-defenseless-old-man-and-Jedi-are-nasty-cruel-creatures-trying-to-kill-me etc. so Anakin would get over the last of hid doubts.

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Serenoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #6
XRogue
Elven Warrior

Yah, I agree. He was just using the moment to give Ani a push over the edge, knowing Ani was impulsive and tended to act first and think later.

After all, if Palp could kill 3 Jedi masters in a space of about 45 seconds, I'm sure he could have finished Mace too. And Palpy shoved Mace out the window mighty fast for a helpless old man, I must say. Definitely faking for the audience.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
thekingofgondor
Sapling

I'm not positive whether Palpatine was feigning losing to Mace before Anakin came in, but I don't see the logic in it (not that much of the second half of that film had much to begin with) for Palps, since he pretty much knew he already had Anakin hook, line, and sinker with his whole "I can help you prevent death" pitch. Anakin had no misconceptions about who was "good" and who was "evil" - he was even the one to out Palpatine as a Sith Lord and wanted him arrested. However, he believed his being able to save his wife and unborn children hinged on Palpatine's help, and after Mace rebuked Anakin's plea to simply arrest Palpatine rather than kill him, Anakin decided saving his wife was worth selling his soul to the Devil, so to speak. Palpatine was still very powerful, so I would still have expected him to be able to make a quick recovery after taking a beating from Mace and finish him off quickly (which I think was to destroy any shot at Anakin making amends, since I'm sure at least some of the Jedi Council would have agreed that murdering the Chancellor of the Republic, Sith Lord or not, was against everything they stood for).

Seeing as Mace was counted among the best lightsaber duelists in the galaxy, if not *the* best, it wouldn't be implausable that he could have beaten Palpatine when Yoda could not. I'd imagine the fact that someone as wise as Yoda being completely fooled for so long and in such a devastating way probably crushed his spirit (not to mention the death of so many other Jedi, friends, and even children at the hand of one of their own star pupils) enough for Palpatine, who was probably at his most-confident with all he'd just accomplished, to defeat him. Prior to that, Palpatine was still "in hiding," trying to manipulate the galaxy from behind-the-scenes, and I'm sure there was enough chance for failure that he was still a bit nervous about something going wrong when he fought Mace.
thekingofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote