Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-17-2005, 04:48 PM   #1
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

I know what it is that you saw

In the scene of the mirror of Galadriel. Galadriel says to Frodo "I know what it is that you saw, for it is also on my mind". But how did she know that what he saw was the same thing that was on her mind?

Sorry, second geeky thread in this forum, but I have to get these things off my chest
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:50 PM   #2
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Ooooo, that's a good one! I don't know. That's a damn good question.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:54 PM   #3
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
I could be wrong, I should breally read the books again. But I think it was because of her ability to read the thoughts.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:48 AM   #4
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Seeing as in the movie after Frodo has looked into the mirror, Frodo and Galadriel talks to each other without moving their lips. So Galadriel could indeed read thoughts and thus she could know "what it was that Frodo saw".
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Thanks.
That solves it.
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:44 PM   #6
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Actually, the words of Galadriel were taken from the book:
Quote:
But suddenly the Mirror went altogether dark, as dark as if a hole had opened in the world of sight, and Frodo looked into emptiness. In the black abyss there appeared a single Eye that slowly grew, until it filled nearly all the Mirror. So terrible was it that Frodo stood rooted, unable to cry out or to withdraw his gaze....
The Ring that hung upon its chain about his neck grew heavy, heavier than a great stone, and his head was dragged downwards. The Mirror seemed to be growing hot and curls of steam were rising from the water. He was slipping forward.
`Do not touch the water!' said the Lady Galadriel softly. The vision faded, and Frodo found that he was looking at the cool stars twinkling in the silver basin. He stepped back shaking all over and looked at the Lady.
`I know what it was that you last saw,' she said; `for that is also in my mind. Do not be afraid!
So in the book it is clear that Galadriel knew what Frodo last saw (the Eye), just by observing the mirror steaming, by Frodo's reaction and the Ring's reaction as well.

Unfortunately, I don't remember what it was that Frodo last saw in the mirror in the movie. Was it the Eye as well?
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote