FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-16-2000, 11:47 AM   #1
If only there were ATATs in LOTR

Question in my username: Discuss.

Old 08-16-2000, 01:48 PM   #2
bmilder

Re: Question in my username: Discuss.

Yikes, your name stretches the whole page out ATAT

Well they hardly needed machines when they had Balrogs, Nazgul, and the like...

Plus, why would they need fake elephants went they had real, live Mumakil Oliphaunts?
Old 08-16-2000, 02:52 PM   #3
Darth ATAT

Well I reckon that if an arrow could take out a Nazgu^l then two swivel blasters and two turbolasers could pretty much bring down all of them. As for Balrogs, well, they can't stop themselves from falling and falls are presumably deadly to them (they were to Gandalf anyway) so the ATAT would simply blast a big hole under them.
Old 08-16-2000, 02:54 PM   #4
Darth ATAT

And even Sauron with the ruling ring couldn't have repelled the effects of an orbital bombardment (ref your comment about machines in general). And if they had speeder bikes they could have just zoomed down to Mordor without ever getting close to Orcs or Black Riders.
Old 08-17-2000, 02:36 AM   #5
Grand Admiral Reese

That puts a funny image in my mind. Frodo, Sam, and company riding speeder bikes fleeing from the Nazgul. Aragorn with a lightsabre, the Lord of the Nazgul sounding like Lord Vader.

But then again, the host of Mordor attacking Minas Tirith with battle tanks and ATATs, the Orcs being battledroids. Its an interesting image. :lol:
Old 08-17-2000, 12:20 PM   #6
Darth ATAT

ROTFLMAO! lol that's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Frodo on a speederbike hehe!
Old 08-18-2000, 05:41 AM   #7
Jonce

New Movie

This as a good basic plot for a movie. Take away the Star Wars and LotR elements of course.
You could have a space faring race attack a magical world like Middle-earth thinking it was primative and easy pickings. Of course there'll be wizards and stuff using magic to fend of the space ships.
You heard it here first!
Old 09-24-2000, 03:19 PM   #8
Darth ATAT

Re: New Movie

Ahhh yes but we never saw Gandalf have anything near the ability to fend of starships. He couldn't even use flame without something to set burning....I dunno about Sauron, but his utilisation of primitive, medieval siege machines hints that machines, particularly those at the level of SW technology, would still be a very great force against him.
Old 09-26-2000, 12:36 AM   #9
Gilthalion

Re: New Movie

That's what would make it a great movie!

Start it off with life on the magical/primitive planet.

Then, the UFOs come...

...the abductions begin...

...the villagers blame the fairyfolk...

...the old wizard stops a terrible battle just in time...

...they all must fight together against the terrible technofoe!

Of course they couldn't stand up to that kind of firepower! Of course they would be swiftly overrun!

But remember, there would be some limited victories against the cheaply manufactured **** the Empire's slavedroids crank out. (ie, Ewoks)

And just look at how the frogpeople? (I forget) did in Episode 1.

In the end, the natural/magical Good would triumph over the artificial/technological Evil.
Old 09-26-2000, 11:23 PM   #10
Niffiwan

You're forgetting about the Valar!
Maybe the other Valar won't really care, but I'm pretty sure that Ulmo will eventually rise up in all his power.

Another question: Who would win, Sauron or Palpatine?
Old 09-27-2000, 01:41 AM   #11
Grand Admiral Reese

Re: ...

Sauron would toast Palpatine. There was once a thread about that at Spacebattles.com. The thread starter made Sauron a quadropelegic(sp?)and it was decided that he'd still beat old Palpy. Personally, I think Palpatine could beat the Nazgul Lord or the Mouth of Sauron, but not Sauron himself.
Old 09-28-2000, 02:42 AM   #12
Niffiwan

You know, I don't think that question can be answered; we don't really know all of Saurons powers...
let's see; he can turn into a bat, and also into different other beasts...
NO wait; that's before he became a shadow.

But really; what powers does he have now? Are they ever really revealed?
Palpatine can do all kinds of things with the force, inclusing making himself recover very quickly.
I know that Sauron can deceive people and twist them with his gaze, but I doubt that Palpatine would fall for that, being a master of that technique himself.
And another thing: Palpatine controlls all of his troops with his mind, so that if he tells all of the TIE fighters, etc to go and attack Sauron, they would.

Anyway, my main question is: What powers did Sauron had in the shadowy form that was his last one?
Old 04-22-2001, 08:44 AM   #13
Darth ATAT

Sauron could NOT beat Palpatine!
Old 04-22-2001, 03:02 PM   #14
Lief Erikson

(Muttering) Matter of opinion.
Old 04-22-2001, 05:51 PM   #15
Darth ATAT

Sauron has what powers? Casting shadows on the land?

Palpatine...well...ahem
Old 04-22-2001, 06:22 PM   #16
Lief Erikson

You know a few of the combat powers that Gandalf had. How much more do you think Sauron could have displayed? He wasn't a shady dummy on a far off throne doing nothing but controlling his troops.
Old 05-04-2001, 05:56 PM   #17
easterlinge

I can't imagine Princess Arwen calling Aragorn a "scruffy-looking nerf-herder". :lol:

Bad enough he looks like Meat Loaf in the LOTR Movie.

So... Frodo somehow triggers a meltdown in the Death Star? Denethor and Boromir is tempted by the Dark Side of the Force?
Old 05-04-2001, 09:14 PM   #18
X Rogue

Well, half of Meatloaf. The thin half.
And I've always thought that with the Ring, Sauron would beat Palpatine. But since Sauron lost it and never got it back, he would get cheese-toasted by Palpatine. And Vader would choke the Witch King in the meantime. My 2 cents. Or is that Ents?
Old 05-08-2001, 11:35 PM   #19
easterlinge

Instead of cuddly Ewoks, we would have Treebeard and the Ents demolishing the shield installation for the 2nd Death Star. That would be something.

Oh, I was mistaken about Aragorn looking like Meat Loaf. The picture I looked at was ELROND :lol: with Arwen, not Aragorn.

And how about Eowyn saying to Faramir, trying to brush him off, "I'd rather kiss a Wookiee."
Old 05-18-2001, 08:17 PM   #20
Mace McClain

:lol:

That would be so funny!!!