Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-07-2004, 02:16 AM   #1
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Travel Tips

I will soon be taking a trip to Jolly Old England, France, and Switzerland. I was wondering if there is anything in particular that any of you think I should know before I go.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 11:33 AM   #2
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Pack light, pack light, pack light. When I went to Spain for twelve days I took very few clothes, and no jeans, and just handwashed them when they got dirty. My suitcase was extremely light (which was handy when my hotel room was on the third floor and I didn't want to wait twenty minutes to ride an extremely rickety elevator) and I had plenty of room for my souveneirs. Also, find out what is usually worn in the areas you're going to if you don't want to stick out as a tourist. I wore skirts and somewhat nice clothes while in Spain and was actually told by some of the guides that I could have easily blended in, had my Spanish been better .
Old 06-07-2004, 02:44 PM   #3
Janny
The Blobbit

Re: Travel Tips

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
I will soon be taking a trip to Jolly Old England, France, and Switzerland. I was wondering if there is anything in particular that any of you think I should know before I go.
Cool! Thanks for honouring England as jolly and old, and leaving the French with nothing
Which part of England were you planning to frequent?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 02:51 PM   #4
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Re: Travel Tips

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl

I agree with what Starr Polish said.

It would not hurt to leave an itinerary with your family or a close friend plus a way to get in contact with you, just in case. You may consider doing the same with your embassy (but this may be a bit over the top IMO).

A good travel book can help you make the best use of your time traveling.

An small emergency kit may be a good idea as well. Put any medications that you may need. If you do take any medicine (Rx or not) keep it in the containers that they originally came in from the pharmacy or store. The may help you in case you get questions from the authorities about what you are carrying.

Have a photocopy of your important papers (ie passport, credit card, anything else you consider important) to make it easier to report missing and/or replace, just in case.

Make sure your shots are up to date if necessary.

Do not forget the sun block/tan, hat and any other necessary clothes.

Brush up on some key phrases to speak with the natives. Even if you cannot speak the language well, I think people will be more willing to help you if you make an effort to speak to them in their own language.

I do not know if there are any websites on this, but it is good to know the value of any merchandise you plan on buying. Doesn't make much sense to buy a leather bag in France for 200€ when you could buy the same bag at home for less money.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:01 PM   #5
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

MAN. Why you not going to Scotland??

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:10 PM   #6
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Twista
MAN. Why you not going to Scotland??
Don't worry Twista - my parents had gone to Scotland. They liked it. They had gone to Edinburgh, I'm not sure where else though. I would like to see Scotland some day as well as Wales and Ireland.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:26 PM   #7
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
...I would like to see Scotland some day as well as Wales and Ireland.
uh-oh... hoping to plant the seeds of rebellion? Start an uprising?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:26 PM   #8
Mercutio

If you want to blend in on the continent, DON'T wear sneakers, baseball caps, t-shirts, or blue jeans.

But that can be hard for a lot of Americans.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:36 PM   #9
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercutio
If you want to blend in on the continent, DON'T wear sneakers, baseball caps, t-shirts, or blue jeans.

But that can be hard for a lot of Americans.
Why should we do that? When people come here - we don't expect them to fit in and dress our way.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-07-2004, 03:46 PM   #10
Mercutio

Quote:
Why should we do that? When people come here - we don't expect them to fit in and dress our way.
So that you aren't labeled as the "ugly American." That's why. You should respect other people, whether or not you expect the same of them. You are a guest in their country. You want to be culturally sensitive.

Old 06-07-2004, 03:50 PM   #11
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Probably just a matter of personal preference. Some, when visiting another country, don't mind 'just being themselves' - and don't care that everyone can tell they're American. Others would just as soon try to pass for a native if possible and not draw attention to themselves, for whatever reason.

I'd probably fall into the latter category myself, though I might just be fooling myself if I tried. Especially if I was in China or something.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:51 PM   #12
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Please, JD. Let's not turn a straightforward thread into a political forum...

Khamul wants to know if anyone has suggestions on how to make his travels go more smoothly and easily. That's all.

My suggestion is "comfortable shoes." If that means sneakers, fine, but remember, you may be asked to remove them at airport security.

I have a nice pair of leather slip-on loafers that are very comfortable and easy to get on and off.

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:54 PM   #13
Mercutio

I would suggest you buy the book by Rick Steves entitled "Europe Through the Back Door." Its a wonderful introduction to European travel, every possible aspect of it. You might want to try buying an older edition (you can never trust the newest edition to have times, etc., correct anyway; always call first) for a few dollars on half.com. After a new edition comes out, the prices on the old ones drop dramatically.

Old 06-07-2004, 03:59 PM   #14
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercutio
So that you aren't labeled as the "ugly American." That's why. You should respect other people, whether or not you expect the same of them. You are a guest in their country. You want to be culturally sensitive.
I generally dress so that I am comfortable.

This usually means blue jeans and sneakers. The other depends on the situation.

Usually I find that poor actions tend to be more offensive to other people than ones choice of clothing. (unless said clothing is also in poor taste.)

I think in Europe that Jeans are becoming more and more common today. I least this is my observation from traveling in Greece and Cyprus.

I will say that I try to dress and act appropriately if I am aware of any cultural taboos agaisnt certain articles of clothing and/or actions.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Last edited by mithrand1r : 06-07-2004 at 04:01 PM.
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 04:48 PM   #15
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
When I went to Barcelona a few years back we were warned not to behave too much as tourists since you'd run more risk of having your bag snatched or being ripped off by the taxi drivers. Of course with our absolutely lack of any knowlegde regarding Spanish we stood out rather well.

Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r
I think in Europe that Jeans are becoming more and more common today. I least this is my observation from traveling in Greece and Cyprus.
Jeans are very common here to my knowledge.

It's usually the baseball cap and the chewing gum that gives you yanks away.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:03 PM   #16
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Quote:
Don't worry Twista - my parents had gone to Scotland. They liked it. They had gone to Edinburgh, I'm not sure where else though.
Really? I live 5 minutes out the center of Edinburgh. Do you know where they stayed?

Just curious lol, just shows its a small world ( Edinburgh really isnt a very big place ).

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 05:03 PM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yeah, and the baseball slogans on the shirts. I know that a few people from the US have come over here, and pretended they were from Canada. Dunno if that'd work for you though, Khamul.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:14 PM   #18
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Beruthiel's cat
Please, JD. Let's not turn a straightforward thread into a political forum...
I'm not - i'm asking a quesiton - an honest question. What is wrong with being ones self? The way Bop said it - "don't mind 'just being themselves' - and don't care that everyone can tell they're American" - I would like to know what is wrong with people knowing that one is from America? I would not go over to another country and wear anything other than what I wear here. I would be myself - the same way I expect people coming here would be.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-07-2004, 05:16 PM   #19
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Yeah, and the baseball slogans on the shirts. I know that a few people from the US have come over here, and pretended they were from Canada. Dunno if that'd work for you though, Khamul.
Then they're not real Americans if they would turn their back on their country and pretend to be from somewhere else. I'd make sure I wore my NJ and American flag shirts. If people don't like me for being American - without bothering to talk to me - then I know they are prejudice. Shows more poorly on them than it does on me.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-07-2004 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:21 PM   #20
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Twista
Really? I live 5 minutes out the center of Edinburgh. Do you know where they stayed?

Just curious lol, just shows its a small world ( Edinburgh really isnt a very big place ).

Sadly I don't remember - not even sure if my father would remember now. The only place I got to go in Britain was England - I wish I got to go more places. It was cool though with the pubs and stuff. I would like to go into the Moors of Scotland.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide