Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-24-2003, 10:37 PM   #1
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Jackson got it right on the Scouring

As much as I like the Scouring of the Shire, Peter Jackson is right to exclude it from the Return of the King. The trilogy is about the destruction of the ring. The Scouring, although great, was terribly anticlimatic. I think it would have been better for Tolkien to give the reclaiming of the Shire its own separate focus in the Appendix (like the story of Arwen and Aragorn) and end the book the Jackson will end his movie trilogy.

The brilliant thing about Jackson's move is that he can always bring the actors back sometime in the future and film the Scouring of the Shire as a special extra on a future LOTR DVD. He could do the same thing with Tom Bombadil and the barrow wights.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 12:21 AM   #2
Celebriel
Elven Warrior

May I ask, how do you know it will not be included in the ROTK? I hope they will. How else would the audience know the end of Frodo?

- Celebriel
Celebriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 12:40 AM   #3
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Quote:
The trilogy is about the destruction of the ring. The Scouring, although great, was terribly anticlimatic.
BB, I am trying very hard not to hit you over the head with a frying pan. I would like to point out though that the purpose of the Scouring in the book is to calm the reader down. The Hobbits are going home, they clean stuff up, things start winding down for the conclusion. I honestly wish the great sod would grow some brains when it comes to this and help calm the audience down, it will be needed because they say we're gonna be a LITTLE weepy during the film.
Quote:
How else would the audience know the end of Frodo?
The Scouring is just sort of a cleanup bit. They fix up the rest of seriously evil people and get thing back to normal. It's not the END of Frodo...the "end" comes when he goes to the Grey Havens. The Scouring doesn't really lead up to it. They can take it out...I just think that PJ will loose alot of Tolkienite support. I mean he mauled Treebeard in TTT, and he made Lothlorien into some sort of strange freaky place in FOTR...stands to reason he's gonna hack something to bits in ROTK...probably the end,
Cheers,
Sam
ps. Dont kill me BB. I was stating my opinion, so please dont take offense as to what I said. I merely think that PJ could've done better with some of the scene's in both movies.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 01:00 AM   #4
Celebriel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
It's not the END of Frodo...
I know the scouring does not symbolize the end of him, I just did not want to spoil his fate for anyone who did not know it.

But I do agree with you on the rest.

Ah, my animes are on. Namaarie!

- Celebriel
Celebriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 02:48 AM   #5
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
Quote:
Originally posted by samwise of the shire
BB, I am trying very hard not to hit you over the head with a frying pan.
I'll do it for you *wack!*

The Scouring just kinda ties everything up. I love it, and I still hope PJ will pop in even a bit of it.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:03 AM   #6
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Re: Jackson got it right on the Scouring

You really like to live dangerously, do you Black Breathalizer?

Although I do not like it, it seems all rumours support that there will be no scouring of the Shire in the movie. I think it is a pity, because for me that part was essential to the story. In the book it is a tale told from a Hobbit's point of view, it is the Hobbits we get to follow home after the fall of Sauron, and the scouring fits in naturally. Also the changes the four Hobbits undergoes on their quest, and how they (Sam, Merry and Pip) manage to rouse the inhabitants of the Shire to a rebellion is an important part of the book. It shows another side of the merry Shire people.

I can see why PJ cut the part out though, as he seems to have done. If everything I would want to have in the film had been actually taken in, it would have been at least a 'six-logy'.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:04 AM   #7
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

You can't delete the scouring and make up an ending. Well, you can, but I believe the quality of the movie would be diminished. Due to time constraints, I can understand why he might want to cut this part out. I think he should go ahead and make a four hour movie. People would still go and see it, Fiddler on the Roof is four hours long.

And just imagine... four solid hours of surround sound, special effects, great acting, mideval style battles, wow! Readers and non-readers alike have built up huge loyalty, interest, and fandom with FotR and TTT, we are ready for a really long and excellent finale to the series, so bring on the Scouring!

Cheers .N.

Edit: whoops, typo
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 09:37 AM   #8
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

PJ didn't film the Scouring of the Shire. That has been confirmed by countless sources, including PJ himself.

But you are all missing my point. The point is that Jackson COULD STILL film it. It's part of the LOTR story that they have the movie rights to film. PJ tells the tale of the ring and THEN goes back and tells the hobbit tale we didn't see on screen. Now that the films have become mega-hits, it makes sense.

To paraphrase the immortal words of New Line's Chairman, Bob Shaye: Why settle for three LOTR films when you can make FOUR?

The Lord of the Rings: The Scouring of the Shire.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:21 AM   #9
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Although I would completely miss the scouring, with the way PJ has been setting these films up and his style, it wouldnt have worked. (he couldnt have had it work) I think it could have been beautifully done and not an anti-climax, but not for PJ's films .
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 11:34 AM   #10
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Its a shame really because it works well in the books but from a Hollywood point of view I can definitely see why they wouldnt want to do it. Youve just spent three years pouring all over Middle Earth fighting battles and creatures of amazing power and from the jaws of defeat you snatch victory and youve defeated a super powerful creature of pure evil and saved the world from certain doom and basically hell on earth after the fate of your quest was hanging by a string. A new king of the old blood line is finally crowned and men reunite and peace abounds. And now what do you do? Well you have a little fight with some thugs in the shire. Then you plant some new trees and rebuild some houses and.... eh.... 90% of the viewing public would be thinking whats going on? Isnt it over? Wheres my coat.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 11:58 AM   #11
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Jackson got it WRONG on the Scouring (and Arwen, but I won't go into that ;) )

The Scouring of the Shire is a symbolic part of the story. Tolkien has stated (a number of times, I believe) that he sees history as one long defeat, with occasional glimpses at the final, Eternal Victory. The destruction of the Ring and the crowning of Aragorn was such a glimpse at the final Victory. The Scouring of the Shire, along with the scene at the Grey Havens, were parts of the continuous Defeat, and showed that the world will not be a perfect, paradisical place after the defeat of Sauron and the destruction of the Ring. But the Scouring was important in and of itself, as it showed how even the Little Folk of the Shire can stand up for what is theirs; it is a part of the theme of how even the smallest people can make a difference.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 01:10 PM   #12
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

you WON'T miss the scouring of the shire?! *goes away pulling hair out*
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 01:38 PM   #13
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
The point is that Jackson COULD STILL film it.
That would be great if it were done with the same skill and thoroughness as the movies we have already seen. But then why not shoot it as four movies from the beginning?
Old 02-25-2003, 02:26 PM   #14
Aranwe
Enting

It'd make a rather boring end to the 3 movies for those who haven't read the books. Would be great to see it added, but unfortunately it doesn't look like that's going to happen

Maybe if PJ returns to the Tolkien story to do 'The Hobbit' he'll film some extra scenes there, but I doubt it.

Quote:
The point is that Jackson COULD STILL film it. It's part of the LOTR story that they have the movie rights to film
Wouldn't be worth flying all the actors, crew etc. out to New Zealand just for 20-30 mins of footage to do it on its own. They could make a mini-movie or something but I think an entire movie about the scouring of the shire would basically be crap!
Aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 02:30 PM   #15
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
Ya know what I would like to see? (Now that I'm done wacking BB) I would *love* it if they put like an alternate ending in the EE of ROTK, or use the Scouring as a deleted scene in the Theatrical Version, and put it back in in the EE.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:34 PM   #16
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Aranwe
It'd make a rather boring end to the 3 movies for those who haven't read the books.
I think non-readers are just as intelligent and preceptive as people who did read the books. In that case, they can appreciate how the story comes full circle in the Scouring. This part of the story starts and ends with hobbits. They can appreciate the importance of the hobbits defeating evil in their own land without any help. The fact that the evil of Mordor penetrated even the Shire is extremely scary and dramatic, and there's also kick ass battles, and humour. What more could you want?

Though, I agree, BB, that he could still film it, I doubt that he will. (I'm still holding out for the fact that PJ's filmed it already, and it will be part of RotK.) PJ is a good director, and organised. This means he probably planned out how and what he was going to film for all three parts in advance of the actual filming. The guy did spend about six years on this project.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 03:26 PM   #17
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
I think non-readers are just as intelligent and preceptive as people who did read the books. In that case, they can appreciate how the story comes full circle in the Scouring
eh... I think you give people too much credit unfortunately. Im thinking a lot of viewers would lose focus at this point and think it was a lame ending despite its necessity to the books. I mean you think the movie Jackass made tons of money because people like to have deep meaning and subtle closure themes in their movies? Nah. Unless it was done in such a way which would involve changing things anyway and making it more hollywoody and even that would be extremelly difficult to pull off.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 09:28 PM   #18
Elf Girl
Lurker

I am not going to argue with BB, as the reason BB joined Entmoot is evidently to be a troublemaker in all ways possible, and my viewpoint has already been expressed. *hits BB over the head with a frying pan by accident* Sorry... instinct....

Last edited by Elf Girl : 02-25-2003 at 09:32 PM.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 09:30 PM   #19
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Aranwe
They could make a mini-movie or something but I think an entire movie about the scouring of the shire would basically be crap!
Actually, I agree with you about it making up an entire movie.

But I would bet anybody that New Line is talking about the Scouring of the Shire with PJ now. When Jackson planned and executed the original film shoot, they weren't thinking of ANY extended versions. According to PJ, it was only when he discovered that he had a wealth of good material for the Fellowship of the Ring that would need to be cut from the theatrical release that the idea of an extended version was ever discussed.

Since then, I'm convinced that last year's actor reunion in NZ for additional shooting was as much for the extended edition of TTT as it was for TTT's theatrical release. So the idea of the Scouring being added this summer -- or even the summer of 2004 -- is not completely far-fetched.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:09 PM   #20
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

I have to agree. I know many people on this board love this part of the books. Personally, I think it is a major let down and somewhat unrealistic. For Saruman to have fallen that far does not strike me as believable.

I also think it would have been better as an appendix. But Tolkien himself has said that with a story that large, it is impossible to please everyone. I am quite thankful for his work!

(Actually, I think that is the one part of LOTR that contains a tad bit of allegory, although JRR denied it.)