Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-14-2001, 05:23 PM   #21
Admiral Ackbar
Hobbit

re:

I agree. I actually like "Episode 2: Fall of the Republic". As for titles being too obvious, don't you think 'The Empire Strikes Back' is a little revealing? It was an excellent title nonetheless. ROTJ also tells one what the movie is primarily about, yet no one seems to complain about that title. My point is that a movie title can tell the viewer what the main plot will be without ruining the entire film.

Ackbar
Old 08-14-2001, 06:42 PM   #22
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

i've picked this from TOR.N
Quote:

I happened to be browsing through Theforce.net's Episode 2 Main News page looking at the different foreign translations of the new Star Wars title "Attack of the Clones". One of the translations was into Tolkien's Quenya!!! I was quite surprised!!! See! Even in Middle Earth Darth Vader is popular!!!!

Translation, English to Quenya:

Attack of the Clones: Dagor Clonereva
Quenya makes it sound well.

though i'm just thinking that cannot be the right translation. Dagor=Battle i think.
Old 08-15-2001, 12:06 AM   #23
Erewe
Enting

Yeah, Dagor=Battle

My favorite SW title is A New Hope.

I think "The Shadow Falls" would have been cool, even though it wouldn't be completely revelent to the movie (I've seen the spoilers).

--Erewë

"Hey! Look! There he goes! Oh, it's just a crumby Balrog" --Crow T Robot

"I'll just see if Bombadil has a place to crash" --Pearl Forrester

"Put a sock in it, Legolas" --Mike Nelson

"Hey Gollum. Whats up man?" --Tom Servo
Erewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 06:40 AM   #24
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

Here's an interesting new item from www.newscientist.com
Quote:
"Cloned chickens on the menu

19:00 15 August 01
Andrea Graves

Factory farming could soon enter a new era of mass production. Companies in the US are developing the technology needed to "clone" chickens on a massive scale.

Once a chicken with desirable traits has been bred or genetically engineered, tens of thousands of eggs, which will hatch into identical copies, could roll off the production lines every hour.

Billions of clones could be produced each year to supply chicken farms with birds that all grow at the same rate, have the same amount of meat and taste the same.

This, at least, is the vision of the US's National Institute of Science and Technology, which has given Origen Therapeutics of Burlingame, California, and Embrex of North Carolina $4.7 million to help fund research. The prospect has alarmed animal welfare groups, who fear it could increase the suffering of farm birds."
Oh boy...... wonder if George Lucas will make a vague reference to it in the movie?
easterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 11:18 AM   #25
Admiral Ackbar
Hobbit

There are too many people on the anti-side and too many people on the positive side, and I beleive that GL is trying to appeal to a broad audience so doing that might turn off a large percentage of the fans who could be anti-cloning. That would be a big nono.

Ackbar
Old 08-19-2001, 09:13 PM   #26
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

THe cloned chickens article is real, but I posted it out of humour...... I mean, come on, cloned chickens ? I can see a really tacky movie coming out of this!!

easterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 11:52 PM   #27
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

What Happens?

Does anybody actually know what happens in the clone wars? Is it about a army of Jar-Jar clones? All I can remember about it is obi-wan and Luke taking briefly about in a new hope.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 07:16 PM   #28
Eowyn, The Lioness
Enting

I'd love to know what they were thinking when they picked the name. I'm convinced they were drunk.
Eowyn, The Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 10:15 PM   #29
thephantomcat
Hobbit

So Anduin,

You're against cloning, huh? Bummer. I guess that means you're agianst planned parenting methods that helps couples who need help getting a family started. (You people brought up cloning, by the way.) People are so afraid of the unknown. Are you implying that if we did clone babies that they would rise up against us or what? We'd better keep an eye on those septuplets and octuplets and even twins! They might just start to take over the world without us even being aware of it.

Also, if you spend too much time on the net someone could steal your identity and kill you or something.

I thought I was paranoid.

The Phantom Cat
thephantomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 09:30 AM   #30
anduin
Entwife

You are paranoid.

I am against cloning for the same reason I am against what Hitler was trying to do....create the perfect human, although he didn't have as sophisticated means. No one can be certain cloning in this day and age will have that end, but I generaly do not trust humans to always make the right choices. There are too many selfish people in the world to not think that someone somewhere will be unethical with this new technology. My opinion on the matter has nothing to do with childless couples. But since you brought it up, there are other methods that serve the same purpose.

Surely people that are in favor of cloning can't be so naive to think that no one will use this technology for selfish purposes. Even those who develope the research are selfish in their motives. Think of the money to be made by those that succeed, think of the fame, think of the power they would have to feel. Wait, you don't think that they are motivated my their dear sister, wife, lesbian daughter or friend who is unable to conceive in a natural (or even unatural) way....do you??!
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 11:48 AM   #31
webwizard333
Elf Lord

The demand for cloning is supported far more by those who have lost a loved one and lack the common sense to realize that the clone will not be exactly like the one that they lost.
Old 09-02-2001, 05:52 PM   #32
ryan
t2t relic

so he picked a crappy title, big deal.

what we should really be worried about is, if the first 3 follow the pattern of 4-5-6 -> good-less good-worse

if 2 is worse than 1 (which would be pretty bad, imo), whats 3 going to be like?

of course, thats just /my/ opinion..
into my pockets
my pockets, the pockets
of Ryan, Ryan, he who
will deliver the money
unto me. Then you will
truley be happy."
And the people followed, and all was well." --Ryan 62:33
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 10:23 PM   #33
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I think the Emporer Strikes Back was the worst...too much Han/Leia stuff. I actually LOVED the Return of the Jedi, and I didn't think I would. New Hope and Phantom Menace are okay, too. If they don't put too much Anakin/Padme business in it, I think I'll give episode 2 a chance. (Can you tell who hates love stories yet??)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 06:50 AM   #34
thephantomcat
Hobbit

These people do not lack any commen sense. They are fully aware of what cloning means. It seems that the two of you haven't read anything except Christian propaganda pamphlets regaurding cloning. These people know that the clones will have distinct personalities just like twins. They know that the clone will start its life as an infant just like everyone else. These are not simply pathetic parents who lost the only child to a car wreck and can't seem to move on with their lives. They are well adjusted people who see another tool technology is giving us to keep, at least. the memory of our loved ones alive.

And don't give me that bull about playing God. Doctors play God with new technology every day. Would you begrudge your mother a few more years of life because you don't want her to use a monkey or pig heart?

Always,

The Phantom Cat
thephantomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 12:12 PM   #35
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Actually, some people do believe that the clone will be just like the original, which makes us wonder if science is right and we're just a bunch of elctrons in a certain sequence or if we're something more than that. I hope I didn't offend anyone with the other post, I certainly didn't mean to. Though, another problem that comes from cloning is how many tries is it going to take to get it right? Dolly was one in two hundred (correct me if I'm wrong) tries. Are we willing to sacrifice that many lives just to bring a person who will only look like a lost loved one, but will probably turn out totally different? Back on the original topic matter, we're just going to have to get used to the title no matter how much we don't like.
Old 09-05-2001, 03:01 AM   #36
anduin
Entwife

thephantomcat........

Quote:
It seems that the two of you haven't read anything except Christian propaganda pamphlets regaurding cloning.
If you knew me at all you would laugh at that statement....I cannot speak for WW333. I have read no personal opinion on the subject of cloning. I need no other opinion to tell me that cloning is just a bad idea. I am usually all for advancements in science, but my gut feeling says that this is wrong. Plain and simple.

Quote:
They are well adjusted people who see another tool technology is giving us to keep, at least. the memory of our loved ones alive.
I think this is crazy. How well adjusted could they be to create another life, another human being for purposes as selfish as keeping the memory of a loved one alive. Should this replacement have to live in the shadow of its previous self? I know one girl in particular who often reminds her parents of a child that they lost at a young age, mostly because they look so much alike. It has been somewhat difficult for her. It is a hard thing to overcome no matter how well adjusted you are. Some things are just difficult to work out between parents and children. Now think how it would be for a clone of a deceased loved one.

Quote:
And don't give me that bull about playing God.
Oh, did someone mention playing GOD? For the record it was you that first brought it up.

It appears that you have made assumptions about my opinons on cloning without even asking. You believe that I (or we) obtained our opinons from religious proproganda. Perhaps you think my arguement as simple as doctors playing god. Not hardly....there is much more to it than that.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 03:21 AM   #37
Pabs
Sapling

attack of the clones?

I must say that I dont particularly like the title, and im pretty sure that my reasons are somewhat irrational and not very thought out...
On another note, if anyone has read the expanded universe books, and specifically, the bounty hunter wars,l by KW jeeter, whats the deal with Boba fett?!?!?! is he going to be jaster mereel, or is he gonna be a clone of Jango fett?? I can think of a dozen ways of relating the 2, but im not sure I like the idea of GL allowing the publishing of all these novels, and then mixing up the storyline, just cuz he didnt bother to edit the novels before they were published....
Pabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 09:16 AM   #38
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Well, it will be interesting to see if somehow GL's Star Wars and the EU fit together, though I suspect that there will be many differences (if the Emperor had studied art he would have won! ). Btw, I get all my information on cloning from magazines, newspapers, and books (I did DNA for a sort of scince fair project at school).
Old 09-10-2001, 11:25 PM   #39
AACHOO
Enting

GLs is the only story line that matters.SWs is his and his alone.
As for the title only the first part matters---STAR WARS---

Cloning? Its hard to go against nature when your apart of nature too.
AACHOO is offline   Reply With Quote