Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-22-1999, 02:09 AM   #1
bmilder

Who/What got you interested in the Riftwar books?

Back when Prodigy Classic still existed I loved its bulletin boards (but even 3-4 years ago its popularity as an online service was waning). I joined the "Burglar's Guild," a Tolkien "club" in the Games Bulletin Board (I guess it sprung up around the Lord of the Rings adventure game, one of my favorites). By the time I joined, there was really only one feature of the club left, that being the RPG. I liked it, but the other two regular contributors (Radagast and GG... are you guys reading this ? :P) kept including characters I had never heard of, like Pug and Kulgan. I got very annoyed, and kept trying to kill off the Riftwar characters (and then 1,000,000,000,000 orcs came and killed Pug because this is a Tolkien RPG, not Riftwar!!! ) Eventually the club died down, but I suspect that they may have just moved to get away from me . Of course, I couldn't really help being annoying, being only nine or ten or so :P. Anyway... years later, I was looking in a bookstore and I read something about "Feist's Riftwar saga." The name rang a bell, so I looked for the book mentioned, Magician: Apprentice, and looked inside. Sure enough, it was about Pug and Kulgan! I realized that was the book they had been referencing, so I read it. It was great. Of course, around that time Prodigy was dying so I never got a chance to send an email to Radagast thanking him for his "recommendation." :P
Old 11-22-1999, 02:18 AM   #2
Elanor

Re: Who/What got you interested in the Riftwar books?

My little brother again! This obsession is gone completely.
Old 11-22-1999, 02:24 AM   #3
bmilder

hey, did you get ICQ yet Elanor?

LOL, look at the difference in length between those posts
Old 11-24-1999, 03:03 AM   #4
The One Ring

Re: hey, did you get ICQ yet Elanor?

A friend of mine who handed Magician: Apprentice to me one day and said "Here, read this. You'll like it." Afterwards, I read the rest of the series, although I haven't read those Empire books, or the Serpentwar Saga.
Old 11-27-1999, 10:00 PM   #5
Gimli the Dwarf

Library

I had just finished reading all of the Redwall books and was looking around in my elementry school library for a thick book to read. I noticed Magician:Apprentice sitting on a shelf. It looked interesting, so I read it. The library only had Magician, apprentice and Master, so I coudn't read the others for a while. Last summer, when I found out there were more, I read Silverthorn, and A Darkness. I havn't been able to get my hands on Kings Buccaneer, or any of the others yet.
Old 11-27-1999, 10:49 PM   #6
emilsson

Interest in Feist´s books.....

I was in a bookstore once and two guys talked about a book excitingly. I picked it up later because I had nothing else to read. The book was Magician and I loved it from the first page.
Old 01-29-2000, 02:22 AM   #7
jedi master princess

Re: Interest in Feist´s books.....

i was in my high school library looking for something to pass the time...the cover of magician: apprentice looked interesting and the blurb was quite neato as well so i picked it up. ::goes back to jedi meditation::
Old 04-08-2001, 01:19 PM   #8
Wizard of Ozymandias

My first exposure to Feist was his story in the "Legends" anthology. A couple of years later, I was looking for something new, but good, to read, and I remembered enjoying his "Legends" piece. I looked it up, found that it was from Riftwar, and immediately went out and bought "Magician: Apprentice." I ended up reading all four Riftwar paperbacks in about three days.
Old 04-08-2001, 10:38 PM   #9
Tai daishar

I think I started with the one about Eric and Roo ( Shadow of a Dark Queen, if I recall correctly), and then my brother told me about the ones that happened before that, and on the other side of the rift. So, I read all those, and now I'm reading the new ones as they come out. Sometimes it gets a little confusing because in just about every book, there is an Arutha (sp?), even though there are a bunch of different generations.