Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 09:55 PM   #1
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Attention azalea and crickhollow and others interested in this Forum

There would be more interesting Lord of the Rings movie topics to read here if attempts to generate discussions were greeting with topic-related responses rather than insults, flames, or chat that does nothing to contribute to the discussions.

This is SUPPOSED to be a Lord of the Rings movie forum not a kindergarten class. Personally, I don't care whether the posters here are 9 or 99 as long as they are truly interested in discussing LOTR. But if you don't have anything to contribute: then don't.

A case in point is the Peter Jackson is God thread locked below. A potentially interesting discussion was highjacked by a group of juveniles intent on closing down the thread--which they did. I agree with that decision. I would have closed it much earlier if I were a moderator here. But what about the posters responsible for getting it closed? Is it okay to jump into a thread, create chaos, get it locked, and then move with no consequences?

Is that what everyone wants here?

How you feel about my views is not the point. The point is that we all should be able to have a voice here without the "thought police" squad shutting someone down because they don't like what he has to say.

It is time for some those of you who are truly interested in this board to stand up and say something.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:01 PM   #2
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Now I am afraid that what i post will be irrelavant... or rude... or unnesisary... like this one probobly is.

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
Old 01-14-2003, 10:16 PM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Arwen Undomiel

I agree with you totally!!! But I also think you invite silliness with a thread name like "Peter Jackson is God". When I did a search, Entmoot was described as "friendly". Let's keep it that way. Personally BB, I think if you used a few more smilies and verbal niceties, it would go a long way. I have agreed with you several times on both of "The Threads", yet you never bothered to "stop and smell the roses" with me! On with the debate! If you, and some of the others could lighten up a little, we could have some fun! Of course, I realize some men aren't up for smilie overload, but it works for me!

When I have a serious problem, I PM a moderator and ask for guidance.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:20 PM   #4
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by eowyngirl14
Now I am afraid that what i post will be irrelavant... or rude... or unnesisary... like this one probobly is.
yeah I hope im not being rude or something IMO, not every discussion has to be a huge thing, we have to have some fluff. like the fan girl thread, or something like that. er, I think the Pj is god thread was closed b/c it wasnt a serious discussion either...it was just someones opinion, which is always good to hear...butt.. er yeah. Peace! Be happy.
~ Celebréiel
Old 01-14-2003, 10:27 PM   #5
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

There is nothing wrong with a Peter Jackson is God title. It is provocative. That's good, not bad. The reader knows immediately that I'm a PJ fan. And it's even a title where every word is spelled correctly for a change.

And it wasn't a serious discussion only because a group of posters were allowed to trash with unserious stuff. I have nothing against anyone starting a chat thread or anything else. But this was a case where posters were allowed to destroy a discussion, not contribute to one.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:37 PM   #6
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Well... I was never at that thread... but you could have asked them politly to stop and told them you meant for it to be serious. It's hard to tell when you are reading/writing and not talking to someone face to face!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
Old 01-14-2003, 10:42 PM   #7
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I see what you're saying, but "Peter Jackson is God" conjures up an image of you on a soapbox, telling us "the way". I'd go for a blander "Movie Improvements on the Book", inviting discussion and other people's thoughts. To each his own though. It would be boring if we all had the same style. I do think this forum works best when there is polite "discussion"! I understand your frustration. I think I'll go back and read the PJIG thread again and see what naughty shenanigans went on!

Hmmm, That was annoying! (and rude!) I apologize for the silly behavior!

Last edited by Lizra : 01-14-2003 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:58 PM   #8
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Lizra is right, if you have a problem with something going on in the forum, please take it up with the moderators or admins over pm or email. This is not the right place.
Closed Thread