Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-07-2001, 12:31 AM   #1
bmilder

Star Wars Episode II - Attack of the Clones

I've just found out that the title of Ep II is... Attack of the Clones. Ok, I know that no one liked The Phantom Menace when it was first announced, but AotC sounds so cheesy. They could've done a lot better than that!
Old 08-07-2001, 12:40 AM   #2
webwizard333

Re: Star Wars Episode II - Attack of the Clones

I think the title gives away what the clone wars will be.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:45 AM   #3
gdl96

eh...kind of cheesy.

aotc
aotc
aotc
aotc
aotc
aotc
aotc
aotc
aotc
aotc
aotc

gotta get used to it.
Old 08-07-2001, 10:14 AM   #4
anduin

I got on a SW site (tf.n) for the first time in a looooong time yesterday looking for just that information, but found nothing. It must had been announced later on in the evening. Anyhoo, I hate the title. All I can think of is Attack of the Killer Tomatoes and Attack from Mars.

I would love to know what some of the other titles were. Surely they pulled this one out of a hat.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:52 PM   #5
X Rogue

Apparently it's been announced on starwars.com, according to this article.

Next "Star Wars" movie dubbed "Attack of the Clones"
Reuters
Aug 7 2001 1:03AM

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - "Star Wars" creator George Lucas revealed Monday that the next installment of his sci-fi franchise will be titled "Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones." The picture is set to bow next summer.
Lucas used the franchise's official Web site, www.StarWars.com, to make the news public.

According to the site, the title was chosen because it "harkens back to the sense of pure fun, imagination and excitement that characterized the classic movie serials and pulp space fantasy adventures that inspired the 'Star Wars' saga."

Set a decade after "The Phantom Menace," "Attack of the Clones" follows Jedi Knights Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) and Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen), who are assigned to protect Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman), whose life is threatened by a faction of political separatists.

Over the past year, Web sites set up by exuberant fans, such as www.TheForce.net, have published what they thought to be possible titles for the picture, including "The Shadow Falls."

"Star Wars" arguably has the most intense Internet following of all feature film franchises; fans have gone so far as to re-edit "The Phantom Menace" more to their liking and even have created their own digital-enhanced trailers for "Attack of the Clones" to be viewed via the Web.

Reuters/Variety

Henh. Oh well. I think it gives too much away, but who am I to argue with the venerable GL? I just buy movie tickets after all.......
Old 08-07-2001, 02:48 PM   #6
Prince Faramir

perhaps

GL is trying to appeal to even larger audience... also having just watched the phantom menace [again ], and enjoying it greatly, will there be another evil jedi fighting our two jedi heroes? having been away from this area of the board for absolutely ages are there any rumours on what this person could be / do?
Old 08-07-2001, 04:58 PM   #7
webwizard333

Re: perhaps

The titiles always have been rather specific of the main points of the movies. In The Empire Strikes Back what did you think wsa going to happen based on the title?
Old 08-10-2001, 01:55 AM   #8
Erewe

I just found this on tfn:

Coincidence of the Clone Announcement
Wed, Aug 08, 01 09:55:28 AM EDT

Eric brings up an interesting point:
With the fan world and media outlets all a buzz about the new SW title, one can’t help but wonder, Why announce now?" Why so early in the game?
Could it be that Lucas is capitalizing on a major breaking story in the past week? A story that even TFN was reporting?

In what has sparked a flurry of controversy and shocked the world, scientists announced last week that they were moving ahead very rapidly with preparation to implant 200 women with cloned embryos.

Today, scientists were set to defend their controversial plans for human cloning experiments to a U.S. science panel that is grappling with the safety and ethics of making genetically identical people. For Star Wars fans, this makes the timing of yesterday’s announcement of EPISODE II: ATTACK OF THE CLONES rather suspect.

Is it possible that Lucas while following this explosion of controversy on the world stage, captured the moment to announce his new title? Possible proof of this theory can be found the FOX NEWS website, where this morning a headline declared "SEND IN THE CLONES: As scientists prepare to begin experiments this year, international panel meets today to discuss human duplication and the complex ethical issues it raises." And just underneath it reads "Related Stories: Next Star Wars Movie: Attack of the Clones."

Coincidence? I think not.

So maybe it's all a joke to let us in on Lucas's opinion? I must be honest, at first I hated it, but now I'm getting used to it.

--Erewë
Old 08-10-2001, 03:15 AM   #9
anduin

I thought the same thing before I read that article. I was watching CNN or C-SPAN like crazy the day that all of this cloning nonsense came about. Then I find out about SW. It made me think about how perhaps this movie could show people just what could happen (I guess anything is possible) if we do successfully clone humans. Maybe ol' GL isn't as stupid as he appears sometimes. Either way, I think it was a clever move on his part to announce when he did, and I have no doubt that he planned it to the day.
Old 08-10-2001, 05:43 PM   #10
Brewhaha

Ack!! Attack of the Clones?? Whast is this, some kind of B-movie?? *Sigh* this seemes to be becoming a trend--the next installation of Star Trek seems to be going for the pop culture/hollywood look... all decent sci-fi is coming to and end, AN END!!! AIEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Brewhaha
Old 08-10-2001, 06:00 PM   #11
Prince Faramir

i believe stem cell research is excellent, cloning is dodgy territory though...

think of the genius of the title though, all we will be hearing for the next 5 years is cloning cloning cloning, and i bet the hype will come around the next star wars!!! lucas is a very shrewd fellow, much like Farmer cotton i be thinking
Old 08-10-2001, 06:13 PM   #12
Brewhaha

Ok, but I think that anything would be better than that title: he could've used 'Clone Wars'. Episode 2: Clone Wars doesn't sound too bad. How about Episode 2: the Clone Conflict. Anything! Anything but that cheesy b-movie title.

Brewhaha
Old 08-11-2001, 08:25 PM   #13
Darth Tater
The man

Fact of the matter is, the Clone Wars aren't the most important thing coming up in this episode. The Phantom Menace, which confused us all at first, was ultimately a good title, because it's exactly what the underlying theme of the movie was, an evil menace lurking on the sidelines. It rang true for the obvious plot of Sidious coming to power and Darth Maul kicking but, as well as bringing Anakin into a world which he will ultimately rule with an iron fist.

Now, the Attack of the Clones lacks all that. Even before the movie comes out we know i'ts a stoopid title that just simply states what one part of the film is! Ack, either GL is losing his mind or it's Mccallum's fault. I hope it's the second.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 09:44 PM   #14
jediguy
Hobbit

I think it's mainly the 'Attack' that gives it the B-movie feel. If it was 'Advance of the Clones' or the 'Rise of the Clones' then it would have more credibility....

IMO, it just brings back thoughts of 'Attack of the Zombies', 'Attack of the Killer Tomatoes' etc...
jediguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 05:52 PM   #15
Manwe Sulimo
Elven Warrior

The first thing that popped into my mind when I thought about the title was that it sounded like the sequel to Plan Nine from Outer Space or some such...
Manwe Sulimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 07:45 PM   #16
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

let's be honest: titles never were Lucas' strong point.
  • Star Wars
  • The Empire Strikes Back
  • The Return of the Jedi
  • The Phantom Menace
i'd say that TPM was the best of all titles. i hope this movie will be more in the line of the OT
Old 08-12-2001, 11:44 PM   #17
Xivigg
Elven Warrior

you forget

A new hope
Old 08-13-2001, 07:02 PM   #18
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I've had to repeat myself on so many different boards concerning this issue, I won't bother here.

I'll just summarize and say that I like the title. I'm already totally used to it, desensitized to it.

I never liked the title "A New Hope" at all. Yuck.

And I would have HATED, HATED "The Clone Wars". Yuck!
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 11:18 PM   #19
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

It really doesn't matter to me what he calls it; I'm going to watch it any way
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 10:57 AM   #20
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

I agree, "Attack of the Clones" sounds...... cheap. I like jediguy's "Rise of the Clones" better. Or maybe "Fall of the Republic", if the Republic's decline is caused by the chaos of the Clone Wars.
easterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote