Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-15-2002, 10:49 PM   #1
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Eol

Okay, I don't think this has been done before, I searched for it, but forgive me if I'm wrong. . .

A while ago I was discussing Eol's role in the Silmarillion with a friend. I guess this question is a bit like the 'Feanor a villain?' thread...I said that I thought Eol was basically horrible and villainous. My friend disagreed. So. Discuss.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 11:34 PM   #2
olsonm
Elf Lord

I think Eol was an angry bitter elf by the time he entered the story. It is unclear to me if this was how he always was or if he became this way.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:43 PM   #3
Eruviel Greenleaf

I think he was bitter mainly because of the arrival of the Noldor, and Morgoth. But I'm not entirely sure. Anyway, perhaps that could be one reason for his actions, but I don't think said actions were justified by any possible events or whatever else might make him bitter and angry.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 08-15-2002, 11:50 PM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'll have to re-read that section again, but the sense I got was that he was angry, and resentful, rather than villainous.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:00 AM   #5
Eruviel Greenleaf

Actually, I need to read it again too...*heh* but. . .well, I say villainous, because I found his actions to be quite unforgivable in my book. He was angry resentful, true, but aren't most villainous types?

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 08-16-2002, 03:11 AM   #6
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

They were BOTH ( Feanor and Eol) @#$%^&*.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 04:32 AM   #7
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
They were BOTH ( Feanor and Eol) @#$%^&*.
Yes, A-E, we know how you feel.

I think, however, that Feanor is slightly more deserving of the title, @#$%^&*, than Eol.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:34 AM   #8
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

For a summary of the events, click here.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:07 AM   #9
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

I think, however, that Feanor is slightly more deserving of the title, @#$%^&*, than Eol.
I tend to excuse Feanor, he was rather a mighty Elf who was persuaded by Melkor. Eol did not have that excuse.

The Sil says about Eol:
Quote:
He shunned the Noldor, holding them to blame for the return of Morgoth
I think Eol became ever the more angry and bitter because his own son Maeglin turned towards the Noldor and fled to Gondolin. When Eol tried to kill Maeglin in Gondolin, it was all due to his bitter pride.

It wasn't Eol's smartest move to take a Noldo as wife though, especially not someone like Aredhel, who wasn't likely to be content with his command; to never see the light of the day and not be together with the sons of Feanor, or any of her kin. Aredhel must have felt like living in a cage. No wonder she left.

Last edited by Artanis : 08-16-2002 at 12:11 PM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 09:55 AM   #10
Nilvasaien
Hobbit

Artanis posted:

"I think Eol became ever the more angry and bitter because his own son Maeglin turned towards the Noldor and fled to Gondolin. When Eol tried to kill Maeglin in Gondolin, it was all due to his bitter pride."

I have to agree. Dark Elf was an apt description of Eol, not just his looks, but his character. The need to lay blame for the return of Morgoth is telling.

However, I have to give him a little credit for his skill, and his willingness to befriend the Dwarves.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:20 AM   #11
Eruviel Greenleaf

Thanks, Mirahzi...I didn't know you were here

I would agree that Eol gets credit for his skill, but despite that I think his character is just a bitter, snarky person already--his resentment of the Noldor and blaming them for Morgoth's presence, but at the same time he goes and marries one of them. And not, as Artanis said, the best choice, either, considering what Aredhel was like. Not the type to be caged. His son's betrayal of him, I think, was no excuse for trying to murder him. Especially since Aredhel died instead.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 08-16-2002, 10:45 PM   #12
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
he was a...er...brat.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 10:54 PM   #13
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Christiana
he was a...er...brat.
Elaborate, please.
Old 08-17-2002, 12:12 AM   #14
Christiana
Elf Lord

hmm...he did not let his wife and son go abroad,he was rude to Turgon,and 100 other bad things.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Old 08-17-2002, 12:39 AM   #15
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Quote:
hmm...he did not let his wife and son go abroad,he was rude to Turgon,and 100 other bad things.
Oh. I guess 'brat' just isn't the word I'd choose to describe him with.

Actually, he did let Aredhel wander about, so long as she didn't try and find the Noldor, his enemies.

Quote:
It is not said that Aredhel was wholly unwilling, nor that her life in Nan Elmoth was hateful to her for many years. For though at Eol's command she must shun the sunlight, they wandered far together under the stars or by the light of the sickle moon; or she might fare alone as she would, save that Eol forbade her to seek the sons of Feanor, or any others of the Noldor.
Old 08-17-2002, 12:43 AM   #16
Christiana
Elf Lord

hehe."brat"is a subsitute for another word.

Old 08-17-2002, 12:44 AM   #17
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Eol was a dark elf. Moriquendi. I don't however think he was one of the Avari. He did very well as a loner until he got married.

And that should be a lesson to all of you.

While he might have been prideful, arrogant and wilful, the only markedly evil act he did was to try to murder his son, Maeglin, and instead killed his wife. Up until that point, he was willing to "divorce" as long as he got "custody".

If you people remeber your "history" you might realize that it would have been better if he had. Gondolin would not have been betrayed from within. Perhaps Eol knew his son better than anyone else. Turgon himself also must take some of the blame for what happened. When he put Eol to death, he basically sealed the doom of Gondolin.

I don't put Eol even in the same class as Feanor. Feanor acted with forethought, and knowledge of his actions. Eol acted from passion.

He's a dark, brooding figure yes, but not quite up to villain status.
Trust me, I know villains when I see them. Maeglin now, he was a villain.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 02:25 AM   #18
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Ok, let's try and figue this out.

Eol was a Telerin Elf of the following of Elwe. He resided in Doriath, but when Melian wove the Girdle of Enchantmant, Eol felt restricted and no longer wish to live there. Thingol granted him permission to live in Nan Elmoth. Here he befriended and learned great craft as a smith from the Dwarves. Aredhel who had a great love of travel, not uncomman in many of the Noldor, met and married him. Aredhel was not prisoner to Eol and was free to go throughout Nan Elmoth, but Eol kept her from her kindred that he held resposible for the Kinslaying at Aqualonde, especially Feanor and his sons that she had great friendship with. Meaglin loved his father, but felt that he always deprived his mother of her kin. When Aredhel became restless and left with Meaglin for Gondolin, Eol was exasperated with her and followed. When he got there, he did not accept Turgon's offer of hospitality and friendship, and claimed he had come for his wife and son and would leave, but if Aredhel chose not to, then he would leave with his son. Of course, Aredhel and Meaglin had no choice in this matter. Turgon said they must stay, eventhough he had allowed Aredhel to leave before. He gave Eol the choice to "abide here, or die here, and so for your son" Eol at that point was stirred to wrath. I will quote from memory cause the book isn't handy. It was something like this:
Quote:
Turgon extended his hand in friendship saying "Welcome kinsman, for so I hold you. Here you may dwell at your pleasure. One thing only do I ask and that is that you remain here, for my kingdom is hidden, and it is my law that whosoever make their way here must stay." But Eol withdrew his hand and said: "I care nothing for your secrets, nor have I come to spy on you. I have come for one thing only, namely my wife and son. But, if you have some hold over your sister, then let her remain. Let the bird fly back to the cage where she will sicken as she did before. But my son you shall not withhold from me. And this is the land of the Teleri, to which you bring war and unquiet. Come Meaglin son of Eol, your father commands you. Leave the house of his enemies and slayers of his kin." Then Turgon sat in his high seat holding his staff of doom, and he said: "I will not debate with you Dark Elf. By the swords of the Noldor alone are your sunless woods protected and your freedom to roam there freely you owe to my people. And here, I am King and my doom is law. Two choices are given you, either to abide here or to die here, and so for your son."
Pretty good for no book huh? Anyway, it was around then that he threw the spear, or dart or whatever that killed Aredhel.

Was Eol a villion? No. Was Eol bitter? Yes. Was Eol evil? Yes. Was Eol always that way? I don't think so. Plus considering the feelings that the dwarves had for the Noldor, that was probably an influence aswell.

Also, it never seemed as though Meaglin was a real bad guy until he realized he could not have Idril, and her hand going to a human was more than he could bear. WHEW!
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 02:35 AM   #19
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I'm amazed that you proclaim Eöl evil so easily, but deny that Fëanáro was corrupt. Of course, I'm also amazed at my knack for finding diacritics too.

Quote:
Was Eol a villion? No. Was Eol bitter? Yes. Was Eol evil? Yes. Was Eol always that way? I don't think so. Plus considering the feelings that the dwarves had for the Noldor, that was probably an influence aswell.
Of course he was a villain! He was a criminal certainly, becoming in effect and intention a murderer. I agree that he was not always evil. Nothing truly begins in such a way.

Although I think the final decision of Tolkien was that Eöl was a Sinda of the kin of Elu, it's interesting to note that in the essay Quendi and Eldar (I think that's where it is), Eöl was an Avar, but what's more of the Tatyar, those Elves from whom came the Ñoldor. I guess it's not too remarkable, as the Tatyarin Avari rather resented the Exiled Ñoldor, "whom they accused of arrogance".

I wonder how Eöl and Thingol were related. It never says, like CÃ*rdan.

Last edited by Ñólendil : 08-17-2002 at 02:47 AM.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 02:39 AM   #20
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Nah Eol wasn't evil. Just dark.

Oh youse is talkin to da goldielocks.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote